Best looking Breed?

1 hour ago, ChrisJones said:

Naaah. Can't stand it. It's an acquired taste. What the yanks call bacon is weird too. I have to make my own using pork belly that I pick up wholesale. This is an older picture I posted elsewhere and you've probably seen it.

B1.jpg.367f1c299caecedfa5bb72325c89383f.jpgB2.jpg.b43d922432aff73a13fbc70bcaa8f16e.jpg

Not seen it Chris but gets my vote for best breed ?

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As close to perfection as I've ever come

I better not turn up for the fishing weekend and theres only one person with 20 personalitys! 

i ll always have a soft spot for horrid , rangy , fly old farm collies.  Probsbly the greatest canine connection we have 

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, eastcoast said:

The earlier debate about what defines feral was interesting. Is the Grey Squirrel, North American Mink or CWD still regarded as feral in the UK? Or truly wild?  None indigenous so must be feral I suppose. What about the wild pigs in Australasia and USA?  Canines living in the wild descendant from domestic dogs I would class as feral though, if for no other reason that their immediate truly wild ancestor has probably been extinct for thousands of years.

What's the timeframe between feral and wild? I know we all tend to use the term interchangeably but is there an actual timeframe or is even that open to personal interpretation?

To me, indigenous and non-indigenous is pretty self-explanatory but I wouldn't class the introduced species as a feral I'd say after a few generations they're truly wild. Interesting though I agree.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, ChrisJones said:

What's the timeframe between feral and wild? I know we all tend to use the term interchangeably but is there an actual timeframe or is even that open to personal interpretation?

To me, indigenous and non-indigenous is pretty self-explanatory but I wouldn't class the introduced species as a feral I'd say after a few generations they're truly wild. Interesting though I agree.

I think naturalized is the word here, for a wild species that has been relocated. Bit different to feral as you say.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

I think naturalized is the word here, for a wild species that has been relocated. Bit different to feral as you say.

Fair one Born but does that open it up further?

The dingo has been in Australia for 3-4000 years. Would you class it as feral (as a lot of Aussies do), naturalised or wild?

2 hours ago, Kerny92 said:

Absolute rubbish, you do know that APBT's have beat retrievers at their own game in competition?

I'll dig the information out soon, not trying to be cute but you seem so certain on the matter when you're wrong. 

Your at the wind there 

I know lads with labs that are at geese first thing Saturday morning on the shore then on the hill all day on the grouse or the pheasants before 3 4 days a week on the estate 

repeat ad finitum for a decade 

thats absolutely standard for a working Labrador , show me the apbt that would “beat them at their own game” 

• Like 3
42 minutes ago, eastcoast said:

The earlier debate about what defines feral was interesting. Is the Grey Squirrel, North American Mink or CWD still regarded as feral in the UK? Or truly wild?  None indigenous so must be feral I suppose. What about the wild pigs in Australasia and USA?  Canines living in the wild descendant from domestic dogs I would class as feral though, if for no other reason that their immediate truly wild ancestor has probably been extinct for thousands of years.

Oi, what's your game? Trying to bring this thread back on topic? Just let it stew and by 9-9.30 it'll be kicking off again and the telly is shite tonight.   

Nothing to see here move along.....

• Haha 3
26 minutes ago, ChrisJones said:

Fair one Born but does that open it up further?

The dingo has been in Australia for 3-4000 years. Would you class it as feral (as a lot of Aussies do), naturalised or wild?

Christ knows, but it had crossed my mind given the dingo proper was brought over by the polynesians.

Biology is such a wishy washy science anyway. LOL

5 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

Another type I like the look of. Think they’re huntaways. The black and the Black and Tan anyway.

F1606F93-77DE-449D-B721-7423F9B50753.jpeg

Some of the local farmers ended up with huntaways a while back. The one I knew was quite big around 28", would drive cattle well enough and would get in there when needed but was a bit brutal with sheep. Don't remember him being all that noisy. Could run much faster than a border on account of his size and his owner said he had taken fox, hare and rabbit (this really was before the ban). Really nice temperament, laid back, friendlier and easier to live with than most border collies. I believe hip dysplasia can crop up though.

53 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

I suppose one of the biggest differences would be the genetic differences; you take a true wild canine and compare it to a domestic dog although similar I'd imagine a a wolf is a long way off a Yorkie but I bet a released mink,muntjac or squirrel is still the same as it's true wild counterparts

28 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Your at the wind there 

I know lads with labs that are at geese first thing Saturday morning on the shore then on the hill all day on the grouse or the pheasants before 3 4 days a week on the estate 

repeat ad finitum for a decade 

thats absolutely standard for a working Labrador , show me the apbt that would “beat them at their own game” 

I have had the pleasure of watching some good labs work on shoots over the years but a few seasons back I got a invite of a good mate to shoot pinks coming of a marsh the wind was seriously howling and it was a ten metre tide he dropped a goose the lab straight in a water that could be best described a very choppy i wouldn't of put a dog in that out she came with her goose God knows how far down the river she was with her goose only to sit there quiet as a mouse for 20 mins  pissed wet through in freezing conditions till she repeated it  I couldn't see a apbt doing what she did that night likewise a lab will never do there job horses for courses as they say 

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, South hams hunter said:

Scratch that, they're 98.8 percent the same genetically so it's obviously only the pheno that varies

1.2% difference in DNA terms is pretty significant so I wouldn't let that bother you too much. I'd say you have a valid point in your first post.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, South hams hunter said:

I suppose one of the biggest differences would be the genetic differences; you take a true wild canine and compare it to a domestic dog although similar I'd imagine a a wolf is a long way off a Yorkie but I bet a released mink,muntjac or squirrel is still the same as it's true wild counterparts

My wee lads barking rat thinks it is a rottweiler or something.. great alarms! That said, surely proper yorkshire terriers can and are worked in places? Or has the fashion lobby ruined them?

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, stumfelter said:

Oi, what's your game? Trying to bring this thread back on topic? Just let it stew and by 9-9.30 it'll be kicking off again and the telly is shite tonight.   

Nothing to see here move along.....

I'm in a good mood, the job got canned last night so was only out the house 6 hours, 3 of those traveling and getting payed 12's for the honour. The joys of working on the railway....... ???

Edited by Kerny92