Do People Often Lose Ferrets?

Hi all,

Im new to ferreting, and looking to get some in the near future. I still live at home as im a student the only issue is that my mother will likely become very attached and see them as her pets, rather than mine which are for working. Therefore i was wondering if its common for people to lose ferrets when out working and if this is something she needs to be prepared for or if that rarely happens? (I would have a transmitter on them).

Also would there working ability be at all affected if they are still treated as a non-working ferret by other members of the family?

Thanks,

Matt

• Like 1

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you ferret rabbits on a regular. (daily) basis,...and over different terrain/areas,...sooner or later,.. the odds are,.. that you will lose a ferret... It is a rotten feeling,..travelling homewards

My mate found a small hob last week were he works , up on the mountain miles from any home , someone has lost it , it's been well handled and fed , I've given it a new home

When you start working your ferret be sensible about choice of burrows. Start with either little ones or easily observed burrows. That way ,even if your ferret makes a kill or is otherwise slow to em

In the past i have used techniques such as rattling me keys or making a squeaking noise just before i feed them, and then do that when out to help get them back.

Ive had ferrets which seem to of done a lap round the tunnels then come back automatically.

Ive had ferrets that have refused to come out (Probably was tucking into something that should have been mine lol) with trackers on, but were too deep and after a bit of digging have just given up.

I would say to you, prepare for the worst but it isnt a definite that you will lose them while working.

In terms of them working and being pets i cant really help.

• Like 3

In the past i have used techniques such as rattling me keys or making a squeaking noise just before i feed them, and then do that when out to help get them back.

Ive had ferrets which seem to of done a lap round the tunnels then come back automatically.

Ive had ferrets that have refused to come out (Probably was tucking into something that should have been mine lol) with trackers on, but were too deep and after a bit of digging have just given up.

I would say to you, prepare for the worst but it isnt a definite that you will lose them while working.

In terms of them working and being pets i cant really help.

Okay great thanks, thats a good idea with the keys, is that usually successful? I guess they are all different and respond differently!

haha okay, well hopefully it wont be an issue :) thanks!

you could use anything really, as long as its a distinctive sound if you get me meaning.

Some wont twig on to it but others will pal, it wont hurt to do it when feeding but make sure its everytime. you will see if its working as when you make sound they start moving around and coming to wire etc. So they start thinking that when they hear that noise there getting somet.

• Like 1

I don't think many people have an issue with losing ferrets. If you have tracking collars on them. There is much more chance that you might injure one with a spade as you dig them out. Usually ferrets just run around the tunnels dug by rabbits as opposed to digging new ones themselves, so you'll always have a rough idea of where abouts they are.

Never lost one working, but have had a few escape from hutches when I should have known better, but even had most of those back. The more you handle them the better they will be for working so don't worry about that. Just try n keep them a bit slim and not as fat as teddy bear!

• Like 2

You are definitely going to find out the hard way. Example. Great friend of mine, in the pub when we got back from doing a bit, couldn't help himself to bragging how good he was with ferrets and would I bring one in to show him. Well country life as it is I agreed. Packed pub. Everyone knowing each other. He decided on the on the collar bravado. Ferret latched onto his ear to which a resounding shriek, loads of banter from the boys and total should not have happened to me from the injured party. Mums and any other family need to be aware because what we, who work them all the time understand, is that we are going to get a nip now and again whilst digging out etc. Buy your little friend from the right people and you can't go wrong. Good luck my friend.

• Like 1

never lost one yet. if cant find them with ferret finder or there to deep, will leave a live catch rat/mink cage out side of last hole i seen them at. and put some rabbit liver in it. then keep going back each day. do that about two years ago and it tuck 3 days to catch her. think she had to eat her way out, she was fat and no worse for wear.

• Like 2

Less likely to lose them using ferret locators but i suppose it does happen, always a risk. Guys on here have lost ferrets because they ran into something else other than rabbits. Me personally iv never lost a ferret while ferreting. Nothing wrong with them being pets either it doesnt ruin them .i have 4 absolute pets which dont bite people but all do their job when it comes time. mine also come when called, i just make a squeak or a clicking noise and they come running, doesnt work when their hunting they only come when their done in the burrows.

• Like 1

I lost one last season and it had a mk3m collar on it and my box could not pick it up and he is my faveroute ferret (blade) I honestly waited 2 days for it searching everywhere with locator and looking. I thaught he was a lost cause until 1 week later I got a phone call from the farmer telling me he found him and fed him and watered him and he will tell me the story when I go pick him up.

Honestly - he caught him in a cage trap baited with wheat a few hundred yards from where I lost him 9 days earlier! Very strange and the odds are millions to one lol but it's true.

Get a deben mk3m and use it mine must have gone deep into the embankment but usually these locators are excellent. I never lost one apart from that once - just dig carefully and enjoy your ferreting!

• Like 1