• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I will donate this camera to your cat hunting if you would like it  lumix fz72 60x zoom 

Was out for a walk with the dogs this morning, bumped into a fellow I sort of know through a lot of common interests we often stop for a chat,he hunts a bit and likes his old cars I have something for

Just re reading the whole thread and you’ve come under some real stick mate .Apologies for my part .Doesn’t mean I’m a believer just embarrassing some of the comments 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, EDDIE B said:

The cage trap method failed though, didnt it grayman?

The Lynx went in the trap, but when the invisible to animals camera triggered it backed out, so in this instance yes but if it never had a camera it would have hit the trigger plate, I,m not arguing if it worked or not just showing it as an example of how they capture escapees, which are very rare, the clouded leopards that escaped last year in Devon never really escaped as they were still contained in the outer fence which all dangerous animals have to be housed behind even in your garden, I personally have,nt got a clue why the government need a law to use a trap normally used for catching problem bears with the reasons for use being to capture non indeginous mammalian carnivores, in the uk as most of you have pointed out they don't excist so why make a law to cover there capture ???

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Greyman said:

The Lynx went in the trap, but when the invisible to animals camera triggered it backed out, so in this instance yes but if it never had a camera it would have hit the trigger plate, I,m not arguing if it worked or not just showing it as an example of how they capture escapees, which are very rare, the clouded leopards that escaped last year in Devon never really escaped as they were still contained in the outer fence which all dangerous animals have to be housed behind even in your garden, I personally have,nt got a clue why the government need a law to use a trap normally used for catching problem bears with the reasons for use being to capture non indeginous mammalian carnivores, in the uk as most of you have pointed out they don't excist so why make a law to cover there capture ???

Im no cat expert, but i do know a little about traps and trapping. Ask a trapper what traps are more proficient, cage traps, or foot hold traps, and he will say foothold every time. Yes cage traps are used in parts of the US, but thats in states that don't allow foot holds. You say they use cages because escapees are used to the mesh. I'd sat less cautious maybe, but still cautious. I dont think hunger is a major issue. Drop a pet moggie into the sticks, and he wont starve.

My pal knows the story behind the Aldrich. How it got on the STAO. Who used it, and what he captured.

16 minutes ago, EDDIE B said:

Im no cat expert, but i do know a little about traps and trapping. Ask a trapper what traps are more proficient, cage traps, or foot hold traps, and he will say foothold every time. Yes cage traps are used in parts of the US, but thats in states that don't allow foot holds. You say they use cages because escapees are used to the mesh. I'd sat less cautious maybe, but still cautious. I dont think hunger is a major issue. Drop a pet moggie into the sticks, and he wont starve.

My pal knows the story behind the Aldrich. How it got on the STAO. Who used it, and what he captured.

If you would rather not speak on open forum pm me as I,m really curious, I do understand about traps and snares as I was alive during the fur trade in the uk and made a lot of money snaring fox,s for pelts so I also know how indiscriminate they are have also cage trapped quite a few as well, but the wording on the amandment states it can only be used for non indigenous mammalian carnivores, or in layman's terms large foreign preditors, and as said before why do you need a law for something that does,nt excist ?? I am also aware of someone that claims to have used them when working for defra but I won't meet him for around 6 months to ask about it

1 minute ago, Greyman said:

If you would rather not speak on open forum pm me as I,m really curious, I do understand about traps and snares as I was alive during the fur trade in the uk and made a lot of money snaring fox,s for pelts so I also know how indiscriminate they are have also cage trapped quite a few as well, but the wording on the amandment states it can only be used for non indigenous mammalian carnivores, or in layman's terms large foreign preditors, and as said before why do you need a law for something that does,nt excist ?? I am also aware of someone that claims to have used them when working for defra but I won't meet him for around 6 months to ask about it

I will put up a post in a while My mate relayed the details to me a couple of years ago, and i just want to confirm a few things with him to stay true to the truth. 

Greyman, i don't think this is something that will help you in your quest, but maybe it will show that things have and do get covered up by the powers that be. As far as I'm concerned, it would be foolish to believe that they wouldn't cover shit up. What ya dont know, wont hurt.

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, EDDIE B said:

I will put up a post in a while My mate relayed the details to me a couple of years ago, and i just want to confirm a few things with him to stay true to the truth. 

Greyman, i don't think this is something that will help you in your quest, but maybe it will show that things have and do get covered up by the powers that be. As far as I'm concerned, it would be foolish to believe that they wouldn't cover shit up. What ya dont know, wont hurt.

Thanks mate I,m really curious, more than looking for proof just to know what was or is lurking here among the other displaced animals, ?

Would urine from a Zoo cat in heat attract them to a cage or camera?rather than bait. Whenever I've a bitch in season every dog in a 50 mile radius comes around. I've worn out 10 yard brushes off their backs. ??????

• Haha 2
53 minutes ago, Welsh_red said:

Double parking on the drinks . That's a hanging offence round here 

Whoa there, i was only intending on having the one point with my tea. That was a surprise pint, 7 pints later that's me done got work in the morning. ?

Here is an email i got from my mate today regarding the story behind the Aldrich trap, and how it got on the STAO.

He gave me permission to share it on here, and so here you go

His name was Quentin Rose. He was a friend of mine. Became so after I read an article by / about him in The Field magazine. Obviously, it had a Black Panther on the cover. I had a massive train journey ahead of me ...

This was pushing fifteen years ago. I'm sure a quick call the the Librarian of The Field could pin the date of issue and probably even procure a copy of the article. Grayman would love it.

Well, it gave this mans phone number. And, in a fit of extraordinarily out of character forthrightness, I actually just looked at my brand new mobile phone. Looked at my wife. She nodded. I called that number. Right there on a train to Norfolk. (19/2/2000. Just checked my records!)

The bloke who answered had the absolute air of a Tibetan Monk! His voice was so incredibly soft and it carried the sense that he wasn't completely on this earthly plane. Very strange introduction.

And, that's how I simply came to know Quentin. We hit it off and exchanged notes about 'ABC's', or what ever we were then calling them. Discussed traps. I enthused and expleted, as he serenely whispered. And we got on like a house on fire.

Quentin died, of a medical complication, about fifteen years ago. So, I'm going on memories from back then. Forgive me if I can't just Google my memories, to check their pin point accuracy.

Quentin had been  / was an actual, full time, time served Zoo Keeper. I don't know where. I never asked. But, it's well recorded and he dealt with Big Cats. They were his speciallity.

Earlier in his life, he'd got it into his head that he wanted to learn shit. I think, specifically, about how to trap cats. Real ones. Ones that were absolutely out there.

He considered throwing himself before the towering behemoth of all knowledge, which is THL.

But, then, he thought why should he waste his time with a load of over grown school kids who would create double figure threads of complete bollocks, while the 'Mods' examined their own finger nails.

So, he f**ked off to Canada, instead. All on his ownsome, because this quiet soul was actually totally f**king hard core. Forums weren't for him.

And, there he found some indigenous tribe, whose name I can't now remember. And he threw in his lot with them. Spent a year or three trapesing around in snow shoes. And learning how to regularly and with practiced certainty, trap real, live Canadian Lynx.

That would be where he gained his complete mastery of the Aldrich Foot Snare. What we tend to talk of as the " Aldrich Trap ", simply because it's less of a mouthful.

For those without a clue? It's basically a spring arm which, when fired, whips back a snare which grabs the cat (bear, what ever) by the foot.

Q, however, recognised a couple of inherent design flaws in the patented version. So, once back home, he used his kitchen oven as a forge and set to work. Sort of bloke he was.

And, it was he who approached ~ what I Think was then still the MAFF? And suggested he had the Real skills to sort out anything nasty, big and teethy.

By way of proof of his credentials, he defied them to find a single post, by him, on THL. They had his computer forensically examined and found he'd never set foot in the place. Clearly then; This boy was no bullshitter!

He produced a full sized (There are actually a few sizes, for different targets) Aldrich, fitted with a 'snare' of his own design and manufacture.

This, he said, would capture a Large, Non Indigenous Carnivore. And, it'd do so without so much as harming it's furry skin.

Much huffing and puffing and glance exchanging. So, Q rolled his sleeve up. Gazed squarely into the assembled boffins eyes. And calmly thrust his hand against the plate.

He got the job. Who they gonna call?! My Quentin!!! And, that's why they authorised the use of the Aldrich trap. So that He could slip into the woods, well beyond the glare of the media circus, and quietly take care of shit. Because  he was a time served Expert at it.

Now, here's a thing that bugs me. Q was called out, to capture an escaped lynx.

I can't remember exactly when. Or where. But, I seem to think it was in some leafy suburb. Maybe around London and possibly starting with an H? Dunno.

Obviously, this was like falling out of bed, for Q. He turned up. Set his trap. Caught the lynx and slipped away for tea.

And yet, when ever I've tried to find record of that incident? All I ever come up with is a lynx that " A vet shot with a tranquiliser dart. "

I wonder if they've just D Noticed the small point that it was held  by its foot in a modified Aldrich, at the time?

Regards the fact that DEFRA have since reworded the reason for use of the Aldrich? It used to say for " Large, Non Indigenous Mammalian Carnivores ". Then, they changed it to " Escaped Circus Animals ", or some such.

That was me. I have a wicked sense of humour. I get ideas and act on them. So, one day, grinning and giggling quietly, I rang DEFRA.

I got through to a very nice lady who I asked, with a subtle hint of gentle concern in my voice, if there Were 'Big Cats' roaming the english countryside.

She smiling assured  me that, " No, sir. There are No 'Big Cats' out there *Smile* ". I was nervously happier to hear this. But, was she sure?

And so it went on. Her soothing my furrowed little brow. Gently assuaging my misplaced fears, like a mother. Straight from The Government themselves. Official. The last word: 'There are, never have been, likely never will be Any 'Big Scary Cats' out there.'

Then, I used my normal voice and simply said, point blank: " Then Whyhave ye  approved the Aldrich trap, to be used against " Large, Non Indigenous Mammalian Carnivores?! "

I sat and relished that long, fish out of water silence for quite a long moment. Reveling in the awkwardness, tangible down the line! Busted! I'd Busted F**king DEFRA!!! Gently hung up and Laughed My F**king Arse Off!

And, That's when they had a brain storming session and came up with this Nellie The Elephant bullshit.

One other thing; I called DEFRA another time. Probably before that last call. Can't remember what I said I was ringing about. God knows. But, I got their front desk. Grayman will Like this one!

Got some white shirted, clean and respectable young man. Probably about nineteen, early twenties. Asked him about some bloody thing, or other. Nothing too serious.

Kept it nice and light. Came across as a nice, friendly customer. Let him relax in my company. Guys.

Passingly mentioned a couple of snippets that All guys would agree about. Could Feel him stretching his legs out beneath his desk. Reeling him in! LOL!

I probably dropped a " bloody " into the conversation, just to put it to his subconscious that we were just a couple of mates, having a good ol' chat.

Then, I, just in passing. Out of the mildest momentary curiosity, asked something about, " These 'Big Cats' they reckon are getting sighted. I've heard some stuff about your boys come out and make any bodies vanish?! Surely that's bull?! Heh, heh! "

And, with that, he leans forward. Cups his hand around the receiver and darts a glance across the office as he half whispers:

" Oh, That, sir?! No. Anything comes in about That stuff? It goes Straight'Upstairs'! "

And I'm like, " Oh? Really ... " And, in my head, I'm Screaming; " You F**king Beauty!!!!! THANKYOU!!! 
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Thank you for that mate, I think some of the older longer serving members of our group have mentioned Quentin rose maybe even new him, that's quite a story thank,s again for taking the time and sharing it ???

• paulus locked this topic
  • paulus unlocked this topic