Why Lurcher Pups Shouldn't Be Worked Hard Until They Are Fully Grown

Interesting, like anything else it's about moderation I suppose. I go out twice a day and on most occasions it is difficult to avoid some action even at the local woods so I have no idea how people can avoid a run until say 18 months. I guess unless they walk the block etc but any pups I have had have mentally and physically needed more than this otherwise they are bouncing off the walls and that's not for me atb

• Like 1

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Sparky didn't get a run until he was about 16 months old. There's some dogs that have had three owners by that age...... :icon_eek:

I like my dogs out early as pups even if not running anything ,getting use to everything from motors to getting through/ over fences / gates, livestock at night , its down to the owner to make sure t

There's more young dogs/pup ruined through mental inury than physical...

Interesting, like anything else it's about moderation I suppose. I go out twice a day and on most occasions it is difficult to avoid some action even at the local woods so I have no idea how people can avoid a run until say 18 months. I guess unless they walk the block etc but any pups I have had have mentally and physically needed more than this otherwise they are bouncing off the walls and that's not for me atb

• Like 2

ive seen pups as young as seven months kill good hares and take no harm, ide be more worried about mentally ruining a pup through overfaceing it than ruining it physically. and a realy young pup will conk out then go again not do himself harm whilst playing. I think some people worry to much. atb two crows.

• Like 2

Me too mine tried accidentally at 7 months and got laid up for 4 months as a result and I wouldn't be surprised if it came back to haunt him in later life. But he has plenty of heart so he will do me regardless. But these things happen unfortunately just got to go with it

So we need to keep telling people about this: keep pushing the information so that more and more owners become aware.

Penny, All you need is a nationally supported platform............

Isnt that part of the proposals being discussed for this association of working lurchers?

So we need to keep telling people about this: keep pushing the information so that more and more owners become aware.

Penny, All you need is a nationally supported platform............

Isnt that part of the proposals being discussed for this association of working lurchers?

quite possibly ;)

There is no right and wrong answer beyond the extreme but common sense is key.

A whippet will finish growth well before a deerhound so will be better able to withstand harder work younger.

A youngster that is fit will stand a lot more work than one that isn't.

How a whelp is raised plays a big part, those raised in litters in big paddocks where they can run and play as much as they like have less injuries than those reared in smaller areas/homes, alone.

Exercise is protective in that it increases bone size and strength with better /stronger muscle attachments but against that sight hound types have been bred to push the dogs physical abilities to the extreme so they can outstrip their abilities whilst still in growth.

Personally i go for lots of controlled exercise to develop a strong structure but avoid too much extreme stuff until the sapling is well formed.

• Like 5

A whippet will finish growth well before a deerhound so will be better able to withstand harder work younger.

How a whelp is raised plays a big part, those raised in litters in big paddocks where they can run and play as much as they like have less injuries than those reared in smaller areas/homes, alone.

Exercise is protective in that it increases bone size and strength with better /stronger muscle attachments but against that sight hound types have been bred to push the dogs physical abilities to the extreme so they can outstrip their abilities whilst still in growth.

Personally i go for lots of controlled exercise to develop a strong structure but avoid too much extreme stuff until the sapling is well formed.

That's half the problem: we have bred certain types of lurchers to have so much drive that mentally they want to do extreme things at a much earlier age than their bodies are capable of.

• Like 1

That's half the problem: we have bred certain types of lurchers to have so much drive that mentally they want to do extreme things at a much earlier age than their bodies are capable of.

Agree,also my take on it is that theres too much emphasise on "high protein this" high protein that" so when a pup/young dog or even an adult dog is bouncing due to being hyped up on protein its giving a false signal to the owner as regards being ready to have an hard nights work or a few hard day time runs,when in reality a pup is most certainly not ready for what I have mentioned and an adult dog thought to be "fit " when its not because their "bouncing with energy" as some would say.