2 hours ago, Busher100 said:

But how many times have the those original coursing animals been put back to pure salukis and straight saluki Grey's I'm sure if you worked out the amount of beddy blood in them it would probably be less than a 1/16

your bitch that's retrieving all these foxes regularly, is it down to the minuscule amount of bull blood or all the greyhound blood, who can really say

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its a mystery, why the miscellany of rough and broken coated lurchers, (many of Deerhound origins),...have disappeared off the scene.? Perhaps we now have far more versatile hunting dogs, mostly

During the late 1980s, we put the first cross Deerhound/Greyhounds back to sheepdog blooded lurchers,..they were smashing dogs,..far more versatile than the F1... 

? I would always prefer a physically gifted dog that has twigged on, to use his natural gears to run slow when required, over a naturally slow dog that cannot ever hope to produce pace, or find a spee

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Busher100 said:

Do you think the rough coat still hangs about because alot of the coursing dogs go back to the same early dogs basically line breeding keeping it with in the type

yes it def comes from way back, and we keep breeding it in, most of the early saluki bred dogs were of lurchers not greyhounds so could be any thing in their makeup.

11 hours ago, Gilbey said:

your bitch that's retrieving all these foxes regularly, is it down to the minuscule amount of bull blood or all the greyhound blood, who can really say

She's not yet been tested an has had half a dozen or so since 12 month upto now 15 month none were planned and all were in the day whilst walking. Shes had 80 or so rabbits from lamping between 10 and 12 month then we stopped for the season. She will be tested this season coming properly and if she fails I will have no problem telling you so and start again. Gilbey what dogs do you run aslong as they ain't fen dogs we can see who's got what this season?

• Haha 2

oh from your posts I took it she was older and bang at it. I'm not wanting a walk out lol, was just saying who's to say what effect little bits and bobs have when there's loads of other blood in there, and your just breeding off workers

No that's just my standard and I wouldn't keep a dog that wasn't upto what I want it for that wouldn't make sense would it? When you said " the miniscule amount of bull or all the greyhound blood" I took it that you were trying to say shes not upto it. Hence I offered you to come and make your own mind up. By the way she just under 1/4 bull so not that "miniscule" haha 

nah just remembered you had a similarly diluted hound, think 3/16 is a tiny amount depending how they come.

forget your dogs then, if the same keen coursing fellas had set off with just purebreds and bred them best to best imo they'd end up at the same place, just it would take ages and who's going to do that

2 hours ago, Gilbey said:

nah just remembered you had a similarly diluted hound, think 3/16 is a tiny amount depending how they come.

forget your dogs then, if the same keen coursing fellas had set off with just purebreds and bred them best to best imo they'd end up at the same place, just it would take ages and who's going to do that

Exactly, when they crossed their lurchers to salukis they must've had some good animals in every generation right up to today. If they'd only had salukis and greys it would have been a lot harder.

In the same vein I reckon an F1 deer/grey would benefit from outcrossing to one of the deer/pit/grey strains being bred in Ireland ATM or to something like the  pups Scottish hare hunter has bred from his dog to the deer/grey bitch. Even when better deerhounds were available than there are now, Bill Doherty himself said the mixed deerhound lurchers were better than the F1's or pures.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Maximus Ferret said:

Exactly, when they crossed their lurchers to salukis they must've had some good animals in every generation right up to today. If they'd only had salukis and greys it would have been a lot harder.

In the same vein I reckon an F1 deer/grey would benefit from outcrossing to one of the deer/pit/grey strains being bred in Ireland ATM or to something like the  pups Scottish hare hunter has bred from his dog to the deer/grey bitch. Even when better deerhounds were available than there are now, Bill Doherty himself said the mixed deerhound lurchers were better than the F1's or pures.

I said that 

1 hour ago, Maximus Ferret said:

by purebreds I meant just pure salukis?

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Gilbey said:

by purebreds I meant just pure salukis?

I realised that but I feel that breeding pure sals, best to best, wouldn't have produced anything like todays coursing/fen dogs. Not yet anyway. They're just too different. Even a fast type saluki is a good bit different to a fast "up and att'em" type fen dog. People may disagree but that's my opinion.

Edited by Maximus Ferret
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, Gilbey said:

you also said they were just like any other small lurcher, I've always thought the same, how much deerhound was in them

Well not small medium sized his bitch yella 

Smooth coated black had 80 odd rabbits in anight if some one told you it was a col or beddy or ote you wunt argue percentage wise i dont know 

Im not knocking the bloke he put it out there be writing a book about the feckrr

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Maximus Ferret said:

I realised that but I feel that breeding pure sals, best to best, wouldn't have produced anything like todays coursing/fen dogs. Not yet anyway. They're just too different. Even a fast type saluki is a good bit different to a fast "up and att'em" type fen dog. People may disagree but that's my opinion.

no definitely not yet and I don't disagree about the zip?