How Far Do You Walk Your Dogs?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's far to warm to be walking dogs in this weather they are better off in their runs whilst I drink cold cider to keep the heat off ... Come to think of it it's to cold in the winter and they are bet

My lurcher will do at least 6 mile a day behind the van on the way to and from work its a 3 mile single track so its pretty safe to run behind and for the rest of the day just trails around with me an

Too the pub and back the walking back Usally takes a lot longer

Posted Images

Why walk em? their not needed for another 3-4 months?

If you don't need them why have you got them. Mine are needed daily and are given the appropriate attention.

it was sarcasm....

If you don't need them why have you got them. Mine are needed daily and are given the appropriate attention.

it was sarcasm....

Wasted on me :laugh: .

Are you's two related?

it was sarcasm....

Wasted on me :laugh: .

Are you's two related?

Well I hope not.... :D

Sometimes its not so much as how far you walk them...But how you walk them.

walking at your own slow steady pace and wandering around aimlessly for a few miles is not as good as a light steady brisk walk where the dog is striding but not jogging/trotting..

for this I prefer the pushbike..but its hard to go slow enough sometimes..

Then when there getting fitter i go longer and speed up and down at certain points etc etc... this time of year its best late at night or very early morning before the sun gets too hot.

attachicon.gifbike.jpg

bloody hell vin, seen bike like that in the Easy Rider movie :laugh: I be doing bike with Buck in mid july - mid august , prob about 20 mile a week, just to open his lungs up a bit . your right on the speed, what to give him is what called the (riding trot) not galloping / not walking just in between the 2 . :thumbs: a month of this and dog ready for bit of lamping, but lamping is the only way really to get them proper fit I reckon :yes:

That ebay bike engine kit is the best £60 i have ever spent..all you need is a bike and the rest come in a kit to fit most bikes. . .It makes my late evening mooches really fun.

But like you say Ray the best way is chasing quarry as soon as the fitness levels are up enough for a few runs.

Every morning i walk my dogs for 5 miles 2 hours before i get up.

Then after breakfast we do 2 miles swimming down the cut.

A brisk 2 mile jog after a light lunch.

10 mile next to the motor mid afternoon to blow away the cobwebs.

Then we round it off with flyball, lure chasing and 2 hours on the slat mill in the evening.

At weekends we do the 3 peaks challenge Saturdays and a Toughmudder Sundays where we can.

And we do this every week religious..! :)

Well said big lad, there was a few of us thinking it and you said it.

I also agree with buster and Nans pat.

I know everyone different but I just don't know how folk find the time......I can walk pretty fast and 6 miles is still two hours whatever way you look at it.

With kids and family and everything else I couldn't find that in my day before I moved here.

Now I am in the middle of nowhere it's ace, the dog can have 3 miles a day beside the quad at a steady 15 to 20 mph and just bat round with me in the at my place in the day.

Today?......nothing !!......it was 20 outside and I left him in the kennel block to eat, get fat and drink water.

• Like 4

I've only got terriers qnd they get walked off lead for.2 hours a day one in the morning when I get home and one in the afternoon when I get up don't know distance but off lead they must cover at least twice as much as me week ends out of season they get twice as much edited to say when I had lurchers they used to get about the same raly

Edited by leethedog

I walk them everyday off the lead if I walk 3 miles the dogs cover about 6/7 easy I track them on their collars and on weekends can do up to easy 8-10 miles with the dogs doing a lot more ! Probably the same in season aswell with lamping added to it and a few ferreting trips !!

My lurcher will do at least 6 mile a day behind the van on the way to and from work its a 3 mile single track so its pretty safe to run behind and for the rest of the day just trails around with me and the sheepdogs while at work and then go for a mooch around some woodlands and stuff after work. All of mine are usually out most of the day because i have the luxury to have them out all the time. Theres not many jobs were you can have 5 or 6 dogs with you all the time so im very lucky in that sense.

• Like 5

Mine are usually out daily other than the odd blip when a few days recover time or rest for myself necessary six mile a stroll ten plus usually with dogs free running ,of course steeped woodland and deep cover far more exerting than a free wheel down the canal maybe twenty on the bike animals with brain can negotiate hot weather and take a dip ta cool ,hard exercise has such gets them right to run em fit for those taking a back seat ingot weather of late good luck there be some of us that need to be on move most if not every day and animals brought up with this kind a regime become same the pacing of my animal ready for the off Cana ignore it would not be right.but of course same goes for the idle animal bed bed and more bed don't no much different rest in ta season off work his necessary for the recharge but even so the glutton recovers quicker and we'll capable of hard graft when prepared from a six week old welp atb bunnys.

• Like 1

The same as wilf just tash about round the old air field in front of my house in the morning , a walk with the other half after school , she'll (Tia) get a couple of runs the night let her burn off some steam and get some rabbits for the pot ?