First Cross Kelpie Dog

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pic of him with his half X Mother….He is worked Daily & he does what i want him to! which is why i bred him…      

This pic of a first cross has been up before, I'm sure D.C. will recognise her. Now sadly gone...  

Posted Images

The big sheep farm I do a fair bit of rabbiting on the farmer keeps kelpies, fine looking animals, and seem a lot less nervy in their nature than the border, quite a bold type of animal.

Never seen a kelpie lurcher run but the couple on this thread look fine animals indeed, really nice.

It is Jigsaw

i've 3 of Them

A pure dog .half X Bitch.& a Reverse 3/4 Bred Dog! :thumbs::thumbs:

You Had a bitch off Mike Allen if i remember.

I bred Mike's Half X

Do you work your pure kelpie with sheep DC?
My shepherd works a pure kelpie on sheep. Very very keen dog. Endless energy and very flashy. She will gather out the field and works the pens well, backing and using her voice. This is a training video.

There is f**k all chance of getting a lurcher litter from this bitch though! Lol.

He also has cattle dogs, but they are used only for driving.

• Like 1

It is Jigsaw

i've 3 of Them

I bred Mike's Half X

My shepherd works a pure kelpie on sheep. Very very keen dog. Endless energy and very flashy. She will gather out the field and works the pens well, backing and using her voice. This is a training video.

There is f**k all chance of getting a lurcher litter from this bitch though! Lol.

Is that his dog in the video? You can never tire them kelpies out they just keep going.

Ours dont stop barking witch is what we want especially when gathering rough ground with a lot of bracons. What do you meen by flashy? Like a stylish way of working?

Some pup there

What a cracking pup, its horses for courses, i prefer the border crosses, the working borders especially the fell cur dogs are more leggier than the kelpies, i like kelpies although theres two types the yard dog, and the field dog which i prefer more, i really like the heading dogs, theyve got a lovely shape and size to them, i know a bloke who has a half cross heading dog back to a border, its a cracking work dog, and very pleasing to the eye, my hunting companion works a kelpie greyhound cross collie greyhound and she is a usefull bitch, i,m not knocking kelpie crosses theres one or two usefull dogs out there, and like i said its each to their own. regards collie john.

• Like 1

It is Jigsaw

i've 3 of Them

I bred Mike's Half X

Is that his dog in the video? You can never tire them kelpies out they just keep going.

Ours dont stop barking witch is what we want especially when gathering rough ground with a lot of bracons. What do you meen by flashy? Like a stylish way of working?

Aye that's his dog in the vid. She is quiet on the gather, unless told to 'Speak up!'. Uses her voice well in the pens though. She was working today loading tack lambs.

Yeah, I think she has a real stylish way of working.

I was surprised at how small she is mind. 14-15kg. I've a huntaway X collie X kelpie and he's pushing 24kg at 7 months old.

Wise words from Phil at the bottom of page three...I've heard so many people criticising kelpies and kelpie crosses just because they've bought them from particular lines. Lots of people will tell you that they bark all day and never switch off but if you pick from the right stock they can be very laid back and easy going.

Unlacedgecko: the dog in the video is related to my latest kelpie as Okara Max is his grandsire. (Edited to add that I've since realised she's actually related to all my kelpies, past and present as Izzy's sire was Rusty's sire, her dam was Amber's younger full sister and her grandsire was Scout's sire...small world.)

D.C. : good to see you on here again and really pleased to hear the 3/4 kelpie is doing well. Lots of people assume a 3/4 bred will be too heavy and cobby but as some kelpies themselves are quite lean and racey then adding a quarter greyhound should give you a handy dog. My pup is 3/8 Tracy H's old Aussie as he's his grandsire on one side and great grandsire on the other. He's a lovely dog; very easygoing with tons of character like my old boy Rusty who died in February aged sixteen.

Edited by Neal
  • Like 3