Best Dry Food

tried all the top bag food in time including Origen 80 quid a bag ,nothing beats raw in my eyes

I use mixture of both covers all eventualities, but these new age feeds are a major step forward, they stem from Canada where the feed standards are massively better than our own poor standards for dogs and they not even in same ball park quality wise

Yet all the top mushers out there feed their sled dogs predominantly on fish and meat ........

• Like 2

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To my mind I’d say it would depend on how much of the diet is going to be complete, if 100% then use a decent one based on trial and error as to what suits the dog. If feeding it along with meat, bone

There is no best dry food it's all shit .......

Sunday mornings crack of dawn, climb over butchers back gate we a couple of bin bags, bins full of whole chickens, sausages. burgers,fish. meat n bones, job done, , costs me nowt to feed dog n stinke

tried all the top bag food in time including Origen 80 quid a bag ,nothing beats raw in my eyes

I use mixture of both covers all eventualities, but these new age feeds are a major step forward, they stem from Canada where the feed standards are massively better than our own poor standards for dogs and they not even in same ball park quality wise

Yet all the top mushers out there feed their sled dogs predominantly on fish and meat ........

I've been out on the Iditarod (support crew) - our teams were fed a mixture of raw and kibble...as was every other team!!

• Like 1

I used to use Gain record breaker when it contained more meat than any other ingredient. They changed the recipe so it's no different than any other cheapy now. I tried switching to Redmill racer as I can get it cheap but it makes them fart unbelievably!!!! I only feed a very small amount too so I've got something to fall back on if I run out of meat and bone. Even then the big bitch farts something wicked.

If anyone does know of a reasonably priced half decent one I'd like to know. I'll probably stop feeding kibble altogether to Sadie as she just doesn't fart at all when I leave it out.

I've been out on the Iditarod (support crew) - our teams were fed a mixture of raw and kibble...as was every other team!!

Yep I was there many moons ago that's why I said PREDOMINATELY feed meat and fish .......

Yep I was there many moons ago that's why I said PREDOMINATELY feed meat and fish .......

So the sled dogs get kibble? I wouldn't of thought that.

I imagined they were fed solely on meat, fish and lots of fat.

I used to use Gain record breaker when it contained more meat than any other ingredient. They changed the recipe so it's no different than any other cheapy now. I tried switching to Redmill racer as I can get it cheap but it makes them fart unbelievably!!!! I only feed a very small amount too so I've got something to fall back on if I run out of meat and bone. Even then the big bitch farts something wicked.

If anyone does know of a reasonably priced half decent one I'd like to know. I'll probably stop feeding kibble altogether to Sadie as she just doesn't fart at all when I leave it out.

Gain record breaker was canny when it was 44% chicken and the dogs shit was similar to a raw diet, I still don't think its bad now but don't think its worth the extra from the normal gain. I noticed dogs looked well on gain so they must be getting something right.

I feed raw minced chicken and chicken backs now 16/17 kg for £7 I'd be mad not too.

Also feed beef, lamb, hard fat and veg which works out as cheap if not cheaper than a budget bag of dog food.

• Like 2

It depends on the feed stop gaz ... There are compulsory stops where the mushers have to take a set time off and there are stops where the mushers know they need to give the dogs X amount of rest so they feed meat and fish ... Then there are stops where the mushers pull up on the trail for a very short period of time and the dogs get a complete meal ... Most professional mushers only feed meat and fish when the dogs are in training .......

There is no best dry food it's all shit .......

Its not all shit and is convenient at times,i prefer a dog raised and entered on barf.Dry is the mainstay of many a kennel,kennels that see an awful lot of graft.I still prefer barf and believe a mutt fares better on it,dry works for many and my mutts did ok on Greyhound racer when it was a convenience.

It depends on the feed stop gaz ... There are compulsory stops where the mushers have to take a set time off and there are stops where the mushers know they need to give the dogs X amount of rest so they feed meat and fish ... Then there are stops where the mushers pull up on the trail for a very short period of time and the dogs get a complete meal ... Most professional mushers only feed meat and fish when the dogs are in training .......

Thanks for the info mate. It's all interesting stuff.

I've omitted all carbs from my dogs diet as a bit of an experiment. Supplementing meat, fat and bone with cod liver oil and occasional greens.

As said just an experiment really but they ain't looking too shabby.

• Like 1

started mine on minced chicken and carcusses, offal and he shites less but as far as I can see still looks the same as when on the 8 quid a bag dry stuff

he gets bout 50/50 at mo

Edited by terryd

Thanks for the info mate. It's all interesting stuff.

I've omitted all carbs from my dogs diet as a bit of an experiment. Supplementing meat, fat and bone with cod liver oil and occasional greens.

As said just an experiment really but they ain't looking too shabby.

Mine haven't had carbs for months .......

• Like 1

Just pointing out that Kibble is fed too - we did a mixture of horse, fish, fat and kibble mostly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4eUn7pmqLM - - a good video of food being set up for the drops on the Iditarod.

Edited by Miesque