Raw Fed Dogs Any Health And Performance Benefits?

as a new raw feeding convert of just two years now i am convinced ive seen benefits in the health and in the field of my dogs in this short period.. but would be interesting to hear from anyone that has always fed their dogs on a strictly raw and balanced diet throughout the dogs entire early and working life and if was kept into retirement then how did they fare health wise into old age ect..... maybe compare this to dogs you may have had previously and fed only dry or tinned..cheers be good to hear of any experiences.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

id imagine it boils down to the quality of the dry food if you want to get a good back on a dog and your feeding cheap food you would have to feed it twice as much as a good type nut hence more sh1t t

My dogs get worked most days and quite a few nights and the amount of dry food I would have to pump into them to keep them in condition would be ridiculous ... Apart from that dry takes a lot longer t

Mine get weaned onto meat at 3 weeks and stay on it ... I supplement with eggs goats milk fish veg fruits raw bones etc from day one ... As for feeding amounts every dog is different ... The bitch I

Posted Images

They run better,recover better and look better on barf,they run well,recover well and look ok,especially with supplements,on dry.Id say that the benefits of each diet will seldom be tested with the average dog and kennel.Id never feed dry if barf was available,id be happy to feed dry if it was not and few will see the difference.

• Like 3

I agree with Morton in that most dogs won't be tested hard enough in the field to see much difference. The odd nights lamping isn't that taxing to a running dog and it would manage on brown bread I'm sure.

The lads who really hammer their dogs will surely see a better recovery rate and therefore better performance the night after.

I feed raw because I like looking after my mutts, it keeps their teeth sparkling instead of caked in shit, and their coats gleem like I've never seen on dry food alone.

• Like 2

I think we get more out of feeding our dogs well than they do ,I feed raw ,and have mostly since I've had dogs ,but have ,at times switched to complete..

Some did well some didn't.

go with what fits with you .

I think some dogs would do well on the contents of the average dustbin ,while some won't look well on the finest meat you can buy. But without scientific tests I don't think there's a way of knowing if a particular dog will do better or not in back to back tests

• Like 3

My dogs get worked most days and quite a few nights and the amount of dry food I would have to pump into them to keep them in condition would be ridiculous ... Apart from that dry takes a lot longer to digest fully and when your working dogs day in day out with nights thrown in they need high protein food that they can quickly digest and utilise and you won't get that from dry .........

• Like 4

I absolutely hammer my hounds and its got to be flesh for me it seems to keep a back on them but i think thats got to do with they eat more ov it because they like it better, if your running them 4 nights a week the last thing you want them doing is picking at complete ,you want it them as quick as poss then rest ,

• Like 3

i think the benefits to there teeth is underestimated a mouth full of scum coated rotten teeth can shorten the lifespan of a dog. the main benefits have got to be later on in a working dogs life. and after

• Like 1

I have been feeding barf about 3 years now and I certainly haven't seen any negatives. Before I become a full bore advocate I wish to see how my friends and families dogs fare on their respective diets. The research I have done on this subject is what made me choose barf diet and does make sense to my 'wild' instincts lol

• Like 1

Just feeding raw is to limiting to my mind, I'd much rather go for a balanced diet that contains some carbs etc and have found no problems with completes as part of this. I tend to feed a varied diet that is made up of meat and bones along with other food sources which tend to be cooked. Admittedly just having the one at the mo means that I’m not giving much complete as table scraps etc make up a fair proportion of the diet, ie this morning the dog had a full bowl of the remains of Sunday lunch, chicken, veg, potatoes but tonight will get a scoop of complete.. When I've two or more in the then I use more complete and don't tend to find it makes any difference.

Perhaps a balanced diet is all they need but what makes the difference is down to exercise/work, kennelling etc :thumbs:.

• Like 1

Like Logan and others said if the dogs are seein a shit load of work all winter, dry food no where near enough. I like mine on barf, I also mix it be it brown bread, pasta, veg or even good quality dry. Aslong as the barf is there imo, suppose it's down to the dog the owner and work load. If your dogs doing good on why your doing then I wouldn't even think of a change.

• Like 1

I feed raw, I like the look of the dog on it, nice clean teeth, 2 small shits a day, not dehydrated, you know what's in the food...etc etc No carbs, just added mixed vege/fruit pulp & salmon oil.

.....recently had to use a boarding kennel for the first time ever, I left a lean, fit looking terrier......6 days later I picked up a bloated barrel! Haha...

Yeh I'll stick with raw...;-)

Edited by Accip74
  • Like 2