Anyone In The U.s Using Terriers

Foxdropper, since you seem to be the authority on American Coons would you also please answer my simple question of the average weight of terrier used in earth work in the UK

You cant really answer that one bud there is too many variables even tho the UK is only small the hunting ground can change so much in only a few miles So different parts of the UK need different stamps of terrier.

• Like 2

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would have thought by now at least 1 of the 4 serious terriermen from the USA , who posted on this thread would have called me by now!!!!!!!, offer still stands!!!!!!,I let my dogs to the talking !!

I've had the pleasure of a good few weeks out there hunting coon in barns and stick piles. I'm not getting involved in the pissing competition about terriers, the only thing I will say is there is no

Starts January 1st ends December 31st

Posted Images

So foxdropper you are telling me you personally worked coon with your dogs? To say a coon is no better than a feral cat is way off base. So you say you're opinion is based off fact is what you are saying? Well go on and educate me , I'd love to hear your experience with coons and your dogs.

I've laid it out in a pm mate but would like to add you are more than welcome to visit here to see terrier work how its been done for decades. Invite me to you also ,you may be surprised .

• Like 1

I don't think anyone said we have better terriers than what you guys have there. That would be a foolish statement as all our terriers came from over there, and some good blood has made its way over here as well. I'm not one to talk or assume things I've never done nor seen, I base mine on facts and the fact is if you guys think coon are junk for your black dogs you are talking about things you obviously don't know about. A coon is a good animal every bit as good as our fox and better imo. I said our fox as I'm not going to say about yours as I've never been there to hunt.

Why shouldn't you's have better terriers than what's in Britain ?

I'm not saying you's do but why shouldn't you's strive to improve the strains ?

We here in Ireland made them better and we started to get the black families of terriers about the same time you Americans did.

IMO it's not about the blood yous have or the quarry nor is it it about the freedom you's have to hunt (but in reality you don't have the freedom ye'd have us believe.) but it's the fact ye haven't got a terrier tradition going back generations. You's do tend to have that opinion that terrierwork is a fighting sport (just look back through this thread with all the cock measuring and photos) but it's a type of hunting or vermin control in reality.

I'm 16 or 17 years on line and made many American friends on line and IMO those who had the right attitude were those who listened and learned about terrierwork from this side of the world and some of them over the years came over and seen with their own eyes what they intended to bring back with them.

Tim Jent, Henry Johnson Jnr and Greg O Donnell all wrote for Earth Dog / Running Dog over the years and their articles were all about digging to their dogs. Mind you, Henry used to write about his Bear hunts using his Airedale terriers which were good. Henry got terriers from Ireland to dig to.

Unfortunately, you's seem to believe the bullshitters from over this side so you's need to do more home work and sort out the curs from the good ones and this can only be done by learning what the true working terriers is really all about, and that's not a fighting dog.

By the way, LOL, is TTI terriers (Tough Terriers International) ran by Tony Riviotta still in business ?

You only had to look at him to symbolize ALL that was wrong in the American terrier game.

neil good post it is about bettering the breed there are good dogs and junk on both sides and everyone thinks the hunt the boogie man on under ground lions and everyone else hunts butterflies i have hunted with tim and tony quite a bit tim dont keep any dogs anymore and tony is down to a couple as far as hunting freadom it is night and day compared to wha you guys have to deal with but or us buy a permit and and you can hunt whats in season or for pest control on private land year round

its a bit daft arguing about which terriers are better i've spoken to terriermen form across the pond and for those talking work they are no different than lads over here, they live and breath working dogs they would love to dig our quarry as much as i would like to try theirs, variety the spice of life they say, I've known good earth dogs that get well lost in the 3d world of a rock pile with scent coming at them from all angles, although given time they will work it out but if one of the new breed gossips and smart ass is out that day your terrier will all be shit and some other gossip knows hundred of miles away before you get home and clean the dog up now the same crosses oceans , i've spent hours baiting some of the Yankee bullshiter the bobby bullshit fans the naive who brought terriers with dodgy breeding and sometimes no doubt with out the rightful owner knowing they had been sold to the US of A ,Europe's turn now the new market for the stolen terrier

i was lucky to spend time with two of the gentlemen mentioned and all they wanted to talk was work and working bloodlines this internet has made it a world of the working terrier, and as such i liked to hear about how others do things without some one always piping up thats not real work , half the time this bitchyness come from people that wont be in the game 2 years down the line so try and remember some of there terriers may be to small in some places here but with out the freedom we'll never know in the UK , i do know that some blood(nuttall) as been imported to the US breed and worked there for 30 years them imported back to mainland Europe and work to fox badger, raccoon , raccoon dog and them big rat thing can't remember the name, and work them all well so some of these people have kept them right so a few hunting story's would be nice without someone shouting its just a big f***ing hamster ....its all pretty simple dog hole quarry dig ....rant over back to the rest of a boring night at work

Edited by Glyn.....
  • Like 5

Well put glyn, the only thing that matters are the terriers are getting work. When I got into terriers I looked all over to find people really working with them and you hear all the names to go to and I shortly stumbled across a guy in my own back yard that hunts terriers that nobody has ever even heard of, very good terrier man with excellent dogs. I guess the point is there are some good people at this that aren't in the spot light of things. I've done some talking with tj here from the states , he's a very nice guy and was all about the work of the dogs. I remember him telling me the same thing you posted glyn he was looking for a terrier small enough to fit and big enough to stay.

• Like 5

I've had the pleasure of a good few weeks out there hunting coon in barns and stick piles.

I'm not getting involved in the pissing competition about terriers, the only thing I will say is there is no "there's and ours", the Americans get there terriers from over here or at least they did do. If they bought badly then more fool them and shame on the b*****ds that took their money.post-55605-0-59790600-1481618908_thumb.jpg

As you can see, they certainly aren't short on game or the freedom to use their terriers

• Like 9

I've hunted with terriers in the States on Ground Hog, Skunks, Nutria, Possum, Fox and Coon. Legally and relaxed.

Best dig was in a Beaver den, half a dozen entrances with tunnels as wide as your own chest, took a fair bit of time to get 5 coons backed up into a pocket through tight roots, the pocket was filled almost to the brim with ice cold water and 3 coons bolted out underwater into the pond.

I don't know what's tougher a monkey with a stick or a bulldog or a coon or badger.

But I know I've enjoyed every trip out there with terriers.

• Like 6