Used to keep and breed all sorts had quite a big collection of snakes and a couple of monitor lizards at one point, haven't got the time for them anymore sadly.

Never really got that into the exotic mammals but I had a pal who kept loads, his coati and raccoon dogs were my favourites proper little characters.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He was caught in a trap.

Had a couple of malaysian beaver.

I've got a pet Manatee/Sea Cow. Sorry my mistake, just put my glasses on and it's actually the wife, thought it was rather clever to be doing hoovering and washing up..

Posted Images

I know a lady that, among many exotics, has a skunk. It's a really sweet thing, very cuddly, very friendly...like a very big ferret (obviously !)

That's one exotic mammal I'd actually be tempted to own, as you say like big cuddly ferrets. Some of the different colours they breed now look really smart too.

I was thinking of gettingba tortoise just for to keep younin the garden. When i was a kid i had one. In winter kept it in a box in garage while it hibernated. Now i don't understand all this pish about vivarium and heat lamps.

Wish i remember the type it was i had as a kid. No special lamps or fancy housing.

Fairly certain it would have been a Hermans or a Horsefield,if you buy a hermans now it has to have papers with it ,to prove it was captive bred.I think you would struggle to get one to hibernate through the winter now due to the mild temperatures,hence the vivs which create a constant climate,preventing them hibernating(A lot never made it through the winter) I kept both species uptil about 10 yrs ago,and also some Leopard tortoises which get really tame but grow very large,very quickly lol .The biggest problem was keeping them clean,the leopards must have pissed a pint each time and with the heat of the viv it soon smells if not constantly cleaned.I think the last Hermans hatchling I bought was about £160,right little character ,spent all day humping anything it could find lol

• Like 1

I know a lady that, among many exotics, has a skunk. It's a really sweet thing, very cuddly, very friendly...like a very big ferret (obviously !)

Some years back I was shown a couple of Skunk kits (if that's the right term?) on their way to get de-scented & I must confess I had one of those girly soft arse "Aaaawwww......" moments.....

I mean, look at their little faces....haha

post-89484-0-91806200-1501479382.jpg

Edited by Accip74
  • Like 1

Used to keep and breed all sorts had quite a big collection of snakes and a couple of monitor lizards at one point, haven't got the time for them anymore sadly.

Never really got that into the exotic mammals but I had a pal who kept loads, his coati and raccoon dogs were my favourites proper little characters.

I like those coati's ;-)

A lad I know has a couple of Meerkats, I've not seen them in the flesh but seen videos of them running around his front room, they're fairly tame and handlable according to him... look proper little characters

• Like 1

I was thinking of gettingba tortoise just for to keep younin the garden. When i was a kid i had one. In winter kept it in a box in garage while it hibernated. Now i don't understand all this pish about vivarium and heat lamps.

Wish i remember the type it was i had as a kid. No special lamps or fancy housing.

Fairly certain it would have been a Hermans or a Horsefield,if you buy a hermans now it has to have papers with it ,to prove it was captive bred.I think you would struggle to get one to hibernate through the winter now due to the mild temperatures,hence the vivs which create a constant climate,preventing them hibernating(A lot never made it through the winter) I kept both species uptil about 10 yrs ago,and also some Leopard tortoises which get really tame but grow very large,very quickly lol .The biggest problem was keeping them clean,the leopards must have pissed a pint each time and with the heat of the viv it soon smells if not constantly cleaned.I think the last Hermans hatchling I bought was about £160,right little character ,spent all day humping anything it could find lol

You can pick up tortoise hatchlings little as £50 now ,kept ours in one of those indoor guinea pig cages with heat lamp above.only just put them in A 4 ft viv couple months ago as toddler kept poking stuff through the bars.