Deer Species

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The test with the larger deer was never the catching but the stopping.... Just because your dog makes contact doesn't mean you have them in the bag.

Roe could be explosive,fast to reach top speed but many were just plain stupid and were easy pickings to a half handy dog,they had a good sharp short burst of speed then the gas started to run out,Fal

All I ever used and saw ran was salukis and saluki crosses, so can't comment on how the compare to other crosses, but they did the job bang on for us, and the curious thing was they all seemed to fin

in my experience, a fallow buck is incredibly strong and would take some stopping, but a roe would generally outrun one especially over distance. like the man said though, a muntjac in cover eally takes some catching. never ran reds or sika. water deer turn a bit but arent that difficult, although the odd one runs like a rocket; these would generally be 3/4 grown youngsters which weren ttoo heavy as some adults get on winter crops. but if you ever ran a water deer on swampy or boggy land, or standing water it is a different animal and is really hard for a dog to get up to

• Like 1

In my experience one of the hardest deer to catch is a fecking ninja muntjac in the woods!

Fallow bucks are strong.

Roe are agile.

Both seem about as fast as each other in the open.

im with your there buddy. them little buggers used to spring through cover like it wasn't there!!