Best Age To Start

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Leethdog you sound like a young man eager for action like many of us when we started off our life with working terriers. You will need to be patient for your dog’s sake and for your own future enjoyme

started my old dog brock at 10 month old and hes never looked back, 1 of me pups here out of him is the same age and seen a fair bit for her age watching round the holes and rats mooching etc, but she

When their heads matured ..Many want in at an early age Let them mature first..More dogs are fecked through being entered too early

Posted Images

I've had dogs that showed no interest on rats,self entered at 11m old and stayed for 3 hr plus like a seasoned pro.ive also had them go the once and never want it again,pups that have gone to pet homes and come back at 4/5 yr old and given them a few rats they flown to ground.My mate had his dog do nothing for nearly 4 seasons when he got locked up,we were still digging to it at nearly 12yr old.There are no hard and fast rules,it comes down to You to do your best and be able to read the signs,good or bad.Can have the best breeding and be dirt.I personally won't write one of my own off until over 3 yr old,cocks have laughed at me in the past-they the folk that's kennels chop and change all season.never see them with the dog/dogs they started season with.we all know a few,lol,atb

• Like 2

I think starting terriers properly is the hardest thing to learn. Especially with all the things one can learn on the net and from other guys. Somebody asked how you know if a particular dog wouldn't have quit later anyway if started at an older age. They might have. But we know the odds are better for a dog that is mature. Myself by way of much trial and error in starting dogs.

I eventually learned to listen to wiser men and start my dogs between 15 and 18 months. With the jagds it is also very different than Patterdales I have had. The bitches I have now didn't hardly want to start at 18 months. By two though, I've got good little hunting dogs.

• Like 2

I think starting terriers properly is the hardest thing to learn. Especially with all the things one can learn on the net and from other guys. Somebody asked how you know if a particular dog wouldn't have quit later anyway if started at an older age. They might have. But we know the odds are better for a dog that is mature. Myself by way of much trial and error in starting dogs.

I eventually learned to listen to wiser men and start my dogs between 15 and 18 months. With the jagds it is also very different than Patterdales I have had. The bitches I have now didn't hardly want to start at 18 months. By two though, I've got good little hunting dogs.

How is your patt pup coming on Mosby,must be year old or so now.

i put mine at rats first bot 6mths,then have them about the holes give them an oul look when we break through,usualy works.

that is exactly what I mean my black dog was killing rats confidently at 6 months

Leethdog you sound like a young man eager for action like many of us when we started off our life with working terriers. You will need to be patient for your dog’s sake and for your own future enjoyment of watching them hopefully develop into a worker that will make you proud. Some terriermen never learn such patient’s and consistently ruin pups and are constantly cribbing about poor dogs from poor lines and also chopping and changing their kennel. These same men rarely have consistent stock.

A simple comparison I have gleaned from listening to men at this game a lot longer than most is as follows:

A 6 month old terrier is like an 11 year old boy. Both physically and mentally under developed. You would not think of putting a boy in a sparring match with a grown man.

A 12 month terrier is like a 16-18 year old boy. Getting better physically and some develop earlier than others, but still definitely mentally under developed. Full of gusto but “most” lacking even though they don’t know it. There are gems that pop up from time to time like a Mike Tyson that turned Pro at 18 and was a champion at 20 but these are few and far between.

A 16-18 month old terrier is like becoming a man at 21-24. Finally physically developed (although still filling out) and getting more rounded mentally to take on a proper challenge and battle a serious opponent. A handy amateur match of 3 rounds rather than a 12 round slugging contest is best as after a 12 rounder the young man may think this game is not for him after the years of training put into him by mentors and decides to jack on the spot.

Take a photo of your pup at 12 months, 16 months and 2 years old in the same place and you will notice from the photos it is a totally different animal and again inside their head they are more able to deal with what life throws at them. You would be surprised at the physical difference.

Many of us when younger had dogs with plenty of ability, eagerness and fire in the belly and I for one would take a different route now than I did with some back then. One thing to remember is that if “YOU” rush them and they are over matched and jack, then once they jack once it is also in them to jack again and again………….

Good things come to those who wait. Take your time and mind your pups until they are “ready” and “able”. As mentioned, keep them winning.

That is just my own personal take on it.

• Like 12

i put mine at rats first bot 6mths,then have them about the holes give them an oul look when we break through,usualy works.

that is exactly what I mean my black dog was killing rats confidently at 6 months

Leethdog you sound like a young man eager for action like many of us when we started off our life with working terriers. You will need to be patient for your dog’s sake and for your own future enjoyment of watching them hopefully develop into a worker that will make you proud. Some terriermen never learn such patient’s and consistently ruin pups and are constantly cribbing about poor dogs from poor lines and also chopping and changing their kennel. These same men rarely have consistent stock.

A simple comparison I have gleaned from listening to men at this game a lot longer than most is as follows:

A 6 month old terrier is like an 11 year old boy. Both physically and mentally under developed. You would not think of putting a boy in a sparring match with a grown man.

A 12 month terrier is like a 16-18 year old boy. Getting better physically and some develop earlier than others, but still definitely mentally under developed. Full of gusto but “most” lacking even though they don’t know it. There are gems that pop up from time to time like a Mike Tyson that turned Pro at 18 and was a champion at 20 but these are few and far between.

A 16-18 month old terrier is like becoming a man at 21-24. Finally physically developed (although still filling out) and getting more rounded mentally to take on a proper challenge and battle a serious opponent. A handy amateur match of 3 rounds rather than a 12 round slugging contest is best as after a 12 rounder the young man may think this game is not for him after the years of training put into him by mentors and decides to jack on the spot.

Take a photo of your pup at 12 months, 16 months and 2 years old in the same place and you will notice from the photos it is a totally different animal and again inside their head they are more able to deal with what life throws at them. You would be surprised at the physical difference.

Many of us when younger had dogs with plenty of ability, eagerness and fire in the belly and I for one would take a different route now than I did with some back then. One thing to remember is that if “YOU” rush them and they are over matched and jack, then once they jack once it is also in them to jack again and again………….

Good things come to those who wait. Take your time and mind your pups until they are “ready” and “able”. As mentioned, keep them winning.

That is just my own personal take on it.

are you saying you never seen young dogs ;ready n able;i have in my time seen some jack aswell,all depends on the dog.