Most Rabbits Caught in daytime. ?

Guest vin

1 minute ago, king said:

the dog will feel the bumps from the rabbit's underground coming through there feet.if the dog feels more bump's through it's back feet then it know's to turn around etc.or bumps coming from the left or right hand side.

I ain't ferreted wi dogs for years mate in fact don't even break the dogs to em now just keep couple ferrets for road sides and such like wi nets if I ferrets the local ground could clear it in a month  like me bushing about and lamp job

• Like 1

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just working reed beds the old dog sleeping on the rabbits on the second picture Was a hard day for him lol 42 caughtb

The good old bad old days,we used to go all over,fanatic rabbiters,caithness,sutherland,perthshire,she borders,weardale,teesdale,north Yorkshire,malham,all over the dales,i think it would be very diff

Love it up there dan can watch the eagles great place to work dogs 

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Black neck said:

I ain't ferreted wi dogs for years mate in fact don't even break the dogs to em now just keep couple ferrets for road sides and such like wi nets if I ferrets the local ground could clear it in a month  like me bushing about and lamp job

ah i enjoy walking over a frosty field with the ferret's and dog for a day's ferreting.if the dog mark's he's 100% right and i know we are in for some action.the 2 terrier's here are bomb proof around the ferret's aswell.saying that the dog's are parrot proof and turtle proof lol.it's like a fecking zoo here.

• Haha 1

Trouble is ...you get bored when they get good at it like that.... you start craving more exciting runs... lol.

I've got my 2 working in tandem as a team and that is something special to see. You start enjoying the misses more than the catches.

It's the moments when you get double or triple bolts simultaneously that make it interesting and seriously good fun.

I can remember Tomo cursing my old dog for losing 3 in a row many many years ago....  Catch one , another bolt, drops one chases the other catches it, then drops it chasing another...3 times in a row.... heheheeee. he was fuming... thats £6 your fooooking mutts just cost us !     PRICELESS!

5 minutes ago, vin said:

Trouble is ...you get bored when they get good at it like that.... you start craving more exciting runs... lol.

I've got my 2 working in tandem as a team and that is something special to see. You start enjoying the misses more than the catches.

It's the moments when you get double or triple bolts simultaneously that make it interesting and seriously good fun.

I can remember Tomo cursing my old dog for losing 3 in a row many many years ago....  Catch one , another bolt, drops one chases the other catches it, then drops it chasing another...3 times in a row.... heheheeee. he was fuming... thats £6 your fooooking mutts just cost us !     PRICELESS!

Your right mate its great fun but it looses it a bit when you bring the dreaded pound into it , i used to break down numbers against fuel etc now i just take it . its a another night out bonding with my son LOL 

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, The one said:

Your right mate its great fun but it looses it a bit when you bring the dreaded pound into it , i used to break down numbers against fuel etc now i just take it . its a another night out bonding with my son LOL 

I break it down numbers to rizlas 

Hoping for a whole packet this year will be a first

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
53 minutes ago, The one said:

Tomo used to net every hole and sometimes even long net the warrens to make sure.... we used to never miss or leave a single bunny.  But that was many seasons ago. 

Numbers game gets boring. . . . these days we enjoy our sport. I don't use nets anywhere I ferret...even locally where you need a Whippet to catch em.

The only time the nets are used is when I'm on a paid pest control job etc.

11 minutes ago, nothernlite said:

Must admit you do find bolting for the dogs does get a bit boring prefer working the reed beds or the heather more exciting 

Cannot beat sitting on top of the hill looking down on the dogs working the cover... My two have some serious communications skills going on when they work this way.

I watched Tomo work a reed bed off with his little Whippet type a few seasons ago while I was ferreting at the top of the moor... He had a few out with the little dog and moved onto another area further away....but because the dog is smaller than the height of the cover it could not see the rabbits that me and my 2 dogs were watching it miss further ahead in the cover as it was catching stuff in front of itself etc.

Anyway, when I'd removed the ferrets from the warren I was on...I sent my 2 dogs down to where he had been and I sat on the box and had a cuppa and a butty while the dogs worked it off and brought me 15 bunnies back up the hill into a nice pile while I watched... Tomo also watched from his spot that he'd climbed back up to and couldn't believe how many they'd found.

September walking the reed beds is one of my favorite ways to have a walk with the dogs.

29 minutes ago, vin said:

Tomo used to net every hole and sometimes even long net the warrens to make sure.... we used to never miss or leave a single bunny.  But that was many seasons ago. 

Numbers game gets boring. . . . these days we enjoy our sport. I don't use nets anywhere I ferret...even locally where you need a Whippet to catch em.

The only time the nets are used is when I'm on a paid pest control job etc.

90% of our land is big hedges, we hardly ever purse net them, a few nets across the top and a few stop nets out from the bottom and the dogs do the rest, a good terrier is great on top of the hedges and will catch as many as the runners when snatching straight out the hole..

Used to long net everything, as some places they wanted cleared, we had big numbers but not the fun of bolting for the dogs.. there's a few open buries on different permissions but nothing like the places you lads hunt....

9 minutes ago, vin said:

Cannot beat sitting on top of the hill looking down on the dogs working the cover... My two have some serious communications skills going on when they work this way.

I watched Tomo work a reed bed off with his little Whippet type a few seasons ago while I was ferreting at the top of the moor... He had a few out with the little dog and moved onto another area further away....but because the dog is smaller than the height of the cover it could not see the rabbits that me and my 2 dogs were watching it miss further ahead in the cover as it was catching stuff in front of itself etc.

Anyway, when I'd removed the ferrets from the warren I was on...I sent my 2 dogs down to where he had been and I sat on the box and had a cuppa and a butty while the dogs worked it off and brought me 15 bunnies back up the hill into a nice pile while I watched... Tomo also watched from his spot that he'd climbed back up to and couldn't believe how many they'd found.

September walking the reed beds is one of my favorite ways to have a walk with the dogs.

Fantastic nothing better use to wrk 3 small dogs at one time and they all knew thete place it is great to watch 

• Like 1