Old Timers

I think a lot of it is talk with them people blaise, you're dog getting badly smashed, what's the point in that all the time, when you can have something steady and alot more digs, unnecessary fiighing isn't my thing but each to their own. But I wouldn't have soft dogs either,

• Like 3

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i am now a lot older than the men i classed as old timers when i started , many of the big names around my area where poor terriermen , the only good thing about some was they could use a spade ! i we

Im surprised and sad at the old diggers getting knocked,especially by some older lads on here.I started digging in 1967 with hairy arse Country men some were my own family.These old timers were no foo

I've always said it and a lot of lads disagree with me, but, there's a better stamp of terrier and a better stamp of terrierman now than in the past. Plus, most of the laws we have now restricting te

Posted Images

Is it not the case that most of these old timers didn't have locaters available to them were they even invented then and if they were they probably wouldn't be arsed paying for one out of pure stubborness.

The reason nobody had them was they were not invented.Are you serious with that statement they would not buy them from pure stubbornness?Do you think that the generation that went before you were stupid people.They survived and reared familys in much harder times than now,they had very few cars,they walked or rode bicycles,they ploughed with horses,they lived of the land,they done hard manual labour,they worked for a pittance.THEY SURVIVED because they were intelligent people.

Hold up there now Mr. Delaney I never said those people were stupid and never implied that either ok. Your on abou old timers I take it your talking bou the 50's 60's maybe 70's pre locater days I'm sure most of it as for me saying they probably wouldn't buy out of pure stubborness that was meant as a bit of banter that's all. Don't try twist I said.

• Like 1

I once had a mark of 23.4 Metres, collar or not she was on her own !

Im not saying you are talkin shit dilly but do you think the collar was playing up? 76foot is deep iv sunk storm drain shafts shallower than that and its not easy goin with a machine never mind animal

What type do you favour Blaise , breed wise . Have you lost many to ground.

As FD said wind can be a problem , but the jacket will sort that out an cap on the ground for the nettles.

Embankments have caused me problems in the past and though I've lost dogs, it's never been because of no collar.

Back in the day watched old boys use a metal pigeon corn bin with the bottom out. Always keeping the chest in whilst tunnelling into a steep bank .Dangled by my feet many times as a kid to check direction of the terrier.

They only kept Russell's too, reckoned fell types were to bold for the big boys .

• Like 4

I remember 1 day years ago while out ferreting with a couple of mates.We were about half a mile away from a local radio station and had just started to do a nice clean bank with a few nice holes in it.We worked our way up along the bank picking up a few rabbits on the way[all bolters].We then seen at least a dozen rabbits run into a big burrow in the middle of the field,no problem as a few days earlier we had between us purchased a locater and collar,old knocker box.We entered 2 ferrets in this place at different spots and had a long net set around the burrow.Well after what seemed an age 1 rabbit bolted and that was it so after another 10-15 minutes it was decided time to use the new locator.We only had the 1 collar and it was on a huge yellow buck ferret that would take no prisoners if they did not bolt.Knocker box on and too our disbelief the only sound we could pick up was the f***ing birdy song,lolwe just looked at each other and nearly pissed ourselves laughing,after a couple of minutes another rabbit bolted with both ferrets coming up on the sod after it,1st and only time it happened,we reckon it was picking up the radio station as everytime we turned it on while walking down the field heading for the car it was either music or scraping that was heard on it.

• Like 5

Im not saying you are talkin shit dilly but do you think the collar was playing up? 76foot is deep iv sunk storm drain shafts shallower than that and its not easy goin with a machine never mind animal

I can take you to the place tomorrow, it's not to far, three Bellman's on the bank all said the same, safe to say I shat my pants

I never dug it either, never even started, the bitch hit a fox net and every able bodied man on the bank swooped on her. The huntsman of the day said "put her back quickly, you could see the fox was going to bolt" ! Not a chance

Edited by dillydog
  • Like 5

Like i say dilly im not saying you are bull shitting, iv nerer dug to a dog any deeper than 14ft my mate has had a few in low 20s. Iv done plenty excavation work, deep drainsge and tunneling work and that depth is some going. How did you get the dog back

• Like 1

I just said, she was running about and showed at a net but luckily for me she got caught herself. She was trying to get back in when we all slid down the bank and grabbed her.

I don't care if you believe me or not mate, it won't change the facts.

The offers there, I'll take you there and show you the place

Hard foxes .Not seen a fox yet that can't be dug mate .

sounds great, but it something that isn't true in the world of hunting, suppose it depends on what you've seen, been, done or experienced and above all, if You tell the truth
  • Like 1

Like what about when tubes are tight and a dog can't get to it and a clever experienced fox slipps out, did you dig them one's, or the Fox like, above, can run around in a massive undiggable place, with just tubes everywhere or even smaller places where you didn't have patience or Neil Clooney to slip another dog in, when you wasn't there, or looking?

• Like 1