45 minutes ago, Busher100 said:

Usually yes a experienced dog with one that's not seen nothing but even 2 novice dogs should kill a fox between them. And for the other half of your post at least we agree on something and aslong as they do what YOU want them for then everything is good and well.

Okay, so what dog would do everything YOU want them to do? What's your perfect dog, assuming you actually own one>  

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its a mystery, why the miscellany of rough and broken coated lurchers, (many of Deerhound origins),...have disappeared off the scene.? Perhaps we now have far more versatile hunting dogs, mostly

During the late 1980s, we put the first cross Deerhound/Greyhounds back to sheepdog blooded lurchers,..they were smashing dogs,..far more versatile than the F1... 

? I would always prefer a physically gifted dog that has twigged on, to use his natural gears to run slow when required, over a naturally slow dog that cannot ever hope to produce pace, or find a spee

Posted Images

1 hour ago, fred90 said:

when was last time anyone saw a deerhound?

There are 5, 3 owned by one person, that live about 3 miles from me, the other 2 owned by 2 different people, that live less than a 5 minute walk from me. I See them pretty regularly. The first 3 I mentioned are owned by someone that really does understand the breed, and has had the same and very similar breeding for years, and his dogs are phenominal animals. The other 2 are owned by people that are swayed by all this crufts shite etc, and the difference between the first 3 dogs is alas quite shameful

18 minutes ago, shaaark said:

There are 5, 3 owned by one person, that live about 3 miles from me, the other 2 owned by 2 different people, that live less than a 5 minute walk from me. I See them pretty regularly. The first 3 I mentioned are owned by someone that really does understand the breed, and has had the same and very similar breeding for years, and his dogs are phenominal animals. The other 2 are owned by people that are swayed by all this crufts shite etc, and the difference between the first 3 dogs is alas quite shameful

at least there's 3 good ones.i haven't seen one good or bad for years.even in 80s&90s i don't think i ever saw a genuine first cross 

3 hours ago, Busher100 said:

Doubling up on a dogs first fox is what most lads do. Somebody else has already said it but you must of not been listening so I'll repeat it. All the time, effort and training In the world will not make a dog like teeth they either have it in them or they aint. Heart is one of the things you can't train into a dog. If what your saying was the case I could pick any lurcher and turn it into a top notch fox dog which everyone will tell you is bullshit and untrue.

regards lurchers killing foxes  pre ban , you are right mate, it either in them or it's, not to have a ruck with charlie . most lurcher what ever the x, will start out up for it, but once they been pecked few times by charlie , alot of dogs can and do think fook it , rabbits are easier  lol . And it really how many foxes  your dog deals with in a night /day   per week, people who did it as there main sport  before the ban, and were happy with there dogs  doing that job, thats where you look for a proper fox dog  in my opinion  .!!   

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Busher100 said:

A racey bull X which is what I own

Am shocked.?

It wouldn't be a discussion about deerhound x without a bull x owner kicking off about how rubbish they are on fox/deer/rat/rabbit. Anyhow I hope your dog gives you as much happiness as mine. I am sure it will.   

6 hours ago, Phil Lloyd said:

Its a mystery, why the miscellany of rough and broken coated lurchers, (many of Deerhound origins),...have disappeared off the scene.?

Perhaps we now have far more versatile hunting dogs, mostly created for a purpose, ie; the Saluki and Bull blooded lurchers. :clapper:

Maybe our beautiful Deerhound hybrids belong to another era, sadly long gone, when lads used to go out and simply enjoy seeing their running dogs in action, unburdened with the stress of fretting and worrying, as to whether their jukels did this, or did that,....? back then it was great craic,...the lurcher world was innocent and did not seem, quite so intense and complicated.?

I loved the 1970s and 80s,...yes, I gathered up a few convictions,.but that was part and parcel of freelancing,...and I will never forget,  watching my fabulous Deerhound lurchers, just moving about, covering the ground with their easy-going gait, and thinking, my goodness, how proud I am to own, such great looking canines...

They were also pretty functional,...and we captured a few bits and pieces as well....which was nice...?

Looks like Australia Phil?? ?

14 minutes ago, PJCaswell said:

Am shocked.?

It wouldn't be a discussion about deerhound x without a bull x owner kicking off about how rubbish they are on fox/deer/rat/rabbit. Anyhow I hope your dog gives you as much happiness as mine. I am sure it will.   

Mate you even said yourself your dog wouldn't be up for a few fox's. To me your dog is not much use but I bet if you tried a racey bull X they would surprise you not all bull xs are big slow heavy things get one with a drop of bull and they will do most jobs bar being a fen dog.