Bbc Hunting Agenda ?

I know I'm dropping a clanger into the echo chamber, but....

Listened to the interview.

I thought Botham came across as belligerent, woefully under-prepared, and a bit of a cock. (Mind you, I've always considered him belligerent and a bit of a cock). I don't hunt or shoot; I do eat game.

Yes it's a good idea to do something with the thousands (millions?) of unwanted dead birds that are a byproduct of the shooting sports industry.

And also good PR for shoots to support the charity, which is based just off Regent Street.

But he must be exceptionally naive, or otherwise quite arrogant, to enter into an interview on this subject and not to have been prepared to be challenged to justify the fact that this huge waste exists because some people like shooting birds for sport.

He had an opportunity to put a cogent argument across and failed.

Whether or not the BBC or, more correctly, the interviewer had 'an agenda'........it would be interesting to know who initiated the interview.

For someone who admits they do not hunt or shoot , can i ask why you are a member of this site, as for millions of unwanted dead birds where do derive your figures from what source. The BBC is strictly controlled and very biased in its opinion to field sports, i have first hand knowledge of this when i was pre interviewed on a so called live radio show and refused permission to speak because my views were considered too radical, do not speak to me about freedom of speech in this country, censorship is at its peak with the british media.

• Like 2

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quite right. I think a lot of it is down to "he who shouts loudest..." When I started out with lurchers thirty years ago I got the impression, from the books available at the time, that we needed to b

There's an awful lot who will dismiss Beefy's idea on grounds of cruelty, animal abuse and all the usual bollox arguments.....then they'll nip of to Tesco, for a bit more cellophane wrapped, antibioti

I wouldn't worry about the antis, their agenda is well known. The most worrying part is the back stabbing amongst the different field sports instead of supporting each other's country pursuits to the

I thought Botham came across as belligerent, woefully under-prepared, and a bit of a cock. (Mind you, I've always considered him belligerent and a bit of a cock). I don't hunt or shoot; I do eat game.

Yes it's a good idea to do something with the thousands (millions?) of unwanted dead birds that are a byproduct of the shooting sports industry.

And also good PR for shoots to support the charity, which is based just off Regent Street.

But he must be exceptionally naive, or otherwise quite arrogant, to enter into an interview on this subject and not to have been prepared to be challenged to justify the fact that this huge waste exists because some people like shooting birds for sport.

Whether or not the BBC or, more correctly, the interviewer had 'an agenda'........it would be interesting to know who initiated the interview.

For someone who admits they do not hunt or shoot , can i ask why you are a member of this site, as for millions of unwanted dead birds where do derive your figures from what source. The BBC is strictly controlled and very biased in its opinion to field sports, i have first hand knowledge of this when i was pre interviewed on a so called live radio show and refused permission to speak because my views were considered too radical, do not speak to me about freedom of speech in this country, censorship is at its peak with the british media.
I have no idea of the numbers. Presumably they're enough to warrant setting up a charity to process them into food for the poor, which is what Botham was promoting in the interview.

Why do I look on here? Because it's interesting and addictive.

Why am I a member? Because you have to be one to use 'search' and to see the pictures in the wildlife photography section.

I have no idea of the numbers. Presumably they're enough to warrant setting up a charity to process them into food for the poor, which is what Botham was promoting in the interview.

Why am I a member? Because you have to be one to use 'search' and to see the pictures in the wildlife photography section.

I doubt they're 'waste' birds. More likely that the shoot decided it would be a decent act, and would promote shooting in a positive light.

On my shoot, there is no waste ! Guns have first pick (well, they did shoot the birds !), then what's left is divvied up to the beaters. Everyone is told not to take meat that won't be eaten. I've even plucked and gutted birds for new beaters, so they will eat the birds and not be put off by the processing.

Any birds that are badly shot up are taken for dogs or ferrets.....in short, there's no such thing as a waste bird. Each and every one has a large investment of time, effort and money put into it !

I wouldn't like to say there has never been and never is waste in the game shooting industry, however to say the birds that Botham is saying he will use for free meals are wasted is bullshit. They're not waste, but they do have a low market value, which makes using them for charity very cost effective in addition to healthy and nutritional.

The game shooting industry produces thousands of head of pheasant, partridge and mallard every year, of which a percentage is taken by those directly involved with the day and the rest sold at generally a low price to game dealers. To say there is never waste would be wrong but it's not exactly standard practice to just kill them and bin them.

I'm not surprised Botham allegedly got pissy when people try to suggest otherwise.

I wouldn't like to say there has never been and never is waste in the game shooting industry, however to say the birds that Botham is saying he will use for free meals are wasted is bullshit. They're not waste, but they do have a low market value, which makes using them for charity very cost effective in addition to healthy and nutritional.

The game shooting industry produces thousands of head of pheasant, partridge and mallard every year, of which a percentage is taken by those directly involved with the day and the rest sold at generally a low price to game dealers. To say there is never waste would be wrong but it's not exactly standard practice to just kill them and bin them.

I'm not surprised Botham allegedly got pissy when people try to suggest otherwise.

they do have a low market value your correct ,untill you go to a posh resturant and pay 50 quid for half a breast of pheasant :laugh:

• Like 2

Out of all the wildlife sites on the internet you come on a hunting site to look at wildlife pics...aye bollocks

We probably come a poor second to "ahh fluffybunnies.com" !!

I actually wasted part of my day today looking for and reading through an in depth waste food survey referrenced in a Telegraph cooking article. (I def do NOT read the telegraph, although I do like their crossword and gardening pages). Article said that 10,000 tons of pheasant are thrown away every year, and we should cook more pheasant. (Had a couple of really good recipes). Couldn't find that statistic anywhere in the survey.

Whatever. I shall carry on eating game and not hunting or shooting.

Rather regret postsng comment now. (Still think Botham came across as belligerent, woefully unprepared, and a bit of a cock.)

While I fully agree with you, you do highlight the PR problem that field sports continue to have. Squeamish5 comments 'huge waste exists because some people like shooting birds for sport.'

If that's how the layperson views shooting then we truly have a mountain to climb. It's not difficult to turn public opinion against us with a few poorly researched, and selectively edited, YouTube videos.

• Like 2

10,000 tonnes !!!! If a dressed pheasant weighs 1kg then that's 10 million birds. Figures sound exaggerated. Then again your fingers would be sore after plucking that lot at the homeless shelter.?

• Like 1

Botham is a cock an folk only defending him cos he was an english cricketer...

Defending him because he's an English cricketer ? Never heard such nonsense......

... he's THE English cricketer !

He was ambushed, the interview should have been about the food charity not about shooting.

He wasnt briefed that he would get put on the spot.

Can anyone put the CA newsletter link up please?

Cheers, D.

Botham is a cock an folk only defending him cos he was an english cricketer...

Defending him because he's an English cricketer ? Never heard such nonsense......

... he's THE English cricketer !

He was ambushed, the interview should have been about the food charity not about shooting.

He wasnt briefed that he would get put on the spot.

Can anyone put the CA newsletter link up please?

Cheers, D.

If he takes an interview about shot game, and doesn't expect to be questioned about shooting, he's definitely guilty of being naive !!

• Like 1

If he takes an interview about shot game, and doesn't expect to be questioned about shooting, he's definitely guilty of being naive !!

Agreed but my follow up question will be why didn't he contact anyone to help him prep for the interview? :hmm:

Naivety aside, we can't afford to rely on pure arrogance when it comes to arguing field sports. The marches, the money raised and donated... We're stagnating for ideas and with the hundreds and thousands of £'s these people have access to why can't we come up with decent, well edited, YouTube videos?! :laugh:

• Like 1