Sheep Killers.. Shoot Them Or School Them

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I believe its owners responsibilty to break dog to livestock while its a pup before it kills another mans livelihood

If I had a dog which was previously stock broken, and for what ever reason it broke conditioning and started killing stock (any stock) I would bury it. There is no other responsible course of action

I also agree with you Dunkanon,but the dog I heard about was an outstanding animal on every quarry and his encounter with mutton was known and his sins overlooked with the strict practice of never run

never had a single dog in 20 year broke to sheep and iv lamped all over the county without it ever causing a problem,im not saying there isnt any sheep but in the main its all arable if i did like the look of a spot that held sheep nearby id simply steer clear not being a fool to take the chance although its never once been a problem for me

take from that what you will but its never stopped or hindered me getting dog out lamping or daytime ever.

that's down to location rob and fair enough if you never go in sheep country,but I have no land available that is not sheep farmers ,other people with dogs not broke to sheep have at times caused problems, but it is mostly pet owners or the odd stray.

• Like 1

bit of topic but who would want a dog out with there other dogs that was not trust worthy around sheep,or a mates dog out that had pulled sheep befor,dont think its worth the risk good sound dogs seeing these bad habits myself,think a sheep worrier deserves a second chance but not a third jmo.

in a heart beat PTS no questions asked , No 2nd chances with me

No 2nd chances any dog can make a mistake its what you the owner does after it that will make or break the dog.

To pts because off one mistake is a bad doggy man IMO at the end off the day there animals just like us and by f**k do we make so mistakes

I watched a pet spaniel running wild in our neighbours sheep. Not chasing, but just nose down manic, untrained spaniel. Its owner was not worried as she said its not worrying the sheep! The owner could do feck all to get the dog back. I sent one of my curs to chase the sod off. Rather than run back to its owner, it bolted the lane and jumped in with our pigs. You would be surprised how mobile a saddleback sow can be. Spaniel is lucky to be alive. Owner played holy hell at me. I'll let you guess what my response was

I watched a pet spaniel running wild in our neighbours sheep. Not chasing, but just nose down manic, untrained spaniel. Its owner was not worried as she said its not worrying the sheep! The owner could do feck all to get the dog back. I sent one of my curs to chase the sod off. Rather than run back to its owner, it bolted the lane and jumped in with our pigs. You would be surprised how mobile a saddleback sow can be. Spaniel is lucky to be alive. Owner played holy hell at me. I'll let you guess what my response was

you may have saved that spaniel life from a farmer , if he had seen it 1st might be 12g job, where I moved to there seem to a lot spaniels and not working dogs, you get the odd few and labs that you can see are gun dogs well behaved .But a lot are just pet dogs either out of control, or on them feckin leads with the handles , many time they come over and get wrapped up on my dogs with these bloody leads :censored: , my 2 have sussed them leads out now, and keep out of reach of them if they can :yes:

never had a single dog in 20 year broke to sheep and iv lamped all over the county without it ever causing a problem,im not saying there isnt any sheep but in the main its all arable if i did like the look of a spot that held sheep nearby id simply steer clear not being a fool to take the chance although its never once been a problem for me

take from that what you will but its never stopped or hindered me getting dog out lamping or daytime ever.

that's down to location rob and fair enough if you never go in sheep country,but I have no land available that is not sheep farmers ,other people with dogs not broke to sheep have at times caused problems, but it is mostly pet owners or the odd stray.
fully understand that mate the point I'm making is a good dog that may take a liking to sheep is not instantly culled a good working home else where may be possible if no alternative I'd have no problem with the owner doing the right thing and culling

Its not that long ago a conversation popped up on my newsfeed on facebook a group of young farmer lads were discussing dog attacks on sheep they own and friends of friends etc. They were exchanging stories of how they dispatched the various dogs involved with rifles at various ranges. Needless to say the tone these lads were using laughing about it really really wound me up. Stock killers are a no go for me as with most sensible lads but these pricks laughing about shooting dogs showed the mentality of SOME farmers.

you may have saved that spaniel life from a farmer , if he had seen it 1st might be 12g job, where I moved to there seem to a lot spaniels and not working dogs, you get the odd few and labs that you can see are gun dogs well behaved .But a lot are just pet dogs either out of control, or on them feckin leads with the handles , many time they come over and get wrapped up on my dogs with these bloody leads :censored: , my 2 have sussed them leads out now, and keep out of reach of them if they can :yes:

Ray, had it been in with my sheep, at this time of year I would have no choice but to shoot it. I would take no pleasure in doing so, not the dogs fault. The owners, however are the one that need balancing up with an ounce of lead :censored:

• Like 1

II allways have pups around all sorts when there young and a dog that is not 100% around stock is no good to me it would allways be in the back of your mind when they disappear after quarry. I did once see 2 bull crosses attack some cattle once never seen anything like it in my life and if they were mine they wouldn't have seen there next diinner. There's a fella who keeps some sheep near me a hobby farmer who is well known for shooting dogs he's a f***ing idiot who I genuinly think enjoys trying to intimidate average dog owners walking there pets. Also in most cases on his land the gutless f****r has shot dogs from a good distance away and driven off rather than fronting up to the owner. Good and bad on both sides of the fence IMO and accidents can and do happen. If an accident it can normally be put right but there shouldn't be any excuses for an out and out stock killer a resposible owner will do the responsible thing where that's concerned. Atb

Its not that long ago a conversation popped up on my newsfeed on facebook a group of young farmer lads were discussing dog attacks on sheep they own and friends of friends etc. They were exchanging stories of how they dispatched the various dogs involved with rifles at various ranges. Needless to say the tone these lads were using laughing about it really really wound me up. Stock killers are a no go for me as with most sensible lads but these pricks laughing about shooting dogs showed the mentality of SOME farmers.

they and there kind are a disgrace,but not in the majority think most would only shoot as a last resort ,some folk cant be reasoned with .

If i owned a real good dog i'd be fecked if i'd put it down over a poxy sheep!

I've never owned a dog that has killed a sheep but i have had a few 'loose track' and pull 'em over. They never did that again, both from direct action and opportunity.

Unfortunately the bin lickers i now own ain't worth shit and would be gone at their first sniff of mutton!

I've always broken all my dogs to sheep. The hardest was a first cross beardie/greyhound though that was probably as much to do with her being my first dog and living in Coniston, surrounded by sheep, than it was to do with her breeding. However, although she initially proved a tad difficult (to say the least) she did become completely bomb-proof.

Although my kelpies have all been stock broken I have had cause to use them for their original vocation on a couple of occasions...something which they certainly seemed happy to lend a hand to.

Quick question if you had a genuine dog very successful, done the lot so to speak. Would you cull if the dog took it's hand to sheep? I don't mean purposely hunting them as those dogs are good for f**k all, but I mean would take one if in the same field... ?

THEY DOO ONE THEYLL DO IT AGAIN!

Quick question if you had a genuine dog very successful, done the lot so to speak. Would you cull if the dog took it's hand to sheep? I don't mean purposely hunting them as those dogs are good for f**k all, but I mean would take one if in the same field... ?