Sheep Killers.. Shoot Them Or School Them

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I believe its owners responsibilty to break dog to livestock while its a pup before it kills another mans livelihood

If I had a dog which was previously stock broken, and for what ever reason it broke conditioning and started killing stock (any stock) I would bury it. There is no other responsible course of action

I also agree with you Dunkanon,but the dog I heard about was an outstanding animal on every quarry and his encounter with mutton was known and his sins overlooked with the strict practice of never run

We had saluki x that done a sheep I apologised to the farmer and paid for the sheep the farmer told me to bring the dog to the farm yard the following Saturday I did as asked he put the dog in a pen in the barn with a fully grown hand reared ram don't know what type but it was very aggressive und butted the shite out of the dog the dog was screaming its head off after that it couldn't even bring its self to look at a sheep lol

• Like 3

We had saluki x that done a sheep I apologised to the farmer and paid for the sheep the farmer told me to bring the dog to the farm yard the following Saturday I did as asked he put the dog in a pen in the barn with a fully grown hand reared ram don't know what type but it was very aggressive und butted the shite out of the dog the dog was screaming its head off after that it couldn't even bring its self to look at a sheep lol

WD all know that mate.don't mention it tho too many antis on here

, to them a sheep £60 there not pets like your dogs, and what on a farm going to end up on a dinner plate . so before you end :yes:

My shee are worth a lot more than £60 mate it's sole destroying when you get these c***s from towns that havnt a clue and let the dog attack my sheep if I see any dog among my sheep that isn't my own I wouldn't hesitate to get it in the cross hairs.

• Like 1

WD all know that mate.don't mention it tho too many antis on here

better than putting a healthy animal to sleep feck em what they want you to do didn't scare the ram none

, to them a sheep £60 there not pets like your dogs, and what on a farm going to end up on a dinner plate . so before you end :yes:

My shee are worth a lot more than £60 mate it's sole destroying when you get these c***s from towns that havnt a clue and let the dog attack my sheep if I see any dog among my sheep that isn't my own I wouldn't hesitate to get it in the cross hairs.

don't blame ya but like has bin said a dog can be stock broke and for what ever reason just switch and when you have full permission to be in the fields and the farmer has seen your dog's amongst his sheep and it happens you do what ever the farmer asks of you

I have a 14 month old 3/4 saluki here and while young I introduced him to sheep from 4 months old and upwards on many occasions,The farmer is a personal friend of mine that we dig for and shoot on his land,ive even worked for him and sat having dinner with him on numerous occasions,I go every year with the dogs to his sheep farm for an annual top up as I call it,walk the lurchers through the sheep and lambs and thankfully Ive never had a problem,.............exceept for this young dog.I have tried to exhaustion to break him to the sheep but I must admit Ive failed.He was a ball breaker to deal with.I walked him through the flock on a leash a dozen times and each time he drove after them,each time I left him have it,never made a difference.I then put him in with the rams that have in the past sorted a dog or two for me.Big powerfull rams that are known for taking no crap from dogs.I dropped him into the shed with them and at 4 months they waited for the onslaught that was to come,which it did .The pup flew into attack and the rams battered him,the more they battered him the more intense the pup got.The farmer was with me watching all this and found it hillarious.Me on the other hand was not amused one bit.I stepped in a flaked f**k out of him,I then tied him to a ram that took off and dragged him around the shed at 80 miles an hour,I thought this will do the trick.After 5 minutes of the dog choking,I untied him.He settled down and walked back to the main group again and once mre,started the onslaught,so I called it a day.I have been out at least a dozen times since and hes only gotten worse.This year Im going to try a shock collar on him and hopefully that'll work.If not then Im going to have to rethink my next move.As a young dog hes done great on all forms of quarry and really has shown grit and determination for such a youthful animal,but that grit and detremination could be his down fall too in time,

IMG_6484_zpsdc4734fc.jpg

IMG_6471_zps30e79bfb.jpg

heres the little cnut ready to go below

IMG_6482_zpse7033271.jpg

calm before the storm

IMG_6486_zps334df479.jpg

all the other dogs are sound with sheep and I know if the young dog attacks while out along then all the good work could become undone in an instant,

DSCF0244.jpg

IMG_4664.jpg

lets hope I get it sorted,I do have land where theres no sheep so I can use him a plenty but id like to know I have not failed with the most important task any lurcher man should overcome,and thats stock breaking.

Edited by jigsaw
  • Like 1

every single dog that has been bred is a potential sheep, chicken, stock killer, it is our job as pack leader, owner, boss etc to train and school a pup so as it knows what it cant chase, this should be done long before its allowed on wild game, this in my opinion as dog men is our responsibility and no way would i keep a sheep killer or chaser, there is only one place for them and that is under the sod.

where i live it is all sheep farms, and we also have Herdwicks these live out on the fells and live more like wild goats, they smell and look different to other sheep, they also hide in the brackens and can burst out when the dogs are working, so the dogs need to be 100% on stock

every single dog that has been bred is a potential sheep, chicken, stock killer, it is our job as pack leader, owner, boss etc to train and school a pup so as it knows what it cant chase, this should be done long before its allowed on wild game, this in my opinion as dog men is our responsibility and no way would i keep a sheep killer or chaser, there is only one place for them and that is under the sod.

where i live it is all sheep farms, and we also have Herdwicks these live out on the fells and live more like wild goats, they smell and look different to other sheep, they also hide in the brackens and can burst out when the dogs are working, so the dogs need to be 100% on stock

spot on , but sadly theres them that will say ,don't give a dog an inch if it runs a sheep its got to go,but in reality if theres makes a mistake it is then given another chance or two,its easy to say but hard to put into practice, in a lot of cases its the man on other end of lead at fault,not enough time has gone into dog when a pup around stock,but them hill sheep are a diff animal can be very tempting LOL.

you right mate :thumbs: and you have to be no1 in the pack , what I was getting at when dog do kill sheep , it either as you say a sheep took the dog by surprise out from a edge etc .... and nailed it , or if the dog been on quarry and been running that quarry and no catch, dog coming back pumped up , comes through sheep still ok at this point , sheep start to run , instinct kicks in down goes a sheep , it as easy as that. :yes: that so called dog may never have touched a sheep in 10 years, always done very well round stock, like said on that dog I had never touched a sheep for 6 years then lets is instinct , take over part of is brain training goes out the window ..! I do agree dog got be safe round stock you carnt have them out of control true, but I say it again there animals not machines ,and machines or wrong just look at comp. l/t lol . I never trust any dog 100% with sheep now , maybe 95% but that 5% will kill sheep :yes: . and regards the farmers to them stock just money , a sheep killed by dog loss of money , a sheep killed by a man means money , and I have worked at butchers where killed our own stock, so have seen lots animals killed there . even a cute little lamb = money to them, they don't look at them as pets like you do with your hunting dog. So get any dog stock broken, don't give these feckers the chance to shoot your dog .

• Like 1

The younger you put a charge into a dog the deeper and more drawn to it the dog will be ,

Protection dogs are started young on the bite sleeve because it creates a charge in the pup at the young age,

The more intense the introduction to an object the greater the impression made on the pup and that includes sheep

Had a half terrier bitch years ago that could kill anything we came across on the lamp , when she first bumped into sheep she had 3/4 seasons done and completely ignored them because they had never stimulated anything in her , she had no energetic interaction with them and she already had a focus for her work

It's a fine line introducing a pup letting her see sheep without creating too much stimulation while at the same time actively working on channelling it onto the real prey animal

If a dog has a focus for it's energy everything thing else falls by the way side

• Like 3

The younger you put a charge into a dog the deeper and more drawn to it the dog will be ,

Protection dogs are started young on the bite sleeve because it creates a charge in the pup at the young age,

The more intense the introduction to an object the greater the impression made on the pup and that includes sheep

Had a half terrier bitch years ago that could kill anything we came across on the lamp , when she first bumped into sheep she had 3/4 seasons done and completely ignored them because they had never stimulated anything in her , she had no energetic interaction with them and she already had a focus for her work

It's a fine line introducing a pup letting her see sheep without creating too much stimulation while at the same time actively working on channelling it onto the real prey animal

If a dog has a focus for it's energy everything thing else falls by the way side

that's what I am saying , a pup or young dog sees sheep just grazing , standing boring still , pup or dog don't bother, but get them sheep up and running = moving about different ball game. in fact what I used to do when training pups with sheep, was get them in stay throw a ball in amongst the sheep to get the odd couple move off, send the pup in for the ball, so the pup sees them moving about, and that's when you need proper control of the dog with sheep moving about :yes:

• Like 4