Rock Piles

Used to Tank. There's plenty of quarries in my area and we used to bolt foxes out of them for lurchers. Since the Celtic Tiger roared in most of the quarries opened back up and are now more dangerous than ever. Either that or there's security men or CCTV watching them.

Used to love doing them and remember a few times lying on my belly looking at a terrier working it's fox way down through the rocks and nothing we could do .

Regarding terriers killing their fox and coming out ?

If you know your terrier you'll know whether that fox is dead or not.

I would say in my life I've only ever had a couple of terriers that would have made good rock dogs and the terriers I have now IMO wouldn't be suitable.

• Like 1

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

pic of sons dog last week at show 8 years old that was his first show looks like Mick dog smooth coated very steady in his work but gets the job done

Here is pic of Kirstysdads old dog..   Dog was a real Legend and worked up to a ripe old age, I was lucky enough to get a lining of this dog    

Great post.... Black and Tan the Father to Kirstysdads dog and the red terrier is his brother. Both doing the job  

Posted Images

its amazing how many folk have the same theories/stories of the old fell hunters from books, for rockpiles that yous cant dig yous all seem to have xray vision... no disrespect but how can yous even let on yous know whats going on?

I go out equipped to tackle most stuff & out to work dogs and if its realistic no problem, but not all... If farmer or keeper walked me up to a rockpile with my terrier that looked like id never see her/him again and said that's the only hole in the area... say what you like but im heading back to vehicle terrier on lead.... and suggest a few different ways that the predator could be controlled humanely and safely.

stop end I had the sire of Russell tucks bitch if he could get to his fox he would kill it simple as the dog was 3/4 bedlington1/4 Lakeland and when he was in the ground many times over night sometimes days he would eat some of the fox plenty of pics on working bedlingtons on here mate atb
I know a few terriers that are able to dispatch a fox underground, the reason i know this is because when there dug out they are with there fox and i have witnessed it. Yous are saying your terrier does this and that in the rocks and what im saying is unless you get to your dog in the rocks yous havent a flying notion whats going on down there. Just cos a dog has a few marks after running rocks yous only assume hes killed the fox... and i have not seen 1 picture of any bedlingtons anywhere even to ground with a fox!
pop to South Wales I have loads of photos mate there's plenty of bedlingtons hybrids killing foxes below ground only the ones that bay are very close to they fox and the intention to kill it as I've said look up the working bedlingtons on here me and a good mate done part time terrier work with a registered hunt pack with bedlingtons we would only use them in small places to get to them quick otherwise it would be all over in minutes atb

no thanks I wont be popping over to south wales to look at photos. and what kind of small places were you doing with them to get to them quick other wise it would be over in mins? when out with hounds we regularly run in foxes at 0.4 even an 0.4 takes longer than mins realistically terrier in finds and tounges...up to fox wether he wants to evict from his safe guard if he doesent we proceed to rescue terrier and quarry an 0.4 may take 20 mins so I know all about handy ones... it takes mins for terrier to find sometimes longer then they have to bolt it or settle it... once settled I like to make sure it is a positive mark before you disrupt any soil.... even then there is no panic so say 2 men digging 1M it would take at least 40 mins to open properly no pokes a proper area where men terrier and quarry is easily accesble... then spade in and tether terrier and dispatch fox as quickly safely, and as humanely as possible....what im saying is im not knocking rock dogs 1 bit. what I am saying is in muck theres usually an end result and theories can be put aside on break through... in rocks its a bit of a guessing game not fact.

I reckon a lot of it is actually knowing the way your terrier works as in its style of working,a sounder-mixer type may stay all day but not dispatch its fox where a dog that is bred for purpose will do so with little fuss.I have seen and owned dogs that would regulary kill fox to ground,not once or twice but on a regular basis especially on a deepish dig where the terrier is to ground for a long time.We have a black fell type dog here at the minute that has on more than a couple of occasions come out before the break through only for us to keep going the last ft or so to reveal a very dead fox and we have also seen this same dog in tight spots where he cant make contact and he will not leave.I know when that dog finds and is in the same place for a period of time then comes out with signs of work on him your digging to a dead fox.I know the men that work rocks places cant see an end result but if they know there dogs and the way they work then they should know when a terrier has done its job,im sure they also work the odd earth that can be dug so know the dogs style of working.I had a small black bitch about 16-17 years ago that was robbed on me and i can honestly say i never dug a live fox with her,she had a knack to killing them and took little grief herself.

• Like 1

its amazing how many folk have the same theories/stories of the old fell hunters from books, for rockpiles that yous cant dig yous all seem to have xray vision... no disrespect but how can yous even let on yous know whats going on?

I go out equipped to tackle most stuff & out to work dogs and if its realistic no problem, but not all... If farmer or keeper walked me up to a rockpile with my terrier that looked like id never see her/him again and said that's the only hole in the area... say what you like but im heading back to vehicle terrier on lead.... and suggest a few different ways that the predator could be controlled humanely and safely.

stop end I had the sire of Russell tucks bitch if he could get to his fox he would kill it simple as the dog was 3/4 bedlington1/4 Lakeland and when he was in the ground many times over night sometimes days he would eat some of the fox plenty of pics on working bedlingtons on here mate atb
I know a few terriers that are able to dispatch a fox underground, the reason i know this is because when there dug out they are with there fox and i have witnessed it. Yous are saying your terrier does this and that in the rocks and what im saying is unless you get to your dog in the rocks yous havent a flying notion whats going on down there. Just cos a dog has a few marks after running rocks yous only assume hes killed the fox... and i have not seen 1 picture of any bedlingtons anywhere even to ground with a fox!
pop to South Wales I have loads of photos mate there's plenty of bedlingtons hybrids killing foxes below ground only the ones that bay are very close to they fox and the intention to kill it as I've said look up the working bedlingtons on here me and a good mate done part time terrier work with a registered hunt pack with bedlingtons we would only use them in small places to get to them quick otherwise it would be all over in minutes atb

no thanks I wont be popping over to south wales to look at photos. and what kind of small places were you doing with them to get to them quick other wise it would be over in mins? when out with hounds we regularly run in foxes at 0.4 even an 0.4 takes longer than mins realistically terrier in finds and tounges...up to fox wether he wants to evict from his safe guard if he doesent we proceed to rescue terrier and quarry an 0.4 may take 20 mins so I know all about handy ones... it takes mins for terrier to find sometimes longer then they have to bolt it or settle it... once settled I like to make sure it is a positive mark before you disrupt any soil.... even then there is no panic so say 2 men digging 1M it would take at least 40 mins to open properly no pokes a proper area where men terrier and quarry is easily accesble... then spade in and tether terrier and dispatch fox as quickly safely, and as humanely as possible....what im saying is im not knocking rock dogs 1 bit. what I am saying is in muck theres usually an end result and theories can be put aside on break through... in rocks its a bit of a guessing game not fact.

"...even then there is no panic so say 2 men digging 1M it would take at least 40 mins to open properly".

no thanks I wont be popping over to south wales to look at photos. and what kind of small places were you doing with them to get to them quick other wise it would be over in mins? when out with hounds we regularly run in foxes at 0.4 even an 0.4 takes longer than mins realistically terrier in finds and tounges...up to fox wether he wants to evict from his safe guard if he doesent we proceed to rescue terrier and quarry an 0.4 may take 20 mins so I know all about handy ones... it takes mins for terrier to find sometimes longer then they have to bolt it or settle it... once settled I like to make sure it is a positive mark before you disrupt any soil.... even then there is no panic so say 2 men digging 1M it would take at least 40 mins to open properly no pokes a proper area where men terrier and quarry is easily accesble... then spade in and tether terrier and dispatch fox as quickly safely, and as humanely as possible....what im saying is im not knocking rock dogs 1 bit. what I am saying is in muck theres usually an end result and theories can be put aside on break through... in rocks its a bit of a guessing ga

Edited by neil cooney

I reckon a lot of it is actually knowing the way your terrier works as in its style of working,a sounder-mixer type may stay all day but not dispatch its fox where a dog that is bred for purpose will do so with little fuss.I have seen and owned dogs that would regulary kill fox to ground,not once or twice but on a regular basis especially on a deepish dig where the terrier is to ground for a long time.We have a black fell type dog here at the minute that has on more than a couple of occasions come out before the break through only for us to keep going the last ft or so to reveal a very dead fox and we have also seen this same dog in tight spots where he cant make contact and he will not leave.I know when that dog finds and is in the same place for a period of time then comes out with signs of work on him your digging to a dead fox.I know the men that work rocks places cant see an end result but if they know there dogs and the way they work then they should know when a terrier has done its job,im sure they also work the odd earth that can be dug so know the dogs style of working.I had a small black bitch about 16-17 years ago that was robbed on me and i can honestly say i never dug a live fox with her,she had a knack to killing them and took little grief herself.

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Written by a man who keeps his terriers from youngsters till they're old and retired, not swapped and changed like his socks.

Off course you'll know what your terrier has or hasn't done if you know it inside and out.

look at the forum mate we dug plenty a good bedlingtons hybrid will go for the kill mate they don't bay sadly that's why I've lost a few atb
  • Like 1

Written by a man who keeps his terriers from youngsters till they're old and retired, not swapped and changed like his socks.

Off course you'll know what your terrier has or hasn't done if you know it inside and out.

Lol. yes 40 mins to dig 3 foot..im in no rush, and always on permission so no panic... lol.. id say half of yous dig like maniacs panicing incase your terrier shows.. his work only really starts once the digging starts.. plus im not guaranteed they may get worked that day again..so im defo in no rush..and of course anyone who works there dog regurarly knows exactly how they work..

Good luck to the lads and men who have experience in working rock piles and underground such places the had to encounter and get to know.used places and new and knowing ,having the right thing for the job and the bravery of the tykes knowing the graft,and weather conditions.

• Like 1

Good luck to the lads and men who have experience in working rock piles and underground such places the had to encounter and get to know.used places and new and knowing ,having the right thing for the job and the bravery of the tykes knowing the graft,and weather conditions.

Lol. yes 40 mins to dig 3 foot..im in no rush, and always on permission so no panic... lol.. id say half of yous dig like maniacs panicing incase your terrier shows.. his work only really starts once the digging starts.. plus im not guaranteed they may get worked that day again..so im defo in no rush..and of course anyone who works there dog regurarly knows exactly how they work..
stopend in the digging competitions how long do yea get to dig it and what is the average depth??

Those who work rock no what has happens in them ...i have seen plenty of good rock dogs work an each one that goes down to find his quarry you no pretty much what's happing...all you have to do is listen seen few dogs go in an came put peppered after a hour or two an the owner says he killed him when really he bayed an mixed a bit an come of sore ...also herd dogs growing an going mental to get in a crack wher he canny get in to an ther be his quarry looking back at him...an after a hour ,day he has come out with not a scratch bit yet sounded like he was getting a face full.... Seen dogs go in an hit his quarry hard an kill them within minutes an listen to him naggin on him before he comes out an yet drop him in again am he could take hours to finish him.... If your working rocks on a regular basis you get to no what's your dog is doing..an as for saying untill you dig your dog out you'll not no weather your dog has killed him or not. All I can say is untill you have worked them you cannot really comment...

• Like 8

So you've just contradicted yourself twice.

To be politically correct you're now calling a dig a rescue, but while rescuing the terrier you take your time.

You said that unless you see the result that terrierwork is guesswork. Then you said that of course if you work your terrier regularly you'll know what it's done below ground.

Make up your mind. How would a dog swapper like yourself build a bond with a terrier ?

Also by saying that those who dig quickly do so because they think their terrier will come away, you've just insulted a hell of a lot of good terriermen with that remark.

IMO those who dig quickly do so because they can.

3 foot in 40 minutes, LOL, try telling that to a huntsman, LOL.

• Like 1

The man has got a point but not the way he or you insults.people I've seen have dug fast through the problem in the head and experience that really its guesswork to them ; and any spot do as long dog is going to stay and the going is easy straightforward for dog and man.any thing elze and not happy camperz