Brother/sister Cross- Your Thoughts!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I used to study Pit Bull pedigrees 'till I'd be bleary eyed. Pit Bull fanciers in a way breed for what a lot of us in terriers should be breeding for, gameness. In terriers if you breed for gameness

every litter is a risk /chance, if you can afford the risk i'd breed them, if you do keep us posted , i'd like to know how they come out , its the only inbreeding i've never tried, had good results fr

Pluckys dogs are on the dole cause they don't work . There's six wankers on THL and he's five of them

Posted Images

Didn't they used to say you can do father to daughter but not mother to son??

Why not mother to son.

Seemed more defects or culls would happen this way round.
Is there any evidence to back this theory up or is it just hearsay
As it was a saying probably hearsay or I read it somewhere who knows,that's why I put question mark at the end.
  • Like 1

Why not mother to son.
ive seen mother son mating been done first mating all pups were perfect repeat mating two pups came undershot
  • Like 1

Why not mother to son.
ive seen mother son mating been done first mating all pups were perfect repeat mating two pups came undershot
Plenty dogs are undershot from unrelated matings ,including my Labradoodle,so whilst its not good for a terrier ,its not that bad from a inbred mating is it.
  • Like 1

I used to ferret with an old boy who kept a line of ferrets like some keep a line of terriers he used the father daughter but never mother to son saying . When I asked him why he side the kits tend to come small on mother to son and be sickly . I don't know how true it is but he stuck by his methods and had great ferrets my he rest in peace

Why not mother to son.
Plenty dogs are undershot from unrelated matings ,including my Labradoodle,so whilst its not good for a terrier ,its not that bad from a inbred mating is it.
?......and the reason why there is so many undershot dogs about ,exceptance .
  • Like 3

Life's to short try it see how they work out, I got talked out of doing father daughter mating so I used another dog only a few of pups worked to a good standard so I thought I do the father daughter mating but lost the bitch before I got a chance!

If there culls at least you can say you have tried

Agreed mate. Edited by Rabbit Hunter

I believe that if you do a breeding of father daughter you do it for breeding purposes to tighten up your line and nothing more. And you need to cull hard. Before i would do that i would do half brother to a half sister breeding and start breeding off of that.

• Like 3

With a good knowledge of previous breeding ie,parents grandparents and how close they are already bred ect ect .Have any previously bred dogs had any defects that could be exagerated by the close in breeding .

If your happy with your knowledge and what each parent is bringing to the table i would give it a go, if it goes wrong at least you will know,,,to me its better a regret than not knowing.

pictures are of brother to sister breeding , no faults what so ever , pups turned out mirror image of parents in looks and working ability.

post-15985-0-69277800-1483642678.jpg

post-15985-0-75511500-1483642696.jpg

post-15985-0-46084700-1483642727.jpg

post-15985-0-14426100-1483642745.jpg

post-15985-0-30079700-1483642780_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

This is a good place to look at the results of different close breedings

http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/modules.php?name=Public&file=printPedigree&dog_id=4453

son of (father x daughter) back to his mother (his 1/2 sister)

Bound to find some brother sister crosses if it produced winners or stock worth breeding

In fact, it was her son that has one of the best Redboy litters ever when bred to assassinator

• Like 1

If the dog is to be the main dog used in your program, what is the next step if you wanted to breed from a good bitch in that litter.

We're nowhere near being snookered & have several good options, this being 1 of them. With regards to breeding off that litter again no major issue there either..