Photo Of The Year

A well composed shot, but I'd be more impressed if the hare was truly wild.....I think this photo could be historical in a few years time as I do think that Park 'Coursing' won't be around forever. I use the term 'coursing' in its loosest possible sense...JMO....JD

its looks like a Belgium hare ?

I wish I could take pics like that..I find myself in a position to be able to get great actions shots..but the Iphone just doesn't seem to capture it...lol

Its an irish hare mate.......they are released for muzzled greyhounds to run.

• Like 1

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personaly,...although of excellent quality,...and obviously taken by a man who knows his camera... I find the picture of the muzzled greyhounds and their quarry,...to be strangely depressing...  

A few pics Craig took of my bitch on a walk out,

Posted Images

A well composed shot, but I'd be more impressed if the hare was truly wild.....I think this photo could be historical in a few years time as I do think that Park 'Coursing' won't be around forever. I use the term 'coursing' in its loosest possible sense...JMO....JD

I wish I could take pics like that..I find myself in a position to be able to get great actions shots..but the Iphone just doesn't seem to capture it...lol

According to folklore lol the white hare was an easy assignment for a lurcher and with the Irish Hare being a sub species of the White Hare does it also mean these were easy pickings for an average type of dog? Genuine question for those who have ran all three "brown,white & irish" ..ive not seen let alone ran an irish hare so whats the craic then lads?

A shot like that of a hare being coursed on his own turf would be near impossible to get, but at a park meet you'd have several chances of being in the right place at the right time every couple of minutes.

I agree, Park Coursing is not the real deal but it is massively popular in Ireland, so popular in fact that there's more entries than there are places.

I do think coursing will be around for a long time to come here in Ireland but every year it seems to get harder and harder for the Open Clubs to run their meets due to a few factors which is sad as Open Coursing is the real thing.

Good pic though. But the best coursing photo I ever seen was for sale at the Waterloo Cup in the early 90s. It was taken by that well known fieldsports photographer ,Simon Everitt, the hare was on sown land running straight at the camera. A couple of feet behind was the greyhound about to pick her up. You could see down the greyhounds throat. It was superb and I'm sorry I didn't buy that frame.

Edited by neil cooney
  • Like 5

Well Neil, who knows about the Park side of things, but I would say that within the decade it might be gone. All depends on what the government thinks I guess.

I have many photos like that of brown, blue and Irish hare being coursed on their own turf, but they are never 'easy' to get. To get one good coursing shot is lucky....to get hundreds ain't lucky. When those captive hares are released in the 'park' i dare say that getting photos like that are not too difficult. Then there's the Waterloo Cup, again, if the photographer is in the correct position then shots shouldn't be too difficult.....BUT put those photographers on a 3000 acre Fen with one dog on one hare and see what they come home with. To get many good coursing action photos you need to become obsessed, as there just isn't any other way IMO.That's my take on things....... :victory: :victory:

• Like 6

According to folklore lol the white hare was an easy assignment for a lurcher and with the Irish Hare being a sub species of the White Hare does it also mean these were easy pickings for an average type of dog? Genuine question for those who have ran all three "brown,white & irish" ..ive not seen let alone ran an irish hare so whats the craic then lads?

Well, folklore is often wrong Fuji me old mate....as well you know. I've ran them all and I have to say that the Irish hares were like rockets, they had it all IMO, they were fast, nimble, could turn tighter than a leveret and they could stick on for the duration. All in all, they spanked my dog's arse! :laugh: :laugh: :D

As for the blue hare, well, I know of some that takes a good dog to catch 1 out of 3, with 30 yard slips :icon_eek: :icon_eek: That population opened a few lads eyes :icon_eek: myself included! :D

• Like 4

Well, folklore is often wrong Fuji me old mate....as well you know. I've ran them all and I have to say that the Irish hares were like rockets, they had it all IMO, they were fast, nimble, could turn tighter than a leveret and they could stick on for the duration. All in all, they spanked my dog's arse! :laugh: :laugh: :D

As for the blue hare, well, I know of some that takes a good dog to catch 1 out of 3, with 30 yard slips :icon_eek: :icon_eek: That population opened a few lads eyes :icon_eek: myself included! :D

with all due respect to the 2good posts above every animal running from a sight hound and putting up a good account of itself deserves to be held in the highest regard, because without the prey there would never be the dogs of legend status
  • Like 1

Well Neil, who knows about the Park side of things, but I would say that within the decade it might be gone. All depends on what the government thinks I guess.

I have many photos like that of brown, blue and Irish hare being coursed on their own turf, but they are never 'easy' to get. To get one good coursing shot is lucky....to get hundreds ain't lucky. When those captive hares are released in the 'park' i dare say that getting photos like that are not too difficult. Then there's the Waterloo Cup, again, if the photographer is in the correct position then shots shouldn't be too difficult.....BUT put those photographers on a 3000 acre Fen with one dog on one hare and see what they come home with. To get many good coursing action photos you need to become obsessed, as there just isn't any other way IMO.That's my take on things....... :victory: :victory:

:thumbs:

Bloody hell JD, you just made me spill my glass of Cider, I had to read it again.

An Englishman praising the Irish Hare, fair play.

They're all fantastic animals who deserve nothing but the most respect.

• Like 3

to right max ,but alas the english prick blair put paid to that, orrible man, a pure gangster , a good politicain would had said we have more important issues than rabbits and hares and we did

lucky some have lived the life of riley and del boy ducking and diving and being used to hassle ,but for al the clubs, coursing etc my heart went out to them all the years of ground work to gain land breed dogs etc a way of life ,now you have just got a small portion of what it was back in the day ,

to right max ,but alas the english prick blair put paid to that, orrible man, a pure gangster , a good politicain would had said we have more important issues than rabbits and hares and we did

lucky some have lived the life of riley and del boy ducking and diving and being used to hassle ,but for al the clubs coursing etc my heart went out tot hem all the years of ground wok to gain land breed dogs etc a way of life now you have just got a small portion of what it was back in the day ,

Edited by fluff

Park coursing wouldn't be my cup of tea but I won't debate the merits or otherwise of it. I do agree with JD however, that it will be gone sooner than people think. It's popular enough with country folk but it's an easy target and it's supporters do a poor job of garnering any support outside of their own community.

When it's gone I guess the rest of us will carry on as always.

• Like 1