If You Could Go It Alone

Been thinking recently that I'd like to start my own business and work for myself so I've been trying to come up with business ideas with the idea of getting set up to start in 3 years or so but other than it being something outdoors I don't really know what I'd like to do.

So if you could start up a business what would you/did you do?

It'd have to pay the mortgage so full time man whore probably won't cut it!

GaZ

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I suppose it all comes down to what you class as living well........if having "stuff" is what you mean then let me tell you, it's not the be all and end all. Now sure, it's nice to have "stuff".....b

I started up myself just over a year ago I passed my driving and my boss at the time was due me a few pounds and a window rounds 70 customers in a total mess we just went when we had a day of fencing

You and me both matey! I'm determined to invent something and become a millionaire..... only one problem...   One day, probably in my 80s, I'll figure out what I want to do with my life! LOL

I'm a logistics/transport consultant. A lot of the time I drive a truck but I do other things as well. Been trading full time since 2012, less a short spell of 8 months working for a large logistics company. After one too many cataclysmic fallouts with management decided I can/will only work for my self.

I have a few properties and other business interests as well. There is nothing more satisfying than knowing that your efforts will directly effect your own bout line, rather than those of some faceless multinational or an anonymous shareholder.

• Like 1

I like the idea of landscape gardening or doing something creative, I work in oil and gas so I'd have to retrain for whatever I went for really as it's a pretty specific trade. It would be nice to have something physical to show for my efforts as opposed to just keeping motors and pumps running if that makes sense.

It's only day dreaming at the minute as I'm a way off being in a position to take the plunge even if I did know what I wanted to go into.

GaZ

I suppose the obvious is do what you know ;)......so maybe train for a role in your industry that puts you where you want to be.

Then you can do it self employed and get all the benefits (and bills !!) that go with that.

The hardest thing for blokes who have been used to getting a wage every week is the "feast or famine" nature of working for yourself......when it's good it's brilliant, but when you are waiting on 50 or 60 grand to turn up from a firm that may or may not pay you and the bills are piling up......that's when you will know if it's for you or not ;)

It never bothered me cause I didn't know any different having worked for myself since 14 years old (bar 18 months as a kid when I had a proper job......f***ing hated it and that was in oil/gas funny enough !).........I never ever had a regular wage.

Edited by WILF
  • Like 3

When I was a nipper we had a guy that used to visit the local schools and he used to bring the odd animal along. He'd talk to us about natural history, animals and wildlife in general then he'd get maybe a magpie or a falcon out of his van and talk about them, then depending on the time of year, maybe a lamb and off he'd go, telling us all about rearing lambs. I thought "I could do that'. I'd love to do something like that but I'm getting on a bit now so maybe not.

Edited by cragman

The classic saying weve all heard so many times before....find a job you love and never work a day in your life....i see how true it is in the case of my dad. His not had a day off sick in over 12 years and never heard him once talk about jacking it in. Infact he still comes home talks about cases with the same interest and excitment as when he first started.

• Like 2

I suppose the obvious is do what you know ;)......so maybe train for a role in your industry that puts you where you want to be.

Then you can do it self employed and get all the benefits (and bills !!) that go with that.

The hardest thing for blokes who have been used to getting a wage every week is the "feast or famine" nature of working for yourself......when it's good it's brilliant, but when you are waiting on 50 or 60 grand to turn up from a firm that may or may not pay you and the bills are piling up......that's when you will know if it's for you or not ;)

It never bothered me cause I didn't know any different having worked for myself since 14 years old (bar 18 months as a kid when I had a proper job......f***ing hated it and that was in oil/gas funny enough !).........I never ever had a regular wage.

Your right there mate, a lot of people dream of working for themselves until they realise it's a f***ing nightmare at times..

My dad hammered the " famine and feast" line into me from a kid..

Right from me and a mate lugging a ladder and buckets around the estate on our window cleaning round ( £3 a house lol) before we could drive, to now I've been self employed.. I had a short stint in the fishing shop at 17 and loved it but realised it would never make me much money..

At times I've questioned what the f**k am I doing to me and my family, but I couldn't work for someone else.. It is a mind set..

But if your a young man and got a bit of drive about you go for it mate, you'll never know unless you take the plunge...

You might have just missed the boat now, but a decent little coffee shop is a gold mine...nice cash business if you get it right.

Edited by NEWKID
  • Like 3

Little coffee shop and some bud when it all finally does go legal. Look at over in america how much their earning. Trouble is youll have the big money fuckers being able to buy more n sell cheaper. Have to find some sort of uniqueness and make people want to come to yours. Sounds abit of a joke post maybe but think how big the industry is. Wont be for a few years but its bound to happen.