Farmers Shooting Dogs.

Whats the law on farmers shooting dogs and peoples experiance of it? 2 year ago me and the bird was threatened by a farmer saying he was going to shoot my dogs if i was on his land again. This was day time and both dogs were on the lead and he was waving the gun all over the place. Then today i was in my dads boozer and got a message saying id been seen with the lamp and lurcher on myself and if im seen again my dogs getting shot. Fair enough both times i was were i shouldnt be but neither times was i doing something illegal other than been somewhere away from a public footpath. No live stock and dogs always been on the lead. If approached im always polite. Whats the law on them shooting my dog? And could i take whats been said as a threat? People go on about lurcher lads been thugs and disrespectful or whatever but not the case here. And before anyone says anything the place i was seen the other night is bordering my permission i was scouting the area.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its a sad reflection on the majority of lurcher owners that they do not have a clue on basic countryside knowledge and the laws of the land.Any dog out of control amidst stock should be shot and the o

Bastarts even photo bomd my pictures lol

Spot on that.   We had one last year come screaming over in his pickup, got out balling and shouting and sticking his chest out. It was just scare tactics. Once he saw I was calm and trying to be r

Posted Images

Ninty nine times of a hundred when someonw acts like that, all angry and thretening, its just bullshit... It's the only way they know to try and stop someone,,he probably feels more intimidated than you..

Ninty nine times of a hundred when someonw acts like that, all angry and thretening, its just bullshit... It's the only way they know to try and stop someone,,he probably feels more intimidated than you..

Spot on that.

We had one last year come screaming over in his pickup, got out balling and shouting and sticking his chest out. It was just scare tactics. Once he saw I was calm and trying to be reasonable he piped right down and we ended up having a civil chat (agreeing to disagree) and shaking hands.

I've heard stories about them shooting dogs but for most of them it wouldn't be worth the myther. They don't know the first thing about you but you know where they live, where they work and what motor they drive.

• Like 9

I got a call whilst driving home on a lane one afternoon,so pulled off lane into gateway to take the call.next min a land rovers blocked me in.this rural looking chap files up to my window shouting," is that a long dog,you got a long dog,a long dog,youve been in my field.i said it's a short dog ya hill billy clown.fekin hell he was frothing at the mouth.

• Like 5

They can only legally shoot a dog for worrying stock.

But as we all know that doesn't always stop them.

true, the law will always side with the farmer anyway. suppose the only way you might have chance if there no live stock on the ground , then the farmer could get in deep shit if he shot your dog, but if there stock on his farm , and even if you were coupled fields away from his stock, the law would back him if killed your dog. and if the dog on a lead, and no danger to the stock the farmer would be cu*t if still shot the dog. some farmers/keepers think there above the law with the above,but somtimes they shoot the wrong dog , i heard this years ago when i was teen lol, it cost the farmer a fortune in new windows for his house .!!

• Like 1

It does happen there was an issue recently on carlton towers at selby where the keeper run over a lads dogs and also shot one.

There are lads on here who will know exactly what happened.

All hell broke loose with the keeper needing police protection but it is my understanding he is still there.

A lot of years ago a farmer on the edge of my village shot some dogs with a bullet gun.

One of the dogs was killed outright but another dog which was on a lead was shot with the bullet going striaght through.

The dog died later.

No one could ever understand how this farmer kept his gun licence and no action was taken against him.

The owner of the dog could have been easily shot.

Charges could have been braught against both parties but it is my understanding they came to an agreement to both drop charges.