Smart meters

Mrs. Gets a phone call about once every 2 weeks from EDF asking if they can install smart meters here. Last time I took the call and told them to stop pestering us or we'd change suppliers lol I have heard that it's hard work changing providers if you have one fitted so feck em.

Cheers, D.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anything the govt or power companies want you to do has to be a bad idea! Where did I put that tinfoil ...

Don't get them there made in Russia and if the current situation gets worse it releases novichok into you're home.

I know quite a few lads who refuse to have them,they show their 12/12 and 18/6 usage 

Problem is if you have one and are self employed and they see a large usage from a side shed or whatever. Then they will call around looking for commercial rates. The fool that came to fit my new build electric broke the feed rope in pipe and then rang me to tell me I failed to install pipe and rope correctly. I told him he was a Dick and he must be very strong to snap a 15 mm rope except the knob on the digger dug out for the pole and threw the soil on top of the open pipe and rope so they pulled rope with digger. He left wire there and told me to pull it through myself. I was always sorry because my electrician told me to branch a wire across to garage and put in a 2nd fuse board and they wouldn't know. I could of ran my house for 50 every 2 months. I'm here 10 year now and could of saved 10 to 15 thousand in that period because the lazy Cnut wouldn't clear topsoil off top of pipe.

13 hours ago, Kay said:

I have got one & i seem to be feeding it all the time ..mine tells me nothing other than how quick the balance is going down .. I was thinking the other day my council tax & gas/ electric is nearly as much as my mortgage was monthly .

maybe its just because i can see it in the house but when i had my old meters i didn't stick as much cash in them or didn't seem to :sad:

the only reason its more money now is the unit price of elecy keeps going up....its going up again soon we had a letter last month....

we have one its far easier than going to the shop and getting money on a key as we are on prepaid....just do it online ....mind you the site is often down wich can be a fecker when your down to your last few pence....

but the benefit is you get £20 emergency rather than a fiver like the old days....and even if you go over that in an eavening it will not go off till 11 am the next day....

however if you go over the £20 emergency ...you have to put this massive 20 didgit type code number in to the metre...and that code is difrent every time you go over

They've been badgering me for months and months here... got a call bout 6 weeks ago... either we do it or we cut you off ?

Turns out it's now compulsory in Spain ?

That's what happens when politicians families own utility companies! (Franco's in this case)

CNUTS!

8 hours ago, TOMO said:

the only reason its more money now is the unit price of elecy keeps going up....its going up again soon we had a letter last month....

we have one its far easier than going to the shop and getting money on a key as we are on prepaid....just do it online ....mind you the site is often down wich can be a fecker when your down to your last few pence....

but the benefit is you get £20 emergency rather than a fiver like the old days....and even if you go over that in an eavening it will not go off till 11 am the next day....

however if you go over the £20 emergency ...you have to put this massive 20 didgit type code number in to the metre...and that code is difrent every time you go over

I love & loath this token meter in equal measure....I moan all winter as i am topping up all the time but once the heating goes off a tenner a month does the gas :laugh:..... I think I rather have it that way than paying £ 60 a month all year DD 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, TOMO said:

What? Can't you just stick a ten bob bit in like the old days?

Like all things that monitor you either directly or indirectly, it ain't going  to be for your benefit.  What's important is what they "do" with the data that you have no control over.  Collecting lots of data from a given area will very quickly "flag" anomalies good and bad. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Meece said:

I thought that putting cash in meters was back from the middle ages !! How do they work now? Why has anyone got one ?

It's not actual cash it's a key you just put money on it at a paypont. Then stick key in metre. There was one in this house when I moved here.i just kept it co op is just along the road so it no hassle really. No bills 

1 hour ago, Meece said:

I thought that putting cash in meters was back from the middle ages !! How do they work now? Why has anyone got one ?

this meter i have got is a pay as you go basically....i stick whatever amount i want onto my account online ... so rather than a static 12 monthly payment by direct debit for £ 60  for dual fuel all year i pay for what i use... so in the summer i might only stick a fiver on the gas to cover the standing charge for a good few months then when the heating gets use i just stick on what it needs to cover the higher usage 

it frees up money for me in the warmer months & its not in there bank account :victory:

We've always paid when the quarterly bill comes in. All I have to do is check that the reading or estimated is about what it should be. If you use it you pay for it. Simple. Surely you are paying a lot more per unit by messing about with keys. We have just switched supplier and saved a projected £250 next year.  Day Unit prices down nearly 50%  night unit prices the same. I do have to read meter every month though and email it through. Still quarterly bill.

• Like 1