Further Update On New Lurcher Association

That's the other club ...

Which 1 is everyone supporting

There is only one.

So whats the AWL that AT is involved in and has written an article about in the CMW

Oh feck, must have missed this one along the way... AT, why didn't you tell me you were in ANOTHER club and you write for the CW too...??? !!!
Think he means Alan Tyer lol

All Terrain would write better.... ;)

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Call it sad if you like. . . . . . but to me, that just sounds like the defence of someone who doesn't like constructive criticism! These kind of bodies NEED to be questioned, so that answers can be f

I get it now... I think!! 2 groups, 1 new 1 old.. That can't get along and work as one for whatever the reasons may be?? ( perhaps we've ran out of acronyms ??)...So now the lurcher owners decide who

This younger generation (and they're not all young either) see what they do as a form of rebellion, or they're just that thick that they don't realise the implications of of what the do and say. They

Posted Images

Remember the Kevin Costner film 'Field of Dreams'? The quote in that was "Build it and they will come."

For me it should be like that film for this undertaking and this is why...

Forgive me Barrie if I use the Federation and i'm not accurate with my recolections but it's how I seen it all around me...

Back in the 80's terrier work was seriously under the cosh, media sensations like the Cook Report and others had seen the once respected undertaking fast become the most vile thing a man could do!

At that time, lets not shy away from it, terrier work was suffering badly from the elements within.

And then i remember attending country fairs, shows and the working dog man's mag the Shooting News and ALL were promoting a tiny fold up card that read 'Rules for the Terrierman', or words to that effect...

It was available, FREE, tiny but if only out of curiosity you picked it up and read it.... It was a code, the rules, where i and others who read it KNEW where they stood. Now, whether or not you played by that code, everyone got it, either picked it up and read it or, as i and almost everyone i knew, took and kept it (In the loft i still have it!).

At shows and through clubs, it was given out, talked about, both old and young.

So they knew, I knew, were the lines where and lets not forget, it was a long time ago and we were much younger then!

That code both helped with the guilt made by some and educated the uneducated.

It was only much later that i realised who set that code and more importantly, how it made people more aware, on both sides of the fence... Barrie, i take my hat off to you Sir and the NWTF for ALL you have done.

So now with the onslaught of the internet, social media and mass media, this time it's time for a federation for working lurchers. We are under the cosh now more than ever. So build it, put it out there, set a fecking code and no matter what you do in 'real life' promote it and tell the world you live by it, because it will only help, it should only be positive..!

Build it, and they will come....

I also believe that the NWTF need a new promotion drive as they are a generation away from the card BUT thats another debate.

A very good post. And I quite agree.

If you wanted to achieve similar now, I would say that as great as an article in a fieldsports publication is for targeting a certain section of society, in order to target the young folk we are talking about, a social media savvy approach would be best. You will get far more success via you tube, Facebook and twitter than any other way. It is a means to get to any kid anywhere, and promote your message 24/7. . . . wherever they are. But it needs doing well.

Absolutley Jai, I'll be honest, how to get it out there... Well, plenty will know more than me but out there and promoted it needs to be!

We need to be respectable again to save us. Need to let every last one of us know there is a code made by a 'governing' body and you could break it with your actions and thereby letting 'none hunters' know we know...

If i was to talk personally, what i do with my dogs would be my business but if i work em outside that code, then that is my problem, my responsibility and i would have to stand by my actions in a court of law, because i know the code and i'd continue to respect that code because, in theory it should keep us hunting!

IMO it was that what made the difference with terrierwork all those years ago!

Like it or not, a code and a stand-up governing body (if that is the right name) could keep us hunting BUT if you fence-hop thats YOUR call... The bigger picture is hunting with lurchers, never lose sight of that! ;)

Remember the Kevin Costner film 'Field of Dreams'? The quote in that was "Build it and they will come."

Forgive me Barrie if I use the Federation and i'm not accurate with my recolections but it's how I seen it all around me...

Back in the 80's terrier work was seriously under the cosh, media sensations like the Cook Report and others had seen the once respected undertaking fast become the most vile thing a man could do!

At that time, lets not shy away from it, terrier work was suffering badly from the elements within.

And then i remember attending country fairs, shows and the working dog man's mag the Shooting News and ALL were promoting a tiny fold up card that read 'Rules for the Terrierman', or words to that effect...

It was available, FREE, tiny but if only out of curiosity you picked it up and read it.... It was a code, the rules, where i and others who read it KNEW where they stood. Now, whether or not you played by that code, everyone got it, either picked it up and read it or, as i and almost everyone i knew, took and kept it (In the loft i still have it!).

So they knew, I knew, were the lines where and lets not forget, it was a long time ago and we were much younger then!

It was only much later that i realised who set that code and more importantly, how it made people more aware, on both sides of the fence... Barrie, i take my hat off to you Sir and the NWTF for ALL you have done.

So now with the onslaught of the internet, social media and mass media, this time it's time for a federation for working lurchers. We are under the cosh now more than ever. So build it, put it out there, set a fecking code and no matter what you do in 'real life' promote it and tell the world you live by it, because it will only help, it should only be positive..!

I also believe that the NWTF need a new promotion drive as they are a generation away from the card BUT thats another debate.

A very good post. And I quite agree.

If you wanted to achieve similar now, I would say that as great as an article in a fieldsports publication is for targeting a certain section of society, in order to target the young folk we are talking about, a social media savvy approach would be best. You will get far more success via you tube, Facebook and twitter than any other way. It is a means to get to any kid anywhere, and promote your message 24/7. . . . wherever they are. But it needs doing well.

Absolutley Jai, I'll be honest, how to get it out there... Well, plenty will know more than me but out there and promoted it needs to be!

We need to be respectable again to save us. Need to let every last one of us know there is a code made by a 'governing' body and you could break it with your actions and thereby letting 'none hunters' know we know...

If i was to talk personally, what i do with my dogs would be my business but if i work em outside that code, then that is my problem, my responsibility and i would have to stand by my actions in a court of law, because i know the code and i'd continue to respect that code because, in theory it should keep us hunting!

IMO it was that what made the difference with terrierwork all those years ago!

Like it or not, a code and a stand-up governing body (if that is the right name) could keep us hunting BUT if you fence-hop thats YOUR call... The bigger picture is hunting with lurchers, never lose sight of that! ;)

Absolutely bang on that :yes:

• Like 1

That's a fair summery Bosun. I'll give you that, and it sounds great in theory. I wish it all the best of luck.

Lets just hope it doesn't go all Animal Farm on us :laugh:

It's just a thought mate, my opinions only.

I'm ok at that, i sort of go at such things with a sword in one hand and a torch in the other... "Wanner go for a ride..." type of attitude... But i'm shite with the finer points..!! Lol ;)

What do you think ???

What's acceptable? ??

This is my own opinion..

There's no excuses for neglect..

Responsible working dog owners should have a first aid kit and have some basic knowledge of animal care..

Individuals should know when things need escalated to a vet..

If you can defend your own actions it's on your own head to do so..

Any wilfull neglect would be a measure of that person & a breach of the law.

Ignorance is no defence in law..

Clubs can't protect anyone.

Your responsible for your own actions..

Edited by Giro
  • Like 8

the hunting ban was introduced . folk said f.. the ban we will carry on. some posting what is now illigal activities mit photos ffs talk about the enemy within!! you just cant educate pork!!!.they will carry on posting pictures in hope there cocks will grow abit .

Yep and its all that side of things the CA will want to distance from. The CA just want to boost there membership to have a bigger voice but dont you forget how currupt most organisations are. The CA will be governed by the highest bidder lol and even then apart from a march at london look how useless they were at preventing the last ban lol

:thumbs: