I Just Couldnt Help Myself, I Just Had To Try It.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If your going to start them young then do it properly and forget silly pissy rabbits get them pulling some proper gear .......  

with the season drawing closer and my new pup getting bigger by the day i have been looking forward to the start of the season, and that first night of light rain and wind.   yesterday mornings for

There has always been a reluctance to risk spoiling/souring a race dog or hare coursing prospect, by overmatching it at an early age,..but, jukels destined to be roustabout catch dogs ,...LURCHERS,...

Posted Images

trigger is welsh but he is talking a little bit of sense if a pup can't stick walking through a little bit of shit when there 8 weeks old they aint worth keeping ,before you knock it try it.

Try what running pups? before the joints have jelled

:hmm:There has always been a reluctance to risk spoiling/souring a race dog or hare coursing prospect, by overmatching it at an early age,..but, jukels destined to be roustabout catch dogs ,...LURCHERS,....need to learn a whole lot of devious twists and turns,..and like their human partners,..be savvy to every trick and treat, that is available to them...

For a hunter,...the catch is all important,...it ain't about the winning,..its the filling of the van that counts...

Edited by Phil Lloyd
  • Like 9

Running a dog before its fully grown poses a risk, running one in the middle of summer, well that speaks for itself, it's too hot the grounds too solid but at end of day it's up too the owner

They have to run them now especially the bitches because they will be lined at their first season.
you talk some shit-how come there's tons of coursing bred shit up for sale at 9 months of age?same as the wankers with the greyhounds,none of you slippery fuckers could lie straight in bed-people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones .they may well of been squatters so no harm done imo.do you slate folk who have their pups out ferretting from 3 m old?atb dc

i personally would not run a pup so young lads but whats the difference effect on a pups body from it running two rabbits to running round like a nutter with other dogs tumbling over ect surely the same

I think the jist is if you have a young dog with a bit of muscle and a lot of dertimination he can exert him self far hard than his body can take. At least I think thats what mine did then he got up and went again and I had to carry the sod home. On the other hand if you have a more laid back type thats going to bimble about then you would be fine. Each to there own

The one I have now no as she isn't mentally or physically able and won't be at that age ... Her mother Tilly caught a partridge out of a hedge row at 8 weeks of age and caught her own game consistently after that ... She tracked her first roe stag at 6 months of age ... All dogs are different and some are far more capable as pups than others .......

Yeah of course your pup come across the partridge? but would you take a pup out intending to run it at 18 weeks old ?

It all depends on the pup and time of year ... If I had a pup that was solid and was running well and was naturally putting in a jink and turn without falling over like a clumsy toddler and there were half grown stupid rabbits about then yes why not ... One or two little runs on a rabbit are not going to tax a well built strong pup ........

• Like 5

The one I have now no as she isn't mentally or physically able and won't be at that age ... Her mother Tilly caught a partridge out of a hedge row at 8 weeks of age and caught her own game consistently after that ... She tracked her first roe stag at 6 months of age ... All dogs are different and some are far more capable as pups than others .......

Yeah of course your pup come across the partridge? but would you take a pup out intending to run it at 18 weeks old ?
It all depends on the pup and time of year ... If I had a pup that was solid and was running well and was naturally putting in a jink and turn without falling over like a clumsy toddler and there were half grown stupid rabbits about then yes why not ... One or two little runs on a rabbit are not going to tax a well built strong pup ........

Ok mate nice one

Nice one trigger and Ben he's starting off really well for mate if you are happy who cares it works for you I had billy in the house last night watching hunting lions on dicecovery Chanel he's only 9 weeks lol

• Like 1

Running a dog before its fully grown poses a risk, running one in the middle of summer, well that speaks for itself, it's too hot the grounds too solid but at end of day it's up too the owner

They have to run them now especially the bitches because they will be lined at their first season.
you talk some shit-how come there's tons of coursing bred shit up for sale at 9 months of age?same as the wankers with the greyhounds,none of you slippery fuckers could lie straight in bed-people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones .they may well of been squatters so no harm done imo.do you slate folk who have their pups out ferretting from 3 m old?atb dc

I am not accountable for tons of dogs only my own and experts such as yourself shouldnt spout unless you are knowledgeable. I know who,s talking shit, as for slippery fuckers you speaking about yourself ?

Edited by desertbred

Was waiting for this trigg seems like the rain has moved up country gonna have aloof for a pricked me thinks got try keep up with the dark destroyer lol feck the crabbers it his what it his natural they come on in there own pace when taken out early if they ta be right they get over little indescretionsjust don't go for the ton till he around nine mths trigg lol.mint there fella atbbunnys.

• Like 1

Well done Trigger...i know that it was always your plan to start Big Ben young and I'm really glad it's payed off for you mate, This isn't a young lad who know's feck all about dogs but a lad who's been very successful using this method on his other dogs.

I remember many years ago a guy ( Paul Ford I think) wrote in the Shooting News about doing the same kind of entering...he also got shot to pieces.

I've never entered a dog to lamping at such an early age but always get them out ferreting within the first few months...

Each to their own...if it works for you mate keep at it...

ATB postie

• Like 1