What about Dark Matter, makes up 27% of the known universe yet is unidentified....

Could it be our souls when we die?????

Does it? Show me some! LOL

Dark matter is the answer to an experimental anomaly that is as yet unresolved. It's got a lot of support because it's very plausible and nothing has really challenged it. But there ain't a great deal that supports it either! Personally I can't help but feel there's a strong possibility it's a result of an incomplete understanding of gravity being applied on a fairly unfamiliar scale (galactic!) and as a result we have got a false conclusion.

This is the difference between solid strongly supported scientific theory that for all intents and purposes is fact and very speculative research that is not at all strongly enough supported by evidence to be talked about as though it is factual. I really have to make a point of this because many folks will talk about such things in the wrong manner and as such cause others that only really have a basic grasp of it all to become disillusioned and distrusting of science.

Am I right in thinking the only thing it interacts with is gravity itself? Edited by DogFox123

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not for me mate,,just a story to keep folk in line by rulers in older days...   My old gran who was a church goer,,,,,she would say the bible got it wrong,,,and God and the devil were just spelling

I've never believed in a God . My parents didn't either . I think that present day science rtf can prove that most of the bible didn't happen or would have been impossible. Moses parting the sea etc

Cain married his sister and thus God created......Norfolk !

Posted Images

Kanny or Mushroom at the risk of sounding like a 5 year old.....what do you think to the idea about life on other planets......surely the tiny size of earth within this whole " space " must make it a billion to one that we ( earth ) are the only gaff that can kick up living things ?

Logically, if space is "infinite" then not only are there other planets out there similar to ours, there should be planets identical, with countries called the same name, languages the same and exactly the same people having the same discussion about it. And there should be an infinite number of those planets too.

Unless space isn't infinite. And if it isn't infinite, it has to end somewhere. But what is beyond that end? Don't get me started. :D

What about Dark Matter, makes up 27% of the known universe yet is unidentified....

Could it be our souls when we die?????

Does it? Show me some! LOL

Dark matter is the answer to an experimental anomaly that is as yet unresolved. It's got a lot of support because it's very plausible and nothing has really challenged it. But there ain't a great deal that supports it either! Personally I can't help but feel there's a strong possibility it's a result of an incomplete understanding of gravity being applied on a fairly unfamiliar scale (galactic!) and as a result we have got a false conclusion.

This is the difference between solid strongly supported scientific theory that for all intents and purposes is fact and very speculative research that is not at all strongly enough supported by evidence to be talked about as though it is factual. I really have to make a point of this because many folks will talk about such things in the wrong manner and as such cause others that only really have a basic grasp of it all to become disillusioned and distrusting of science.

Am I right in thinking the only thing it interacts with is gravity itself?

Most of the observable evidence is based on gravitation effects yes. Basically shit like galaxies not behaving the way they should based on our knowledge of gravity and what matter is actually detectable through electromagnetic means. There's more than that but that's the bottom line.

Kanny or Mushroom at the risk of sounding like a 5 year old.....what do you think to the idea about life on other planets......surely the tiny size of earth within this whole " space " must make it a billion to one that we ( earth ) are the only gaff that can kick up living things ?

Logically, if space is "infinite" then not only are there other planets out there similar to ours, there should be planets identical, with countries called the same name, languages the same and exactly the same people having the same discussion about it. And there should be an infinite number of those planets too.

Unless space isn't infinite. And if it isn't infinite, it has to end somewhere. But what is beyond that end? Don't get me started. :D

I'm very firmly skeptical when any physicist starts talking about physical infinite's! They belong to the world of mathematicians not physics.

In the two dimensional space of the surface of a sphere, where is the end? :thumbs:

Not all finite dimensions have an end.....

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 1

I whole heartedly believe there is life in other planets ;)

I'm very firmly skeptical when any physicist starts talking about physical infinite's! They belong to the world of mathematicians not physics.

In the two dimensional space of the surface of a sphere, where is the end? :thumbs:

But the universe isn't 2-dimensional, so the sphere you refer to has stuff inside it and outside it.

I get what you mean about maths not physics though.

I do like physics. If stuff you see doesn't obey the laws of physics, just change the laws.

If the Big Bang theory is true then it's likely intelligent life isn't as advanced as many would imagine IMO.

I don't think we are at risk of being wiped out by aliens anytime soon....

• Like 1

If the Big Bang theory is true then it's likely intelligent life isn't as advanced as many would imagine IMO.

I don't think we are at risk of being wiped out by aliens anytime soon....

read up on the annunaki

Infinity.... the biggest pain in the arse for physics.. loved in maths (My favourite subject ?)

Born question do you think the third law goes against freeze theory?

Edited by mushroom

But the universe isn't 2-dimensional, so the sphere you refer to has stuff inside it and outside it.

I do like physics. If stuff you see doesn't obey the laws of physics, just change the laws.

You're thinking in a very logical way, it's difficult to re calibrate your mind for this but I'll try to explain over here. Be easier with a white board and a tweed jacket! LOL

No the universe is not 2-D. So forget that for a moment. Imagine if the universe was 1-D, so your only freedoms of movement were backwards and forwards like along a piece of string. Now that piece of string has two ends right? Those represent the end of the universe in your current minds model of it, right? That's how you think of a finite universe...... but what if that piece of string was a loop with no ends? It's still finite but no matter how far you travel in that 1-D universe you'll never find the end!

Now increase the dimensions to a 2-D universe and one option is a sphere. Inside the sphere doesn't exist, outside the sphere doesn't exist. You only have 2 dimensions remember so only the surface exists as the 2 dimensions of space in the universe. There are of course other geometry options but I'll keep it as simple as possible.

Now go a third dimension, the same as what we have and experience in reality. You can't conceptualise it in your head because you need to be able to think in four dimensional space but it's very much a possible model of space and if you think of it in terms of 3 individual dimensions it's about the best way to get your head around it.

Back to the 1-D universe. Imagine an elastic band (a loop) is your 1-D universe, finite but with no ends. Cosmic expansion is simply this elastic band stretching into a larger loop. The circumference of the band (the distance of 1-D space) is getting larger with all the points on that band (galaxies and stars etc) getting further apart.

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 1

Infinity.... the biggest pain in the arse for physics.. loved in maths (My favourite subject )

Born question do you think the third law goes against freeze theory?

Tbh I don't really like to speculate too much, I'd rather just say we are right at the limits of knowledge here folks and frankly whatever I tell you is little more than a guess. Cosmological models etc are just far too untrustworthy for me to really comment on. I like thinking about all these possibilities as you do but it's all a bit philosophical for me and not so much science. It's like we are measuring mountains with a micrometer from across the valley and acting like we trust the answer.

In answer, I haven't really looked heavily into it for the reasons above so wouldn't like to comment. :thumbs:

• Like 1

You're thinking in a very logical way, it's difficult to re calibrate your mind for this but I'll try to explain over here. Be easier with a white board and a tweed jacket! LOL

No the universe is not 2-D. So forget that for a moment. Imagine if the universe was 1-D, so your only freedoms of movement were backwards and forwards like along a piece of string. Now that piece of string has two ends right? Those represent the end of the universe in your current minds model of it, right? That's how you think of a finite universe...... but what if that piece of string was a loop with no ends? It's still finite but no matter how far you travel in that 1-D universe you'll never find the end!

Now increase the dimensions to a 2-D universe and one option is a sphere. Inside the sphere doesn't exist, outside the sphere doesn't exist. You only have 2 dimensions remember so only the surface exists as the 2 dimensions of space in the universe. There are of course other geometry options but I'll keep it as simple as possible.

Now go a third dimension, the same as what we have and experience in reality. You can't conceptualise it in your head because you need to be able to think in four dimensional space but it's very much a possible model of space and if you think of it in terms of 3 individual dimensions it's about the best way to get your head around it.

Back to the 1-D universe. Imagine an elastic band (a loop) is your 1-D universe, finite but with no ends. Cosmic expansion is simple this elastic band stretching into a larger elastic band. the circumference of the band (the distance of 1-D space) is getting larger with all the points on that band (galaxies and stars etc) getting further apart.

You'd need more than a tweed jacket to drum that into this noggin. :laugh:

I visualise what you are saying, and I've read the dots on a balloon explanation too. Take the balloon example. The dots do get further apart, but there is still air inside the balloon and air/space/gas/you outside the balloon. It has to expand into something.

Imagine you have the balloon on the table in front of you and you add air to it. Firstly, it is ON the table. Then the dots nearest the table stay the same distance from the table. The dots on top the balloon get further away from the table. The dots the far side of the balloon get further away from you and the dots this side get nearer you.

In my tiny mind, they are doing stuff relative to other objects, not just themselves.

You'd need more than a tweed jacket to drum that into this noggin. :laugh:

I visualise what you are saying, and I've read the dots on a balloon explanation too. Take the balloon example. The dots do get further apart, but there is still air inside the balloon and air/space/gas/you outside the balloon. It has to expand into something.

Imagine you have the balloon on the table in front of you and you add air to it. Firstly, it is ON the table. Then the dots nearest the table stay the same distance from the table. The dots on top the balloon get further away from the table. The dots the far side of the balloon get further away from you and the dots this side get nearer you.

In my tiny mind, they are doing stuff relative to other objects, not just themselves.

But the balloon example is that of a 2-D universe, so the table, the air, you and me don't exist. We are in the third spacial dimension that in the example, a 2-D universe, does not exist, anybody in that universe would have no concept of all of that, they live in only 2 dimensions. The balloon isn't expanding into anything because there is no comprehensible third dimension. Simply the dimensions are stretching.

Thinking in 1-D again, when the loop gets bigger, it expands into a second spacial dimension in the reality of our 3-D universe but in the model we are pretending that it is only 1-D so it's not expanding into anything.

Or perhaps another way to think about it is that a 3-D universe is not expanding into anything that the participants of that 3-D universe can interact with (a fourth dimension?)! Like the participants of the 2-D balloon model universe cannot interact with the third dimension that that balloon expands into. Is that a better way of understanding it?

In all that is an explanation that a finite universe does not need to have an edge/end to those that live in it.

Edited by Born Hunter