Carpet Mill/slat Mill

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For normal working terriers ,I disagree. I know a bit about using mills and when it comes to hunting dogs mills are more of a benefit to the owner than the dog.

That's what makes me laugh about mills. Lads think they're a great way of exercising a dog while you have your dinner etc. but to use a mill properly you should walk the dog before putting him on the

make you one if you let me know what size dog you going to run on it?

Posted Images

I dont know how you can say that for a 100% certainty with terriers. Ive never dug a dog or failed to dig a dog and thought the dog would have done better with more fitness. How can you say? I'm talking the difference between a dog thats walked twice a day, fed good food and kept in good kennels between a dog that runs on a mill. How can you tell the difference between the 2?

I'm Not a fan of the rpmillmakers . They look the part to start with . But a lot of people heve been getting them off me mate because they don't all spin as advertised and the build quality not great . I know people who have used them hard and with in a year rattled to death . Did you import it yourself . ? And vids of it spinning .

Out of interest..... How long have you been making these mills ?

I know lots of good dog men who had them off of RP and never had the problems you mentioned , above.

And you'll find most good kennels here in the U.K + Ireland are using RPMillmaker mills.

I dont know how you can say that for a 100% certainty with terriers. Ive never dug a dog or failed to dig a dog and thought the dog would have done better with more fitness. How can you say? I'm talking the difference between a dog thats walked twice a day, fed good food and kept in good kennels between a dog that runs on a mill. How can you tell the difference between the 2?

You cannot...... Simple as !

All a good digging dog needs is a good diet and plenty of general exercise.

Diet is 80-90% of fitness.

Be it humans or dogs.

I'm Not a fan of the rpmillmakers . They look the part to start with . But a lot of people heve been getting them off me mate because they don't all spin as advertised and the build quality not great . I know people who have used them hard and with in a year rattled to death . Did you import it yourself . ? And vids of it spinning .

Out of interest..... How long have you been making these mills ?

I know lots of good dog men who had them off of RP and never had the problems you mentioned , above.

And you'll find most good kennels here in the U.K + Ireland are using RPMillmaker mills.

5 years . If your happy with rp then that's fair enough mate .

Isn't that like saying a marathon runner would be a good hard fighting bantam weight boxer coz he is fit

Not quite, but we've all seen what fitness (or lack thereof) can do to a fighter

If anyone has ever fought, for fun or amateur or professional, they all know what having a good bit of stamina behind you can do

• Like 1

A dog that's doing the extra work has got to be fitter it can't not be . If me and you was doing the same walk eating the same food and sleeping in the same conditions we would have the same fitness but if you then started sneaking in some sprints but I was sticking to the same regime then obviously you would be fitter than me . And you would find the runs walks whatever easier than me .

Dead eyes I agree with you. I box and try my hardest when i compete to have as much air as I can and hope the other guy didn't pUT in the work I did. When your out of air your mind plays a funny game.you can be the best but if you can't breath your worthless

• Like 3

When you look at it that way HPR I get where youre coming from.

Everyone's right mate in there own way . Like Neil said you can easily do to much on them and burn your dog out . I've done this myself with other dogs and it's quite easy to do . And it's like you've said you've got to have stimulation and good bedding quarters . And like Aeron said foods a big thing I'm a big believer in this good foods a must . If you can put all this in place then your getting somewhere . If you can add a mill in or a bit of swimming it's all a brucey bonus . The thing is with a mill there a must for some dogs but as for terriers there not a must . But if you had one around you it would be daft not to use it in my eyes . I even but my pointer on mine mate .
  • Like 1

You cannot...... Simple as !

All a good digging dog needs is a good diet and plenty of general exercise.

Diet is 80-90% of fitness.

Be it humans or dogs.

Genetics is 90 percent full stop. If its not there no grub will bring it out

Conditioning is great aiming for a set date,WE as working terrier blokes cannot hope to have a dog at the conclusion of his keep, ready from August to March.

Best for us is a fit healthy well preped athelete. Recovery can mean mi utes, hours or days. For me personally sometimes I have to get a dog back to work before I'm happy.

Edited by Pick and bar