Welsh Sheepdog

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To create a first cross hybrid twixt a herder and a running dog,..,..I would always prefer to use the Greyhound or purpose bred type of up and at em,..hare killer as opposed to a pure whippet.... Th

Tegan's sire was a nice type of Welsh collie ......    

You ever thought of you who is the problem with collie xs and not the dogs? I've seen plenty of collie x mutts working to a high standard without being over sensitive and thinking to much.. But they w

Kate Humble was learning the hard way that her collie was more of a natural hunter than she was, herding instinct is hunting instinct no difference, just a different approach, one thing she learned was not to think she was mentally superior to her collie in herding. Collies can try your patience, but can reward you with great success at hunting, i have always said some people should not take on a dog that probably has a higher IQ than its owner, and im pretty sure thats why a lot of guys fail with collie blooded lurchers and dont like them. Must admit the welsh collies style interests me but with such a small gene pool chanches of owning one look pretty remote

• Like 1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McNab_dog

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Time_Farm_Shepherd

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Shepherd_dog

i very much suspect there are a few lines of these types of dogs still in existence; there are some very isolated communities in some parts of the states and it would be fascinating to do a bit of research. i believe they come from the same root stock as modern border collies, kelpies etc but separated many generations ago

Went with my ex to pick her welsh sheepdog bitch up from john davies in aberystwyth, 2005 I think..

He had a cracking litter there, sired by a big, rangy black and tan dog. Superb looking dog.

I don't think the gene pool is small as such, they just aint as common as border collies

Went with my ex to pick her welsh sheepdog bitch up from john davies in aberystwyth, 2005 I think..

He had a cracking litter there, sired by a big, rangy black and tan dog. Superb looking dog.

I don't think the gene pool is small as such, they just aint as common as border collies

There just the same as the fell dogs you get here in the lakes apart from you need to speak welsh to work them lol.

Socks... Nice looking animal mate, but i also watched that programme and couldnt believe

what a variation of size and colours that the "welsh" came in, some actually looked terrier ish in the head

arnt welsh collies + border collies near enough the same type dogs, ok some might go bit bigger (welsh) but you can get big borders as well, seen some 24in , and end of the day there all herding dogs , that are over sensitive that think to much lol, rather have kelpie or acd thats x back to a running dog, think a acd x to whippet or whippet x grey, make great lurcher stronger mentally / physically than any border type collie .. if i ever ever had herding type again in the future it be acd x whippet :yes: