• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its a mystery, why the miscellany of rough and broken coated lurchers, (many of Deerhound origins),...have disappeared off the scene.? Perhaps we now have far more versatile hunting dogs, mostly

During the late 1980s, we put the first cross Deerhound/Greyhounds back to sheepdog blooded lurchers,..they were smashing dogs,..far more versatile than the F1... 

? I would always prefer a physically gifted dog that has twigged on, to use his natural gears to run slow when required, over a naturally slow dog that cannot ever hope to produce pace, or find a spee

Posted Images

9 hours ago, David stockwell said:

Whos breeding the best deerhound greyhouns 

Australians, we call them staghounds they are one of the most popular breeds over here, and make reasonable all rounders if you get the mix right. I think because our deerhounds have been bred for many generations primarily for hunting, is why they are still old school type here.

StagHounds.jpg

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Busher100 said:

I heard cookland deer Grey's are decent but I ain't seen any in the field, what do you want it for mate as a different cross may be better suited

Not having a dig here mate, but does it really matter what he wants it for, or if there are better types suited to what he wants it for? He wants a first cross deerhound/greyhound ?

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Black neck said:

Maybe you have to under go initiation like wi the bobcocks of scotland

Only for the elite mate only 2 have crossed the border and they will be coming back to where they belong soon good luck in your search David 

• Haha 2
2 minutes ago, nothernlite said:

Only for the elite mate only 2 have crossed the border and they will be coming back to where they belong soon good luck in your search David 

Well im not giving up i bin shoving wasp nests down me grippers twice a week in preparation

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, shaaark said:

Not having a dig here mate, but does it really matter what he wants it for, or if there are better types suited to what he wants it for? He wants a first cross deerhound/greyhound ?

I know mate but if he has a certain job in mind and rears the pup finds out it ain't up to the job he intended it for it will save some heart ache but if it's not to be a serious worker just a pet that catches a bit most any lurcher will do

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Busher100 said:

I know mate but if he has a certain job in mind and rears the pup finds out it ain't up to the job he intended it for it will save some heart ache but if it's not to be a serious worker just a pet that catches a bit most any lurcher will do

What jobs cant they do bush

Never had one mate but if he's after retrieving fox in numbers most nights of the week a deer grey would not be what I'd want but that just me I await the fella to respond who was doing 3 and 4 a night 4 nights with a deer grey to reply. But if he wants a dog thats a bit of a allrounder and not a specific qaurry I'd imagine they'd cope well enough.

1 minute ago, Busher100 said:

Never had one mate but if he's after retrieving fox in numbers most nights of the week a deer grey would not be what I'd want but that just me I await the fella to respond who was doing 3 and 4 a night 4 nights with a deer grey to reply. But if he wants a dog thats a bit of a allrounder and not a specific qaurry I'd imagine they'd cope well enough.

I wouldnt have thought a f1 would be ideal for the coursing job either but maybe im just being provocative hee hee