starting off with something and trying to change it into something that already exists is pointless, what phil said  about purpose bred dogs is spot on, if hares are your thing you know what to get, same for fox or deer, there are hundreds of great rabbiting lurchers out there, so why bother trying to go back in time, however if the dear hound cross lights your fire go for it and be happy,  as I have got older I don't take  my self ore my dogs to seriously and my enjoyment has gone up as a result.

• Like 5

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its a mystery, why the miscellany of rough and broken coated lurchers, (many of Deerhound origins),...have disappeared off the scene.? Perhaps we now have far more versatile hunting dogs, mostly

During the late 1980s, we put the first cross Deerhound/Greyhounds back to sheepdog blooded lurchers,..they were smashing dogs,..far more versatile than the F1... 

? I would always prefer a physically gifted dog that has twigged on, to use his natural gears to run slow when required, over a naturally slow dog that cannot ever hope to produce pace, or find a spee

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Busher100 said:

If you end up with a chainsaw the breeding program was a success because you've got better than what you started with

Not if you wanted a better bowsaw. Incidentally, I make part of my living doing tree work and all arborists and ntree surgeons do use handsaws as well as chainsaws.

1 minute ago, two crows said:

starting off with something and trying to change it into something that already exists is pointless, what phil said  about purpose bred dogs is spot on, if hares are your thing you know what to get, same for fox or deer, there are hundreds of great rabbiting lurchers out there, so why bother trying to go back in time, however if the dear hound cross lights your fire go for it and be happy,  as I have got older I don't take  my self ore my dogs to seriously and my enjoyment has gone up as a result.

Thats kind of what i meant the crows but but i used saws as a euphenism

Ohh get me

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Maximus Ferret said:

Not if you wanted a better bowsaw. Incidentally, I make part of my living doing tree work and all arborists and ntree surgeons do use handsaws as well as chainsaws.

You use a pruning saw and a chain saw you never use a bow saw admit it

Out of interest, does anyone think that the bedlington blood in the back pedigrees of most top strains of fendog or coursing dog makes them better than hounds with only saluki and greyhound in them?

My own feeling is that it does because although testing and selection over generations has obviously been the primary factor the mixture of breeds provided the raw material to work on in the first place.

Edited by Maximus Ferret
7 minutes ago, Maximus Ferret said:

Out of interest, does anyone think that the bedlington blood in the back pedigrees of most top strains of fendog or coursing dog makes them better than hounds with only saluki and greyhound in them?

My own feeling is that it does because although testing and selection over generations has obviously been the primary factor the mixture of breeds provided the raw material to work on in the first place.

4 minutes ago, Busher100 said:

I'd of thought it would be so diluted it wouldn't make a difference

yes to both it is diluted, but it made the early dogs what they were and that makes the present  dogs what they are, coursing bred bitch with bedy blood 40 odd years ago and present  day line bred bitch.

038.JPG

DSCF2518 (2).JPG

• Like 4

But how many times have the those original coursing animals been put back to pure salukis and straight saluki Grey's I'm sure if you worked out the amount of beddy blood in them it would probably be less than a 1/16

1 minute ago, Busher100 said:

But how many times have the those original coursing animals been put back to pure salukis and straight saluki Grey's I'm sure if you worked out the amount of beddy blood in them it would probably be less than a 1/16

your correct, with these dogs today the peds are written down, and percentage wise there nearly pure saluki but very different , our version if you like, and nothing else needs to be added, they are complete and need keeping so.