Old Timers

Much rather hear story's of no collars and long days, than sitting on your ass watching a bellman arrow tell where and what is happening. I would imagine the graft into finding a dog collarless and digging to it safely would be a content one. And id also say an art....... A chap i know told me a story he dug with his farther as a boy. Become of age took his old man out. Proceeded to put a collar on dog. His old man called him a knobead took collar off an threw it aside.

Cant beat and them old fellas, the world is changing and them men arnt coming back. But thr storys should remain . Atb

the old fella would soon look a knobhead if the dog was lost to ground.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i am now a lot older than the men i classed as old timers when i started , many of the big names around my area where poor terriermen , the only good thing about some was they could use a spade ! i we

Im surprised and sad at the old diggers getting knocked,especially by some older lads on here.I started digging in 1967 with hairy arse Country men some were my own family.These old timers were no foo

I've always said it and a lot of lads disagree with me, but, there's a better stamp of terrier and a better stamp of terrierman now than in the past. Plus, most of the laws we have now restricting te

Posted Images

Much rather hear story's of no collars and long days, than sitting on your ass watching a bellman arrow tell where and what is happening. I would imagine the graft into finding a dog collarless and digging to it safely would be a content one. And id also say an art....... A chap i know told me a story he dug with his farther as a boy. Become of age took his old man out. Proceeded to put a collar on dog. His old man called him a knobead took collar off an threw it aside.

Cant beat and them old fellas, the world is changing and them men arnt coming back. But thr storys should remain . Atb

Many a place a terrier was entered a collar was as useful as a chocolate ashtray,the olde lads worked these spots for many generations,the majority of modern terrierfolk pass them by,losing a terrier is something olde and new often have in common.

• Like 1

Many a place a terrier was entered a collar was as useful as a chocolate ashtray,the olde lads worked these spots for many generations,the majority of modern terrierfolk pass them by,losing a terrier is something olde and new often have in common.
a collar is always a benefit and never a hindrance. Many deads cant be prevented by reducing the time taken to find a dog, or even having the ability to find it at all, as there are many places that you cant find without a collar.

Maybe be mate. But these knobheads tended to have a real knowlege of what they entering the dog into. Through maybe trail an error. Season after season. When foxes where to ground it harsh frosty winters. Id say them old knobheads had good knowledge of there earths. As said before a crafted art form. For each man on whatever land he walks. Knowing your land

I know what era id rather of worked a dog...and it is not the present

Edited by Farmhand66

a collar is always a benefit and never a hindrance. Many deads cant be prevented by reducing the time taken to find a dog, or even having the ability to find it at all, as there are many places that you cant find without a collar.

A collar is the salvation of average terriers and folk that work them,its also the main implement in any honest working kennel now,any terrier man without one is a nugget,yet they are futile in many a place a terrier needs to enter,the facts are that the majority of our elders still worked these places many find to be unworkable now.

• Like 3

Maybe be mate. But these knobheads tended to have a real knowlege of what they entering the dog into. Through maybe trail an error. Season after season. When foxes where to ground it harsh frosty winters. Id say them old knobheads had good knowledge of there earths. As said before a crafted art form. For each man on whatever land he walks. Knowing your land

why would a collar make you less knowledgeable of the earths you work, a collar lets you follow the tubes and know the exact depth.
  • Like 1

why would a collar make you less knowledgeable of the earths you work, a collar lets you follow the tubes and know the exact depth.
Did not state a collar makes you less Knowlegable

I was stating, there where alot less rilfes, colder winters. And id say alot more foxes to ground that the old men would of had a chance to have good idea of what they were digging to after trail an error. Am sure they dropped holes to stop ends where you drop now. Collarless.

But clearly. No man with terrier would walk holes with earth dogs. Without collars in this day an age. The tech is there and its worth the investment thanks

Edited by Farmhand66

Being perfectly honest and perhaps my dogs are poorer for it but if a place looks dodgey i aint putting a dog in .Call me picky if you like but the lives of mine are worth more than any mans ego .

The facts are that we may have that luxury to pick and choose now,a dog that could work locations like that was commonplace in the past yet is like hens teeth now,terriers and their owners where at hand to deal with such situations in the past,they rarely are now,thus the age of the working terrier and owner is far poorer for it now.Ive just retired a red bitch that could be entered anywhere,after a few near misses in the last few years im reluctant to enter terriers in the same places as we,ve had to many nearly episodes,yet my sapling will learn or be lost,my lad refuses to take the chance with his,until you do its impossible to find the mutts level.

• Like 3