About Books And The New Authors Nowadays.

No matter how shabby the authorship, these books will affect terrier work now and later. Alot of boys, myself included, had/have nothing but the written word to learn from. I like the interview style as well Neil. When done well, it is great. I like the Stevens book. Bluck's Irish book was not done so well IMO as he asked silly impersonal questions and put in information that some of the men had told him confidentially. He sent interviews to some great terrier men and he's asked them for their opinion on shows? Holy moly. That booked pushed me to write a couple myself which are in process of completion. I feel there could be use for some American kid on how to get game with these little dogs.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Because it is a proven fact.Bluck had borders a few year back and started a border terrier club of his own but that did not last very long and the club and registration fees went belly up.He then when

Over the years, advances in photography have changed what we expect in print. From old 35mm we had to take to the chemist (unless we had a special contact) to insta-matic pictures. Which were poor qua

Good to see Bert Gripton had the foresight to say such common sense and at a time when terrier work hadn't the pressure like it has today. Some of the older books Lucas and Pearse for example were ni

I agree that certain books recently are very photo orientated. I think with a lot of the new books with the Q + A type that everyone gives basically the same answers so makes it a bit repetitive. It would be far more interesting to delve further into the certain persons day to day life with terriers and maybe thoughts and theories that they may have regarding terriers etc etc, it's as if none of the new authors dare put their 'neck on the line' so to speak. The NS book was about the best I've read from recent years. I liked Harcombes 'Work Them Hard..' also.

• Like 3

I remember david grayling advertrising in cumbria-lake district life mag my mate had some books of him. one old book although not terrier related i really enjoyed tales of bygone times was Gamecock and Countryman by RD Humber,

• Like 4

is the fell terrier a good read ?

yes mate its a fecking briliant read. ive got about 30 books on terrier work the final book i bought was the fell terrier. all the others ive read 1 time and thats been enough the fell terrier i pick it up regular and have a flick threw. that mr plumber must of put some graft in to make that book you can tell by his writing style he was a very cleaver man a bit exentric but very inteligant it wipes the floor with evry modern book out ther and imo i dont think thers a man capabal of writing a book on terriers to match that

• Like 4

i also like mr darceys books he has a simple way of writing i enjoyed the ns book but that fell terrier i picked it up about 3 times before i realy got the time to relax and read it but once i got into it i felt like i was sat next to plumber in the car heading north haha

• Like 1

The book I enjoyed the most is work them hard by David Harcombe . Do I think these authors have done us a disservice by putting pictures up of scarred up terriers and describing bloody battles to use your words . NO I don't , I love to see the pictures of the pictures of old warriors and the stories of epic digs . These books are aimed at men that dig and where not written with what some anti might consider acceptable !!!

• Like 5

if im honest i enjoy reading about dogs and breeding and peoples opinions, this is how harcombe writes. But i dont enjoy stories and tales of digs as it is so easy to fabricate one and i find it hard to believe em without being there, especially the numbers and depths stated.

• Like 3