Smithfield , Tumblers....

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Those were back in the 70's but there's really no reason to believe they were from a "genuine smithfield" either in my opinion.

Many years ago,... I travelled the length and breadth of the UK ,.searching for the mythical Smithfield Collie.... We had relatives in New Zealand working with Huntaway types that were often referred

That Jeff is a fcking lunatic (in a harmless way) even witb the story's. I lived round corner from him bumped into regular. .. he's full of shit and believes it...   Dog wise seen one work during d

Posted Images

Smithfield collies as far as I know were just welsh hill collies that were used to drive flocks of sheep on the roads starting in wales and picking up smaller flocks on the way to Smithfield Market in London in the late 1800.s the drovers used to keep a few running dogs also for the odd bit of poaching along the way as it was a long walk these running dogs and the sheep dogs were often mated and that is were the Smithfield tag came from in the late 50,s early 60.s a lot of the coursing dogs were referred to as Smithfield crosses .

• Like 1

Smithfield because that's probably where they were droving too.

Two of my fathers uncles were cattle dealers who'd drive cattle on the road from 40 or 50 miles away to the port in Dublin and they used a collie crossed with a labrador , the lab giving strength to turn 3 or 4 year old cattle.

Drovers used all sorts.

• Like 2

Most of the Drovers used to meet up at Smithfield from the sheep producing areas and no doubt sold and exchanged dogs most of the old time running lads from down south used to run black and white smooth and rough coated dogs these were always referred to as Smithfield /greys though they had whippet , bedlington and many other lines in them also the Norfolk tumblers where used as cattle droving dogs and the tumbler name allegedly derived from them tumbling of the cattle backs in the cattle pens these were running dog crosses also.

Edited by desertbred

Desert Bred - Not trying to be insulting old old are you chap ??

Was you kicking about in them days or just clued up ??

Genuine question mate..

Think Phil Lloyd had some right old pictures of collie types - on forums few years back on similar topic..

Them ones Burrel breeds don't even seem to throw a type..

has been said its just a name to add coin to a litter he will tell you anything his lines are 100s of years old bred from this historic line or from that best bet just get something from parents that do what you want and forget the shite he comes out with

TBF I have never spoke to the man and by the sounds of it hes just tapped into a marketing ploy that people will still fall for as long as lurchers exsist.I can remember these types advertised regular in the old exchange and mart in the late 70s with their sales pitch boosted by pictures in Walshes lurchers and longdogs.

This dog was bred by Jeff. Very easy to train marked, retrived ,lamped and ferreted. He was a very handy dog 100% single handed and made the fast rabbits look easy. He was an excellent all rounder and a joy to own. I'm not making a statement about all his dogs because this is the only one I've had anything to do with but I'd have him again in a hart beat.

post-23657-0-76704600-1420328457_thumb.jpg

post-23657-0-88275900-1420328467_thumb.jpg

post-23657-0-18946400-1420328481_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

This dog was bred by Jeff. Very easy to train marked, retrived ,lamped and ferreted. He was a very handy dog 100% single handed and made the fast rabbits look easy. He was an excellent all rounder and a joy to own. I'm not making a statement about all his dogs because this is the only one I've had anything to do with but I'd have him again in a hart beat.

thats a good honest review. would you pay £500?

• Like 1