First Season

Each to there own, lads just go out to work there dogs as that's what there bred for if your young dogs of the mark and doing well good on you, the 2nd season is most definitely the desider of the dogs future, if it doesn't work out then it's not the end of the world u pick yourself up and move forward as long as lads like us out there doing what we do. people are just intrigued on how others dogs are doing, lads work there dogs different, not all people treat working there dogs as a full time job just what they have been brought up to do and enjoying it it's not a competition

Edited by bigfellap
  • Like 6

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

this is my bitch tink only had 7 goes to her she got her nose split in half fist time out , made her careful she is in no way a hard bitch and for many she is a little to careful a good foot away when

2 of mine in their 1st season, 20 month old now, they're not related (10 days between them). Dog on the left & bitch on the right both have had a couple of digs & 1 bolt each, the dog was str

My firs season dog on 14 digs so far lol

Posted Images

I reckon the 2nd season is the tester for a terrier when a lot more difficult places are put in front of it and a lot more work,see how many will still be about end of 2nd season.

True, true, and when you have youngsters coming up to their first season that's when you have the Jitterbugs

Will they, won't they ????????????

You forgive them for their inexperience and praise them for everything they do correctly and I wont bullshit you, I often had an extra pint that night when a pup did well.

Second season ???

That's when they start to earn the two years of feeding, rent and cleaning up after them. It's also time for them to do their parents proud.

BUT, when you work with the same bloodlines all the time IMO you should see what you want to see in the first season.

If you don't, then you might have to breed again, but down a different lane

1st season is only a learning process for a young terrier with keep it simple and winning places so you are not really going to see what the terrier is until you start to up the work load.I same as you Neil have seen terriers into there 3-4th seasons say thats enough and throw in the towel,its all down to the work load thats put in front of them and known when to ease of a bit.

• Like 2

I reckon the 2nd season is the tester for a terrier when a lot more difficult places are put in front of it and a lot more work,see how many will still be about end of 2nd season.

True, true, and when you have youngsters coming up to their first season that's when you have the Jitterbugs

Will they, won't they ????????????

You forgive them for their inexperience and praise them for everything they do correctly and I wont bullshit you, I often had an extra pint that night when a pup did well.

Second season ???

That's when they start to earn the two years of feeding, rent and cleaning up after them. It's also time for them to do their parents proud.

BUT, when you work with the same bloodlines all the time IMO you should see what you want to see in the first season.

If you don't, then you might have to breed again, but down a different lane

1st season is only a learning process for a young terrier with keep it simple and winning places so you are not really going to see what the terrier is until you start to up the work load.I same as you Neil have seen terriers into there 3-4th seasons say thats enough and throw in the towel,its all down to the work load thats put in front of them and known when to ease of a bit.

Correct, I've always said that when you see a terrier still working to a high standard at 6, 7 ,8 years of age it's usually down to two things.

Good breeding being handled by a good terrierman.

Anyone can stop them at a couple of years old.

• Like 5

Taking into account they are not K.I.A its always backup to have young ones coming on. First season will tell you alot about your terrier but far from the truth if you want to find out and throw the terrier plenty in his first season but he could be spoiled. (Patience)

• Like 1

Taking into account they are not K.I.A its always backup to have young ones coming on. First season will tell you alot about your terrier but far from the truth if you want to find out and throw the terrier plenty in his first season but he could be spoiled. (Patience)

You'd better believe it regarding young ones coming on.

I've been spoilt the last few years and it's left me with a kennel of old reliable's but nothing young coming on and now I'm waiting nearly two years for a couple of bitches to break down. Hope I'm not in trouble.

Good bitches are like good women, you're better off looking AT them than looking FOR them.

Plus they're very rare, :laugh::laugh::tongue2::tongue2: .

• Like 7

I had 2 3rd season bitchs this season that had a good amount of work put there way as did there litter sister and brother and all have showed they are up for it and been dug in some difficult places and some very easy places but they seen plenty with little or no hic-ups.I have also a 10 month old bitch of same breeding [sire-dam] both the same but wont know anything about her until next season only that the breeding is there but looking forward to seeing how she turns out.

• Like 3

If she showing no interest then myself I would be patient, if it had a go and was in and out or came away when digging to it, then hard to say,could be a few different factors without seeing/knowing the dog hard to say imo,I could live with a slow starter but not cowardice in a terrier,then I would be pts.everyone has different standards seen people make silly choices when in company and then live to regret it afterwards.atb dc

• Like 5

Good advice Dc. Sometimes it takes some terriers a bit longer to put it all together. No way should cowardice be tolerated. when a terrier meets the sharp end and mixes they should never come away from their work. I would give them a 2or 3 chances but that would be it.

• Like 3

First season, who's to know what the next one will be like, obviously if it's going well and you have your own thoughts and maybe not given it to much and not like some to little, give it a easy life, or how much you work your dogs and what way or who you rely on.but the quarry can decide that dogs future or the man acting the bollix, as for places you should well have your own idea, of how he works. Some I've seen have not let them selves down, met serious game, and done two, three seasons. Another different one, breeding in it, foxes not a problem, but second season,came off when stuff was getting to much a bit, even though it was still keen, the dog got worse with traits, wasting time, and your own time.

• Like 1