Carpet Mill/slat Mill

A lot of lads run down treadmills/slatmills and say its not the same as natural running but if you are working long days its better than no exercise and if you give your dog a good free run or mooch at weekends and put him on mill during long winter nights i bet they would do okay not everyone has the luxury of 3 walks per day unless your retired or professional dogmen.

That's what makes me laugh about mills. Lads think they're a great way of exercising a dog while you have your dinner etc. but to use a mill properly you should walk the dog before putting him on the mill to empty him out (you could damage his kidneys etc. otherwise) and you should walk him after his mill work to cool down. While he's on the mill you've to stand beside him because only a fool would leave a dog on a mill unaided as things can go seriously wrong.

Hunting dogs need mental stimulation as well as aerobic exercise and running while looking at a wall is not stimulation.

JMHO but terriermen who use mills are wannabee dogfighters at heart.

well thats fairly obvious neil that you walk dog before he goes on mill to empty out you dont want a conveyor belt of shit theres enough of that on here what i meant was a mill doesnt come close to proper exercise but on a dark winters night when you cant safely roadwork a dog without been mown down by a nutcase in a boyracer car a mill is a good way to build up a dogs wind rather than leaving it rot in the kennels. I never mentioned dogfighting either you sound like the ispca that every man who has a mill likes dogfighting i have no interest in any of that and i dont have a mill yet either but i am interested in getting one as an aid for exercise with free running and plenty of stimulation.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For normal working terriers ,I disagree. I know a bit about using mills and when it comes to hunting dogs mills are more of a benefit to the owner than the dog.

That's what makes me laugh about mills. Lads think they're a great way of exercising a dog while you have your dinner etc. but to use a mill properly you should walk the dog before putting him on the

make you one if you let me know what size dog you going to run on it?

Posted Images

The mill is an excellent bit of kit to be used ALONGSIDE other forms of exercise NOT as a substitute. As for working an earth dog on one, always found plenty of hand walking and their job was more than enough...j.m.o.

Yokel

• Like 1

I've always like to know if my dog fails it's not through fitness . I believe a lot of dogs fail because of this . I use the mill just for intense work which you can't do on a bike or walk . I.e for when they first enter and when your going to brake through . At least I know they've got the wind and recovery to carry on . And not be blowing out there arse .

• Like 4

A lot of lads run down treadmills/slatmills and say its not the same as natural running but if you are working long days its better than no exercise and if you give your dog a good free run or mooch at weekends and put him on mill during long winter nights i bet they would do okay not everyone has the luxury of 3 walks per day unless your retired or professional dogmen.

That's what makes me laugh about mills. Lads think they're a great way of exercising a dog while you have your dinner etc. but to use a mill properly you should walk the dog before putting him on the mill to empty him out (you could damage his kidneys etc. otherwise) and you should walk him after his mill work to cool down. While he's on the mill you've to stand beside him because only a fool would leave a dog on a mill unaided as things can go seriously wrong.

Hunting dogs need mental stimulation as well as aerobic exercise and running while looking at a wall is not stimulation.

well thats fairly obvious neil that you walk dog before he goes on mill to empty out you dont want a conveyor belt of shit theres enough of that on here what i meant was a mill doesnt come close to proper exercise but on a dark winters night when you cant safely roadwork a dog without been mown down by a nutcase in a boyracer car a mill is a good way to build up a dogs wind rather than leaving it rot in the kennels. I never mentioned dogfighting either you sound like the ispca that every man who has a mill likes dogfighting i have no interest in any of that and i dont have a mill yet either but i am interested in getting one as an aid for exercise with free running and plenty of stimulation.

I was talking about piss not shit. If you feed in the evening your dogs guts will be empty by the time you put him on the mill the next day.

However if our dog has clean water available 24/7 it might have a bladder full and to put him on a mill could boil his kidneys.

Nothing to do with sounding like the ISPCA but all about being a practical dogman.

Mills are for building wind and pointing a dog and IMO when used regularly on terriers would result in highly strung pain in the ass.

Mills can be dangerous in the wrong hands and it was either Don Mayfield or Earl Tudor who said they are a great aid when used correctly but a disaster when used badly.

I've always enjoyed walking the dogs, bit of quite time alone is great. It only gets them so far I know but walks and work has always been good enough for me. I don't have the same expectations working the dogs August- September, the ground can be that dry and tight, milled dogs would struggle. Your always gonna miss a couple start of the season, your just building there fitness up

• Like 1

One of the funniest things I've seen regarding mills was a chap sitting in his sitting room watching Coronation Street with a baby monitor beside him. The other monitor was out in the garage beside the mill which his bulldog was running and when he'd hear the mill slowing down he shout into the monitor to speed the dog back up.

• Like 2

One of the funniest things I've seen regarding mills was a chap sitting in his sitting room watching Coronation Street with a baby monitor beside him. The other monitor was out in the garage beside the mill which his bulldog was running and when he'd hear the mill slowing down he shout into the monitor to speed the dog back up.

Ha ha ha

a guy I used to work for brought a coursing greyhound at the end of last season..dog came from who I consider Ireland's top trainer(curly)/m.o.d)_,dog had never been on a walker
  • Like 2

TinyTiger, do you remember a time when all greyhound men were lean and fit. How many do you see nowadays that haven't seen their feet in years.

My daughter used to workride for a small but very successful horse trainer. He refused to have a horse walker on his yard but always galloped them on the gallops and the beach and gave them long hacks on the road.

One time the son of Irelands top NH trainer spent a couple of days on the yard and asked the trainer why were his horses always so happy.

But that's all well and good talking about greyhound and horse trainers but terriermen need to be as fit and up to the job as their terrier and standing beside a mill (or sitting watching Corrie) wont get a man in shape for digging.

• Like 3

Dont know much about mills but I reckon its better for a terriers (& terriermans) state of mind to be exercised in the countryside free to run, hunt & explore than to be taken from an enclosed kennel put on a mill in an enclosed shed or garage. IMO you will have a happier kennel with less kennel fights &/or barking/howling & better all round terriers....(of course a mill is better than nothing)

• Like 2

I'd agree with that Neil. I enjoy getting the dogs out and having a bit of peace and quiet over the fields aswell as keeping them mentally and physically fit by doing so. Ive never struggled with a 'digging dog' failing through being unfit so trotting them on a mill IMO could be a bit overkill and like has been said could make them total superfit head bangers during the summer and a nightmare to kennel. But each to their own.

• Like 1

Some folks work and don't have time to run the dogs in a field everyday.and the mill is good exercise and not every dog will work the mill, it take a dog that wants to work. And it's just a extra conditioning tool that's all. I'm making a Jenny for mine. It's just good exercise while they work to get to the quarry on the other side.some would call it drive building.

I work 5 days a week and in Winter I leave the house in the dark and get home in the dark added to the time restraints of having a young family but the dogs still get plenty of exercise and are fit enough for work. I fully agree it's a handy tool to have but I think it could make a lot of owners lazy, they look good bits of kit but how necessary they are for working terriers is up for debate I think.