Morals Gone Or Marbles Lost??

After much deliberation and head scratching me and the misses have decided we are going to buy the council house that we have lived in for over 30 yrs, i have never really agreed with the sale of social housing as i believed that once they have all gone there would be nowhere for the kids to live, the house prices here {the lake district} are ridiculous with x council houses selling at over two hundred thousand a peice, problem now is most of the young locals don't get a look in at the houses as they are still filling them up with eastern europeans, 5 council houses in our st have polish families in them.

So now i have got that bit of my chest, am i mad at 54 yrs old to even think about taking out a mortgage ? we can get the full discount off the house which turns out at just short of 80 grand discount, the mortgage is roughly about £40 a week more than we pay rent but the rent will keep going up, i have nearly convinced myself that it is the [BANNED TEXT] thing to do and it is the only way that my offspring have of ever getting a house round here.

At least the sausageRolls wont get there hands on it.

look forward to your views.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It needs new kitchen, bathroom and windows but we are hoping to use that fact to keep the price down, i can do all of that myself at a later date, their standard of work is so crap that it is easier a

Buy it even if it's just for your kids

I'd buy it. Pretty sure Right to Buy has ended in Scotland and will everywhere else soon enough. I don't agree with the sale of social housing either in principle, but why shouldn't you benefit like

Buy it even if it's just for your kids

as above.

buy it. you are paying rent which is dead money. at least when you are buying it you will have something instead of the council getting your money. nice nest egg for when your older

I went in for buying my place when I was 21 & paid it off at 46 the feeling when I paid the last bit off was brilliant.. 250 quid a month better off .... if your mortgage is over a shortish period it will be paid off in no time :thumbs:

I'd buy it. Pretty sure Right to Buy has ended in Scotland and will everywhere else soon enough.

I don't agree with the sale of social housing either in principle, but why shouldn't you benefit like so many others? It's not you that made the decision to sell the house.

My old fella lived in a council house for over 40 years and refused to buy it, even though I encouraged him to, and even offered him money to. When he died it went to a family with 4 kids.., just like the one I grew up in, but unlike my family, the parents are fat lazy f*ckers who don't/won't work for a living.That to me is not what social housing is for so f**k it mate, get it done.

• Like 3

Its a licence to print money mate best thing Maggie ever did i bought mine sold it 4 years to the day later used it to pay the deposit on this place paid off my mortgage by the time i was 53 you will never get a chance like that again and council house are well maintained

I lost my first house due to the pit strike and ended up in a council house that I bought after being in it for 20 years tbh it was the best thing I did concerning how much rent a week I would be paying now theirs other people I know that wish they had done the same I think it was the fear of being out of work that put a lot of folk off especialy in an area that's seen the jobs in mining and the steelworks disappear.