A Razors Edge

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stop end. You are more than welcome to any pup or breeding that I have access too now and in the future! Should you want it.   All that we ask down this way is to rear them right, work them right an

This thread is testament to why more and more lads are going it alone and working away under the radar minding there own business. It has shown that you may not know each personally but seem to know a

ro284, The Cork white line is a strain of Working Russell, hard to describe the type. Everything from strong Bull/russell smooths to Small wire haired terriers. Not a breed more a strain of workers.

Posted Images

Haha sounds like an old saying what a lad usta say up this way... Gotta youse more than one dog in these rock piles as their to big for one on its own....i never struggled thou when I worked them...an yes I worked the single handed..

• Like 1

I'd say there would be a lot of good men turning in there graves if we turned our arse to it in the morning. There just is so much love for what we do and our buddy's waiting in there runs on a Saturday morning waiting for that backdoor to open see the life come into them they know what's coming. But I can say one thing it will dye out because there is not to many young lads interested in it times are changing even hunting with hounds same few lads no young lads to much hard work for them . It's a fact lads hunting will dye out . That's what I think but it might be different in other places .

Its honesty thats on the decline and the standards that were once accepted as the norm.

I'd say there would be a lot of good men turning in there graves if we turned our arse to it in the morning. There just is so much love for what we do and our buddy's waiting in there runs on a Saturday morning waiting for that backdoor to open see the life come into them they know what's coming. But I can say one thing it will dye out because there is not to many young lads interested in it times are changing even hunting with hounds same few lads no young lads to much hard work for them . It's a fact lads hunting will dye out . That's what I think but it might be different in other places .

Its honesty thats on the decline and the standards that were once accepted as the norm.[/quote)

Your values mate ,not ours .You openly admit to doubling .

• Like 3

Neil, having had a quick look back on the thread I maybe wrong but do you class fell types and patterdales as the same??

Depends on what mood I'm in ,LOL.

I do think that the Black Fell and the Patterdale are one and the same. To me the Fell label covers blacks, reds and black and tans.

Up 'till around 10 or so years ago I used to see authors and adds for pups where those who wanted to make it clear that their terriers were workers would call them Fells rather than Lakelands, but, nowadays where there's very few workers of black and tans that colour is nearly always called a Lakeland, sadly because it's very much become a show type.

SO, I'll probably mostly call my prefered type Black Fells because as they get nearer and nearer to K.C. recognition as Patterdales I'll try and distance mine from them.

f**k me it's got so confusing. Why can't we go back to calling them coloured terriers and white terriers, LOL ?

• Like 1

I hope so Foxdropper, that's when Neil "The Patterdale" Cooney will maybe part with some of his Patterdales (378 years of line breeding) that are Patterdales out of Patterdales which are true Patterdales.

I've always wanted one of those Range Rovers with the televisions in the back of the head rests.

Seriously though. They're on the pet market now for big money. The Yanks have K.C.ed recognised them this few year so IMO it's inevitable and then the wheat really will be separated from the chaff, both terriers and breeders / owners.

40 years ago everyone was using Russell's and lakeys 20 year ago there was a select few using them properly 10 years ago they were getting scarce and the old boys that had them were gradually dying off or retiring with those lines dying with them or worse been passed on to the wannabes that didn't know how to work or breed them. Patterdales are going the same way apart from a few good men still working or breeding them properly 2 human generations from now they could be gone the same away looking at the amount of sh1t that's out there to buy for young lads starting out apart from the few good yards left. The young lads that are starting out that have no access to good dogs or yards are buying and breeding off the nearest they can get and the patterdale will eventually go the same way as Irish terriers, glen of imaals, lakeys and Russell's until somebody starts thinking outside the box and breeds them for work and nothing else and if they have too create a new breed in the process to get what they want. It's happened before and will happen again but hopefully not in our time.

• Like 4

A lot of talk disagreement about game,hard or baying terriers which is only normal.But what about origin keeping faith with the style a lot of lines strains or even breeds were bred to work in,magority of lads would expect a Russel to be a Bayer some pushier than others but is an out and out baying patterdale,lakeland or even border terrier a good example of its breed? .The law has changed life in general is very different but do we lay down hundreds of years of tradition to please the law ?.Do we reject the men that put so much time and effort into producing those breeds of game hard terriers .

I don't think that anyone has mentioned it on this thread but the quarry has changed. At least when it comes to the white/Russell dogs. They were bred to dig badger not fox. Hence the baying part. Lots of men gave up when it became impossible to test a baying dog. Does it bay because it is a coward or because it has brains ? Can it hold it's ground ? Lakeland types were always fox dogs.

• Like 4

When I started off, 40 years back lol there were lakeys mostly b and t but also red and grizzle, russells, borders and crossbreds. These were often very much like todays Patterdales, including chocolates :D Fells was a name brought in for Lakeys to include those that werent b and t. What people nowadays term Patterdales are what has evolved from these crossbred dogs over the last few decades imo.

Cheers, D.

• Like 2