Last Deep Coalmine.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet but today was a historic day with the last coalmine in England being closed down. I'm sure a few on here worked in the pits before. My father was a hewer in Ashington then in Bates' pit in Blyth and my mothers father was a propper and packer starting work at 14 years old. I avoided working in the mines myself but among my childhood memories are the smell of sulphurous smouldering pitheaps, catching toads in yellow streams and the smell of the puffers shunting coals to the staithes to load into ships.

I don't regret the passing of the mines but I'm sitting here having a glass and silently toasting all those who sweated underground to make Britain what it is (or was?). The industrial revolution was fuelled by coal and although cleaner fuels may be needed now the country was built on coal so keep a fond memory of those who won it. :hmm:

Anyone else used to go feed the pit ponies in summer when they got a little time above ground? My Grandad used to take me with a bag of bread crusts. It gave me a lifelong love of horses, even though one of the b*****ds bit my arm. Me Grandma went mad at him.

Edited by Maximus Ferret
  • Like 8

My dad's from a mining town, most of his family were miners...............he told me he done one day down the mine & thought " f**k that!" & joined the army instead...;-) Then got into construction & travelled the world....lucky escape I'd say...:-)

• Like 3

They interviewed a couple of lifers coming up of the last shift on the radio one old boys father helped sink the shaft and the old boy was working till February to cap the shaft.... very sad ..One thing he said that I liked and never heard before was we are a island of coal surrounded by fish and that's what made us great.

Edited by kanny
  • Like 2

I heard on radio five this morning they tried interveiwing men just getting off the cage after doing the last night shift and one effing and blinding about the situation were they cut him off he was understandably mad about the closure and loss of his job.I can honestly say i never regreted going down the pit as the comradary and freindship was second to non and something that will stick with me till my dieing day

Edited by tatsblisters
  • Like 4

its sad my family on my mothers side were all colliers , in n/wales .but the industry has been in decline for many years they were all deep mine colliers at hafod , bersham .gesford ,pont of ayr. ..ive seen powerfull men reduced to tears , when they closed it was not just a job it was a way of life. . very sad !!!.

• Like 1

Sadly one Portuguese football manager losing his job with a £10m pay out generates more headlines than the 450 blokes losing theirs

Yep, that an a stars wars film. Shows what dribble most of the nation consider "news".

Sad day for men that put their lives on the line everytime they dropped down the shaft. The company that wound it up were still taking on second and third generation lads up to 2 years ago claiming there was a future,the liars knew full well the job was fooked

• Like 2

I heard on radio five this morning they tried interveiwing men just getting off the cage after doing the last night shift and one effing and blinding about the situation were they cut him off he was understandably mad about the closure and loss of his job.I can honestly say i never regreted going down the pit as the comradary and freindship was second to non and something that will stick with me till my dieing day

I would be effing n jeffing aswell they didn't even get all there redundancy money a good mates dad was there 30 years and did his last day yesterday

• Like 1

My old man was a miner till they shut round here, worked at goldborne then parsonage which I think was the deepest mine in europe? 2 mile shaft I think imagine that!

He says it was tough work especially double shifts on certain seems that were only 30 inch high, imagine 13hrs in a 30 inch tunnel. Says hed do it all again though for the camarardarie and characters. I remember him working there I was about 10 when they shut.

• Like 1

Sadly one Portuguese football manager losing his job with a £10m pay out generates more headlines than the 450 blokes losing theirs

Yep, that an a stars wars film. Shows what dribble most of the nation consider "news".

Sad day for men that put their lives on the line everytime they dropped down the shaft. The company that wound it up were still taking on second and third generation lads up to 2 years ago claiming there was a future,the liars knew full well the job was fooked

Maybe due to the falling price of coal, it was not economically viable to stay open.

Without the gift of seeing into the future, two years ago they were no doubt hoping prices would go up instead of down.

I doubt the managers and owners of the mine want to see there income from mining disappear either?

A couple of my mates and their fathers and grandfathers before them worked down the pits. The area im from was a big mining comunity parkside, bold ,sutton manor all close to one another. i work with some ex miners now who worked at parkside and parsonage they still talk of characters, comaraderie and friendships they made and still have.

• Like 2