Ideal Whippet?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lol that's funny, to be fair one of his whippets is a nice stamp.   If I had one then I would want one like this...  

Non pedigree whippet types from when we were kids,rabbit,hare,rat,cat anything they came across they would have a go at.

Whippets are often underestimated as hunting dogs,... In fact,..they can often enhance the breeding programe of a purist rabbiteer   Some specimans have an inate desire to catch their quarry,..the

Posted Images

I have seen some very good working whippets bred from MB stuff(SS lines,Soul Boy,Strike while the Iron`s hot etc,etc).These produce dogs around 21" tts and 30+ lbs.The ones I`ve seen are really strong with a huge prey drive.I`ve not seen better as rabbit catchers.They are like heat seeking missiles on bunnies.

, Edited by bobza

It's a well known fact, especially on here, that whippets are useless as working dogs. Just get a bull cross, WILL catch everything, pre ban or otherwise, mice to red deer :thumbs:

Its a well known fact that they are not the hunting dog of choice because they lack to much in the field.IF they are worked to their working potential they are as honest a dog,in the field,as many.The problems arise when the Whippet is portrayed as the ultimate hunting companion,the same problems never arise when the Whippet is portrayed at what it excels at.Im a big Whippet fan,especially with the honest posts a Whippet owner on here posts.Id not own a Whippet,or a cross because of what they lack in the field,id own one tomorrow if i hunted within in their honest constraints.

I have seen some very good working whippets bred from MB stuff(SS lines,Soul Boy,Strike while the Iron`s hot etc,etc).These produce dogs around 21" tts and 30+ lbs.The ones I`ve seen are really strong with a huge prey drive.I`ve not seen better as rabbit catchers.They are like heat seeking missiles on bunnies.

very good line and now the line I have in my kennels ,bred a litter last year and the stuff came out that line was true to the breeding ,today ive just seen a black dog I bred and hes going to be 22tts and looks just like soulboy ,strong stuff bred to work ,atb bobza

Nice one mate.

There's been pure whippets as big as that, and bigger, long before MB started breeding his dogs, which incidentally are derived from a lot of laguna breeding. I owned a bich 30 years ago that was 21.5" tts, that was mainly nimrodel, cockrow and nevedith bred. And the sire and dam of my last whippet, different breeding, but with some same dogs in pedigree, 24 years ago were 22.5" and 21.5" respectively. Big whippets are not a recent or rare thing.

Not being funny, just highlighting that there's pretty much always been big, and small, purebred whippets about :thumbs:

I agree with what you`re saying mate,you have a lot of experience with whippets. I was just saying that some of the whippets that have really impressed me in the field have been bred down from the dogs I mentioned.They seem to throw a similar stamp of dog which I think are an ideal size.

• Like 2

It's a well known fact, especially on here, that whippets

are useless as working dogs. Just get a bull cross, WILL catch everything, pre ban or otherwise, mice to red deer

:thumbs:

Its a well known fact that they are not the hunting dog of choice because they lack to much in the field.IF they are worked to their working potential they are as honest a dog,in the field,as many.The problems arise when the Whippet is portrayed as the ultimate hunting companion,the same problems never arise when the Whippet is portrayed at what it excels at.Im a big Whippet fan,especially with the honest posts a Whippet owner on here posts.Id not own a Whippet,or a cross because of what they lack in the field,id own one tomorrow if i hunted within in their honest constraints.

All crosses have there limitations fact, some more than others. To be fair reading the threads like this on whippets and whippet xs etc no one is really making out like they are the answer to every running dog mans prayers.

• Like 1

Any decent litters about

there 300 notes :laugh:

Made me chuckle that lol not for me, I'm just being nosey and besides I know a breeder that would gift me one. Tho I'd be more interested in a non ped if I'm honest and was seriously gonna get onee

You thought about whippet X lurcher? As in one parent a racey lurcher and the other a whippet?

Just chucking the idea out there. Might be a shit idea. Lol.

Saw one a few years ago and it was a belter. Think the Dam was collie/bull/whip/grey and Sire racing whippet. Was a really nice animal. Looked like a strong 22" whippet.

Any decent litters about

there 300 notes :laugh:

Made me chuckle that lol not for me, I'm just being nosey and besides I know a breeder that would gift me one. Tho I'd be more interested in a non ped if I'm honest and was seriously gonna get onee

You thought about whippet X lurcher? As in one parent a racey lurcher and the other a whippet?

Just chucking the idea out there. Might be a shit idea. Lol.

Saw one a few years ago and it was a belter. Think the Dam was collie/bull/whip/grey and Sire racing whippet. Was a really nice animal. Looked like a strong 22" whippet.

Gaz.that's been done a LOOONG LOOONG time ago. And some VERY good hare killers have been the result, and gone into some very good hare coursing strains/lines, whether the owners would like to admit or not. Whippet?! oooooh!