Bull In Every Thing Now

Spindolero, the early dogs yhat came across the pond were a damn sight different than the junk that masqerades as 'pitbull's on the streets today.

They were bigger, rangier, more athletic dogs, especially the Reid stuff. The old Wigan club's shows had bull classes then and they were far more popular than the Lurchers & Terriers. You'd see 60 to 100 real deals there, held tight by blokes with break sticks in their back pockets. Them dogs would stand quieter than the Terriers and you'd see the disdane of the owners if a back yard cur kicked em all off, as them dogs knew how to roll..!

Smaller bull terriers occasionally turned up and you really could tell the difference.

Wigan was game dog wild at that time and its from such dogs that the line i've kept came from. A line that produced size and athleticism as well as guts. ;)

To be fair 90% of the early stuff was just as s##t as what's about today especially a lot of the stuff that Reid was peddling to anyone who had cash in their pocket.The real good stuff was kept within small groups of fanciers just the same as it is today and was no different in size or build as what the proper stuff is today.
Put it this way Reid bred some of the best Bulldogs this country has seen and that is a fact.
When you think of the amount he was pumping out there was bound to be a couple of good ones.

Not necessarily, he might have peddled dogs but he bred some Bulldogs that were top class, must have been doing something right. If he'd had sold most of his dogs to good men instead of Joe Bloggs he'd have had even more success.

• Like 1

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thats why i had to travel 3 hours to find what i wanted, personally i would not have one given.

Mid 80's most halfx's being bred were like peas in a pod. Most dog's averaged out at around 24 or 25 inch mark (with a few exceptions being taller) and a hell of a lot of bitches lucky to reach 22 or

If there is plenty of bull in the breeding you should get plenty of wind. The pitbull type is capable of incredible fitness and the Greyhound is capable of a massive explosion of energy and speed. If

Posted Images

Is it me or does everyone seem to be putting more and more bull in every cross now?

I believe to many see it as the quick fix to plaster over poor breeding,others are led like sheep into territory they flounder in.The majority of bull blood utilised in modern breeding is un-fit for purpose and shows in the majority of the progeny,genuine bred types are fecked when they land in the nuggets kennel,the dogs that are bred and entered right are useful at their work and have much to offer in lurcher production,especially if the right balance is met.Ive seen some real belters,sadly many more that are very,very poor.Id not own another or enter it in the breeding,knowingly,for me they negate the desirable traits i seek in a lurcher,many such traits some seek by the quick fix method.Horses for courses,some visit Ascot,others Aintree and the happiest sidle along on the nearest bridle path.

• Like 2

Mid 80's most halfx's being bred were like peas in a pod. Most dog's averaged out at around 24 or 25 inch mark (with a few exceptions being taller) and a hell of a lot of bitches lucky to reach 22 or 23 inch with many bitches being classed as wastage as being too heavy and cloddy to catch a decent fox. Ideal terriermen's dogs though. Nowadays iv'e seen supposedly halfx bitches stand at 27inch and look more like a 3/4 bred than a half x. The bull's used are bastardised with mastiff and american bulldogs and are nowhere near fit for purpose. And you don't need to go across the water to find the real deal either. It's not what you know but who you know.

That aside i like to see a little bull in a dog . I think it makes it that little bit gutsier with a good will to push on on a really hard session.

• Like 6

The Real Deal across the pond will be a lot better than the stuff over here that's for sure but a hell of a lot more expensive and hassle too...

Guy int pub said why go to any of that hassle. Plenty of half crosses around, no need to mess around with first crosses of any type in this day and age
Some guys int pub are of the mould of if you want something doing right do it yourself. Edited by DogFox123

As Johnny muddler said ,I think,for the most part ,there isn't any real need to add any pure breeds,any more,there should be enough quality lurchers about now,so with(maybe) the exception of a sighthound I don't see the need to add any bull,anymore,the lurchers with bull in there should do what you want or else don't breed from them. Just my opinion

Also I wouldn't trust the say so of someone over the other side of an ocean,game dog breeders/sellers are notoriously liberal with the truth regarding pedigrees of dogs particularly

when there's someone got money to to spend

• Like 1