Most Rabbits Caught in daytime. ?

Guest vin

3 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Well shows how much yer lad thinks of ye opinion then ole yin? over an out???

I brought him up to have his own opinion,doh.As an aside he cannot source what he really wants and is not as tunnel visioned as me,the Dog i bred over a Wheaten will suit his hunting lifestyle,not mine,he mentioned it to me and asked for my approval,i told him straight,he don,t need my approval as i respect,highly,his opine on the matter and the reason for that is he earnt it.Don,t entangle yourself in a web of bullshit and vindictiveness darling,you will look out of fashion walking around Leyburn in a skirt and y fronts.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just working reed beds the old dog sleeping on the rabbits on the second picture Was a hard day for him lol 42 caughtb

The good old bad old days,we used to go all over,fanatic rabbiters,caithness,sutherland,perthshire,she borders,weardale,teesdale,north Yorkshire,malham,all over the dales,i think it would be very diff

Love it up there dan can watch the eagles great place to work dogs 

Posted Images

Slightly off topic but I occasionally get an invite from on old friend on land that he has permission of the sort that we used to take good numbers of daytime rabbits. Not a particularly remote place as to it's location as only an hour or so drive from "civilisation". But still a rugged wild place. The sort of land that must be difficult to farm. I lot of hard work for little financial reward. The kind of place that I would love to live but I'm way too soft and lazy and know nothing about farming. This particular farmer's attitude as to what is fair game is "if it eats what sheep eat kill it. If it eats sheep (lambs) kill it". My friends lurchers and terriers have long since been replaced by spaniels, shotguns and rifles. Probably a good thing considering the laws that we have now but whenever I go there my mind wonders at the sport that we could have had with "proper" dogs and no guns.

Taking good numbers is of course not always an indication of the quality of the dogs. Yes, to do it consistently and efficiently good physical type, stamina, real drive to want to carry on are needed. But sometimes dogs that have only known that, through no fault of their own, can struggle to FIND let alone catch rabbits in places that are not a rabbit Nirvana. Quality not quantity has a relevance I think.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, eastcoast said:

Slightly off topic but I occasionally get an invite from on old friend on land that he has permission of the sort that we used to take good numbers of daytime rabbits. Not a particularly remote place as to it's location as only an hour or so drive from "civilisation". But still a rugged wild place. The sort of land that must be difficult to farm. I lot of hard work for little financial reward. The kind of place that I would love to live but I'm way too soft and lazy and know nothing about farming. This particular farmer's attitude as to what is fair game is "if it eats what sheep eat kill it. If it eats sheep (lambs) kill it". My friends lurchers and terriers have long since been replaced by spaniels, shotguns and rifles. Probably a good thing considering the laws that we have now but whenever I go there my mind wonders at the sport that we could have had with "proper" dogs and no guns.

Taking good numbers is of course not always an indication of the quality of the dogs. Yes, to do it consistently and efficiently good physical type, stamina, real drive to want to carry on are needed. But sometimes dogs that have only known that, through no fault of their own, can struggle to FIND let alone catch rabbits in places that are not a rabbit Nirvana. Quality not quantity has a relevance I think.

Well said.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, morton said:

Totally agree,a mutt that as the opportunity to catch a vast amount of bunnys amidst a vast amount of bunny,s is a second rate mutt to a mutt that catches less but better,i know you will understand what im getting at.I kept company with some fecking dross jukels that mullered vast amounts of rabbits in the dales,early 80,s,lurchers that i would not feed accounted for a thousand plus rabbits in a season,in an area that these mutts would have had to use their nose,run harder,twist and turn better etc.etc. they would have been found out and thats a fact.As my griping example of a mutt and owner i detested with a vengeance,another story,the spud dog owned by Hosker caught many,many thousands of rabbits in the Dales at that time,the dog was a turd.The bitch i owned at the time i set my standards at what i wish from a runner,she caught over 300 daytime hares in a season for a few seasons,she worked with the ferrets,no nets,and accounted for vast amounts of bunny,s,the majority she worked up and pushed to ground,she was useless on fox,retrieved many a grouse,live to hand,of the local moors,mullered daytime pheasant and was an Einstein lamping bitch,she caught 15 rabbits the first time i took her lamping,and started to run the beam after about 7 runs,again in the dales.Id tell you about her highest figures on bunny,s and hares,pheasant and grouse and you and a few others would question my honesty.Would she have been as useful on ground where she would have had to graft harder and longer for a less rewarding bag,she spent the majority of her hunting cycle on such land.The dales made a few reputations,dogs and men,mostly unjustified.As you rightly pointed out far better dogs caught far,far less than the majority of the jukels running the Dales,geez though ive witnessed mutts up there that would have put any lurcher to shame,nort,south,east or west.

gary hosker that's a name from the dark and distant, I never met the man, but I gifted him a coursing pup through a mutual friend, and never got so much as a thank you.

• Haha 1
32 minutes ago, two crows said:

gary hosker that's a name from the dark and distant, I never met the man, but I gifted him a coursing pup through a mutual friend, and never got so much as a thank you.

Spent many days Malham way with GH, good chap but doesn't suffer fools lol, not aimed at you Two crows, sure he would have thanked you, he is polite, despite being a direct Yorkshireman lol

Cheers, D.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, dytkos said:

Spent many days Malham way with GH, good chap but doesn't suffer fools lol, not aimed at you Two crows, sure he would have thanked you, he is polite, despite being a direct Yorkshireman lol

Cheers, D.

I am sure he is and so am I (polite and direct that is not a Yorkshire man) but thank you don't cost nowt.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, morton said:

I brought him up to have his own opinion,doh.As an aside he cannot source what he really wants and is not as tunnel visioned as me,the Dog i bred over a Wheaten will suit his hunting lifestyle,not mine,he mentioned it to me and asked for my approval,i told him straight,he don,t need my approval as i respect,highly,his opine on the matter and the reason for that is he earnt it.Don,t entangle yourself in a web of bullshit and vindictiveness darling,you will look out of fashion walking around Leyburn in a skirt and y fronts.

He'll look the sluts nuts if he's sporting the sockless crocs an all

• Haha 1
19 hours ago, two crows said:

2 hares a day for entire season hundreds of rabbits plus a jag of pheasant and grouse with a dog that spent a lot of it's time on ground that game was hard won 

On 22 July 2018 at 22:44, two crows said:

Two crows there's many a fecking ausehole in the job he as just one a them,egos geology Cana be seen fa what it his his spud dog wouldn't get kennel space here when I was at it full tilt ,.  Why  it simply was not good enough fa me and there be plenty others thinking same. Seen some a them deny where they  got some a there jukels from ,all about feeling above the next man yes I am afraid  it's true seen it mesen on a few occasions .atb bill

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, billhardy said:

Two crows there's many a fecking ausehole in the job he as just one a them,egos geology Cana be seen fa what it his his spud dog wouldn't get kennel space here when I was at it full tilt ,.  Why  it simply was not good enough fa me and there be plenty others thinking same. Seen some a them deny where they  got some a there jukels from ,all about feeling above the next man yes I am afraid  it's true seen it mesen on a few occasions .atb bill

Used to read the stories in edrd thought it were ace just shows you how wrong you can be 

• Haha 2
On 23 July 2018 at 22:22, Black neck said:

Used to read the stories in edrd thought it were ace just shows you how wrong you can be 

Thems just stories the fecking jukel would not catch a handful on winter wheat where you reside blacky  fact .atb bill