Anyone Know Much About Bullmastiffs?

A good American Bulldog should be a good guardian and be able to do an honest days work in the field.

That's the thing SHOULD unfortunately many have problems ranging from nervousness to over aggressiveness and don't get me started on the nemerous physical and health problems that seem to be becoming more and more common with them.

Any big breed that gets popular suffers this,I thought the split between performance bred ones and the big show ones might have helped.

The problem is perforce is just a word.Hardly anyone are out performing any task with them.Most just call them working lines because of a few legendary names 6 generations back on a pedigree that half the time was fabricated by some crooked old hillbilly dog dealer that made legendary status off the back of selling hundreds of pups.Thats why I got sick of the breed as you couldn't find dogs with a pedigree that wasn't full of pets or dogs that were nothing more than puppy machines.Wheras with the what I call traditional bandogs there seems to be a good little collective that are testing each generation of dogs before breeding take place rather than just breeding to a dog because it's grandad was hillbilly freds hog slayer.
  • Like 1

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hmm I wouldn't say straight bull mastiff myself, she's got the markings, but her head looks boxer like?!? That said, I'm not all that clued up on these breeds. Nice bitch nonetheless

The group of lads I train with try to put our dogs under different types of mental stress and pressure whilst doing protection work ie smoke bombs,chainsaws/leaf blowers revved in their faces,working

We've got a couple of venues that we use but my favourite is a disused nightclub in East London where our main decoy sometimes does night security to stop people getting in and squatting as this ha

A good American Bulldog should be a good guardian and be able to do an honest days work in the field.

That's the thing SHOULD unfortunately many have problems ranging from nervousness to over aggressiveness and don't get me started on the nemerous physical and health problems that seem to be becoming more and more common with them.

Any big breed that gets popular suffers this,I thought the split between performance bred ones and the big show ones might have helped.

The problem is perforce is just a word.Hardly anyone are out performing any task with them.Most just call them working lines because of a few legendary names 6 generations back on a pedigree that half the time was fabricated by some crooked old hillbilly dog dealer that made legendary status off the back of selling hundreds of pups.Thats why I got sick of the breed as you couldn't find dogs with a pedigree that wasn't full of pets or dogs that were nothing more than puppy machines.Wheras with the what I call traditional bandogs there seems to be a good little collective that are testing each generation of dogs before breeding take place rather than just breeding to a dog because it's grandad was hillbilly freds hog slayer.

Exactly how I feel about all purebred mastiff types these days :yes: don't think I'll ever own another pure mastiff of any breed, bandogs from tested stock is the only way for me.

• Like 1

Exactly how I feel about all purebred mastiff types these days :yes: don't think I'll ever own another pure mastiff of any breed, bandogs from tested stock is the only way for me.

Sorry chief me again its that old curiosity again :D .....what exactly is " tested " in Bandog circles ?

• Like 2

Sorry chief me again its that old curiosity again :D .....what exactly is " tested " in Bandog circles ?

Personally I'd want the parents of any pup I got to of actually been working as patrol/yard dogs and to of been tested/trained using realistic scenarios (that's where you get someone you don't like much to put a suit on and try and break in to your yard :D) putting them under real pressure to see if they'll break. Even better if they've actually dealt with a real life situation before, sourced a pup for a pal a while back and we got to see CCTV of the sire chasing down and holding an actual intruder :laugh:

• Like 1

Its clear most american bulldogs have gone to shit just by the amount of adverts for pups which cost less than a good weekend. Guess its down to the breed becoming popular and people having more of a passion for money than the breed. Another thing with guard breeds is so many adverts say stuff like great guard when it probably barks n may grab a sleeve. Not to sure about the sleeve stuff either lol some dogs seem to go mental more for the sleeve itself than the bloke whos acting a threat. I dont know sod all about guard dogs or anything but just how it seems at times.

Just wondering as well if anyone knows the law regarding guard dogs. Say your with your dog on lead and it kicks off n the dog bites. Where do you stand? I know there will probably be the attitude of f**k em. Id feel guilty n would rather get jumped by a few blokes than a dog ive bonded with loosing its life for doing what it thinks is right. I just mean all these dogs and different breeds but really are you actually able to use em?

The group of lads I train with try to put our dogs under different types of mental stress and pressure whilst doing protection work ie smoke bombs,chainsaws/leaf blowers revved in their faces,working on unstable surfaces.strobes just to give you an idea.As well as being put under physical and mental pressure by professional Decoys.A lot of people think a decoy just puts a sleeve or suit on and gets bitten but I've seen good decoys make dogs crumple just by approaching a dog a certain way.Then as well as the protection and environmental stuff we then expect them to switch off and act calm and social amongst a cow of people bumping them with baby prams,crowding them,opening a umbrella in their face etc all without reacting scared or aggressive.Plus they are expected to act calm in non threatening situations at all times.Thats nowhere near everything we do but hopefully it gives you a bit of an idea.It might not sound much but you'd be very surprised how many so called great protection/guard dogs I've seen completely shut down or go the opposite way and just want to do anyone who they can get at both of which are completely useless.
  • Like 4

The group of lads I train with try to put our dogs under different types of mental stress and pressure whilst doing protection work ie smoke bombs,chainsaws/leaf blowers revved in their faces,working on unstable surfaces.strobes just to give you an idea.As well as being put under physical and mental pressure by professional Decoys.A lot of people think a decoy just puts a sleeve or suit on and gets bitten but I've seen good decoys make dogs crumple just by approaching a dog a certain way.Then as well as the protection and environmental stuff we then expect them to switch off and act calm and social amongst a cow of people bumping them with baby prams,crowding them,opening a umbrella in their face etc all without reacting scared or aggressive.Plus they are expected to act calm in non threatening situations at all times.Thats nowhere near everything we do but hopefully it gives you a bit of an idea.It might not sound much but you'd be very surprised how many so called great protection/guard dogs I've seen completely shut down or go the opposite way and just want to do anyone who they can get at both of which are completely useless.

where do you train your dogs mate?

That's my kind of training :thumbs: sounds like you've got a good group of lads to work with

We've got a couple of venues that we use but my favourite is a disused nightclub in East London where our main decoy sometimes does night security to stop people getting in and squatting as this has happened in the past once by eastern Europeans who put massive grow on in one of the cellars and another time buyers new age hippies who were doing illegal raves in there.Both times the council hired the company he works for to do the evictions.Its a fantastic venue for us as it has numerous cellars,corridors.Staircasses and other dark little rooms that go under the adjoining railway lines.Some of the mental scenarios we set up in their really test the dogs nerves as we can put them in so many situations that they've never come across.When I first went there I was shocked to see professional security dog hitting the deck and crawling around on their bellys just coming into the building I've even seen dogs having to be dragged through the door.Theres something about the building that just puts dogs on edge.

• Like 3

My last AB was a half sister to his Ranger dog.His pressa is beast and his Dutch herder is off the scale.but even he would tell you that their not the sort of dogs you could have in a family environment.They are perfect for the type of jobs he takes on but even he admits his life with them is very stressful.He was laughing yesterday because one minute my young bitch was doing back flips for a bite.Then 5 minutes later she was fast asleep in her cage with the tailgate of my motor open whilst 3 shepherds were going bonkers 10ft from her.Then 10 minutes later I had her in a down position inches from a dog that was trying to attack her while he was dealing with its dog aggression problem.Thats what I consider a proper bandog temperament.

• Like 1

Only skimmed thread as forums playing up on me iPad, sorry if it's been said but anyone remember the pic of a pit x mastiff that was in cmw or was it the mastiff big game hunter book ,that they said looked like the old boar hunting seizer dogs,looked a healthy specimen ,

Also we have had a rotty ,Alsatian and couple of American Bulldogs from pups and all were trusted around kids,never left on their own with them mind,but we could relax .

If I had to shut away a dog from kids I'd have it pts ,as doors can get undone etc and there's enough stress without worrying a dog and kid could meet.

• Like 1

My last AB was a half sister to his Ranger dog.His pressa is beast and his Dutch herder is off the scale.but even he would tell you that their not the sort of dogs you could have in a family environment.They are perfect for the type of jobs he takes on but even he admits his life with them is very stressful.He was laughing yesterday because one minute my young bitch was doing back flips for a bite.Then 5 minutes later she was fast asleep in her cage with the tailgate of my motor open whilst 3 shepherds were going bonkers 10ft from her.Then 10 minutes later I had her in a down position inches from a dog that was trying to attack her while he was dealing with its dog aggression problem.Thats what I consider a proper bandog temperament.

was tug the sire to your ab mate?