Bbc Hunting Agenda ?

I think Beefy's spot on. Agenda or not you have to look at the potential trap you may be walking into and stick to the facts. The problems our side have is massive amounts of infighting and terrible PR.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quite right. I think a lot of it is down to "he who shouts loudest..." When I started out with lurchers thirty years ago I got the impression, from the books available at the time, that we needed to b

There's an awful lot who will dismiss Beefy's idea on grounds of cruelty, animal abuse and all the usual bollox arguments.....then they'll nip of to Tesco, for a bit more cellophane wrapped, antibioti

I wouldn't worry about the antis, their agenda is well known. The most worrying part is the back stabbing amongst the different field sports instead of supporting each other's country pursuits to the

At the shoot where I help out the keeper you can see the difference shooting makes, goldies, chaffs, yellowhammers and other birds feeding at the feeders, good hedges for nesting in, all sorts in the cover crops and mixed woodland. Stop the shooting and the lot will go....

• Like 4

At the shoot where I help out the keeper you can see the difference shooting makes, goldies, chaffs, yellowhammers and other birds feeding at the feeders, good hedges for nesting in, all sorts in the cover crops and mixed woodland. Stop the shooting and the lot will go....

Same here, mate.

You could call them unintended consequences of shooting.....

What the tree huggers fail to understand is that we don't just manage game birds, but that we care about, care for and respect nature as a whole !

• Like 5

Look at Altcar before, and after, the ban...

• Like 4

Same here, mate.

You could call them unintended consequences of shooting.....

What the tree huggers fail to understand is that we don't just manage game birds, but that we care about, care for and respect nature as a whole !

I remember watching a programme on the tv years ago with the bloke from the Who who runs/ran a shoot or area for fishing and he was saying the same i.e. if he left it "to nature", as the current band of bunny huggers were recommending him to do, you'd end up with a monotonous jungle of bramble etc with none of the diversity that you get from coppicing etc.

It's the bigger picture that a lot of them fail to get and they only focus on one species at a time.

• Like 2

A fact I've come to realise recently is that the majority of people opposed to hunting, not necessarily vocal antis but everyday folk, don't really give a shit about conservation. They only really care that animals are given equal rights to humans and hence humans aren't allowed to derive enjoyment from hunting them. Arguments that state that killing through hunting is bad for conservation are only given to add weight to their cause, the reality is that conservation or ecology barely crosses their minds!

If banning hunting black bear directly caused the population to crash the following years, they would still want it banned. The conservation effects would be an afterthought, if indeed they were at all aware of them.

Likewise, as hunters we don't go out to hunt or choose this lifestyle with the primary goal of protecting wildlife and vulnerable ecosystems! Pretending we do just sets us up to be shown to be "liers who are desperately attempting to justify their blood-lust", something that has been used against us plenty before. But conservation and hunting does go hand in hand and should remain a strong focus of ours to add weight to our argument of justification.

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 5

Was at the zoo this summer with the wife and wee one. When we came out there was a bunch of wee overweight girls with hair dyed unatural bright colours trying to give people coming out the zoo flyers to petition against keeping animals in the zoo. Could understand if it was a shady circus but its a zoo ffs. Conservationists and biologists with degrees in their professions working around the clock trying to educate people and doing there best with breeding programmes to try and save endangered species, most antis are deluded eejits that use animal products every day without knowing it. Fair play to botham for trying to help people who are struggling.

• Like 2

I wouldn't worry about the antis, their agenda is well known. The most worrying part is the back stabbing amongst the different field sports instead of supporting each other's country pursuits to the last. Instead of throwing each other under the bus they should protect all forms of hunting as a whole. Lurcher men are frowned upon by most other types. There is coursing clubs that would happily report and slash the tyres of lads they presume are running hares that they seem to think they own. There is Deer stalkers who lease land a hundred miles from home off of absentee landlords and think they own the deer because they payed somebody who didn't own the deer either for rights and will happily grass up a man who is born and reared in the area for taking one for the freezer to help feed his family. Some of the game shooting fraternity would sell out terrierwork to be banned in the morning as a deal to save shooting pheasants been banned. Trout fishermen kill pike to protect trout. Pike fishermen then hate them in return. They all promote catch and release but kill them on competition day to win a rod and have bragging rights over the man fishing the same stretch of river out of spite.Some gunclubs have a divine hatred of each other over boundaries overlapping, and Some pheasant poachers instead of sneaking a bird and leaving, they will kick holes in release pens and break up bird feeders out of spite with no benefit to anyone. I know the majority of hunting people are good honest salt of the earth people but a lot of sh1t stirring goes on and If all those different fraternity's spent more time helping each other and worked as a unit then we wouldn't have to worry about antis because we would be strong enough to tell them to fcuk off.

• Like 6

I heard some gobshite on the radio the other morning talking about banning milk production because it's cruel to take new born calves away from the cows to produce milk for the market. Best of luck with that one trying to convince people to eat there cornflakes dry ???. It's probably up there with bread as the largest multi billion dollar food necessity we have and there is not a chance in hell of it stopping. When there is idiots out there seriously contemplating taking on that challenge then best of luck to them as I wouldn't worry myself too much about their intentions. The more of that the better as people are starting to see the fruitcakes that they are.

I know I'm dropping a clanger into the echo chamber, but....

Listened to the interview.

I thought Botham came across as belligerent, woefully under-prepared, and a bit of a cock. (Mind you, I've always considered him belligerent and a bit of a cock). I don't hunt or shoot; I do eat game.

Yes it's a good idea to do something with the thousands (millions?) of unwanted dead birds that are a byproduct of the shooting sports industry.

And also good PR for shoots to support the charity, which is based just off Regent Street.

But he must be exceptionally naive, or otherwise quite arrogant, to enter into an interview on this subject and not to have been prepared to be challenged to justify the fact that this huge waste exists because some people like shooting birds for sport.

He had an opportunity to put a cogent argument across and failed.

Whether or not the BBC or, more correctly, the interviewer had 'an agenda'........it would be interesting to know who initiated the interview.