Photo Of The Year

One thing stands out in that photo of the muzzled Greyhound and the hare: poor feckin dog! Chasing its heart out for nothing!

On the quality of such action photos I have to say that Darcy's photos in the Hare and the Swift Hound take a lot of beating. And anyone who is willing to lug heavy equipment about all winter, year after year, and run with it too, just to get those shots, deserves every accolade we can heap on them. That kind of dedication is rare, in any walk of life.

Chasing its heart out for nothing! in the early 90's under pressure the Irish Govt. tried to ban hare coursing and the Irish Coursing Club offered to muzzle the dogs in semi's and finals and thats how it carries on today but all dogs are muzzled when coursing in Eire,If the ICC had not offered this they knew they would of lost coursing so the choice was muzzle or lose it.

A change of Govt. in Eire and lobbying (see my previous post) put the greyhound industry in a strong and healthy position

Y.I.S Leeview

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personaly,...although of excellent quality,...and obviously taken by a man who knows his camera... I find the picture of the muzzled greyhounds and their quarry,...to be strangely depressing...  

A few pics Craig took of my bitch on a walk out,

Posted Images

Well Neil, who knows about the Park side of things, but I would say that within the decade it might be gone. All depends on what the government thinks I guess.

I have many photos like that of brown, blue and Irish hare being coursed on their own turf, but they are never 'easy' to get. To get one good coursing shot is lucky....to get hundreds ain't lucky. When those captive hares are released in the 'park' i dare say that getting photos like that are not too difficult. Then there's the Waterloo Cup, again, if the photographer is in the correct position then shots shouldn't be too difficult.....BUT put those photographers on a 3000 acre Fen with one dog on one hare and see what they come home with. To get many good coursing action photos you need to become obsessed, as there just isn't any other way IMO.That's my take on things....... :victory: :victory:

and at the end of the seaon realised back into the wild

Y.I.S Leeview

Were you their when the hares were released back into the wild?

NO it was too dark

Y.I.S Leeview

• Like 1

Well Neil, who knows about the Park side of things, but I would say that within the decade it might be gone. All depends on what the government thinks I guess.

I have many photos like that of brown, blue and Irish hare being coursed on their own turf, but they are never 'easy' to get. To get one good coursing shot is lucky....to get hundreds ain't lucky. When those captive hares are released in the 'park' i dare say that getting photos like that are not too difficult. Then there's the Waterloo Cup, again, if the photographer is in the correct position then shots shouldn't be too difficult.....BUT put those photographers on a 3000 acre Fen with one dog on one hare and see what they come home with. To get many good coursing action photos you need to become obsessed, as there just isn't any other way IMO.That's my take on things....... :victory: :victory:

and at the end of the seaon realised back into the wild

Y.I.S Leeview

Were you their when the hares were released back into the wild?

NO it was too dark

Y.I.S Leeview

Well, they dont allways go back to the place where they were originaly captured from. By law, all hares that are captured for park coursing, have to go back to where they came from, most dont and i think you know that pal...!

Edited by Saluki246

The wildlife ranger does be there when the hares are released back and they don't take messing.

The rangers would just love to find an excuse to take a clubs license away.

Also, you'll find that most clubs have their old reliable beats that they use year after year for netting hares for their meets and the work it takes to provide hares for an annual meet really has to be experienced to appreciate it. So it's in the clubs interest to ensure that the hares are put back where they came from.

Hares used to be tagged to ensure that the same hares went back to where they were caught but now you just have to put back the same number.

It's a big pity IMO as it's mixed up the breeding and you don't see the different strains of localised hares that you used to. I knew places where the hares were nearly white (which is rare in the Irish hare, even though it's a sub-species of the Blue hare) and in Malahide, North County Dublin there was even a strain of yellow hares but like I say, the breeding is all mixed up now.

As for muzzling ?

It's only done in Park meets and dogs are left unmuzzled for open coursing. It was either muzzle them or loose coursing completely.

In park coursing there are no points for the kill anyway. Nor are there points for a turn, a go bye or a trip.

Basically it's the dog that reaches the hare first that wins the course. So Park coursing is not for the coursing purist but it is what it is and it's better than no coursing at all.

However if there is one thing that pisses me off on a coursing field is when at an open meeting you see a judge judging on just the run up. Makes me mad. I'd love to pull some of them off their bloody horse, LOL.

Less than two weeks to go to my favourite open meet, Newbridge, I love it.

As for Coursing being banned in the future in Ireland ?

Ask any politician in Ireland what happened the last time a government meddled with hunting in Eire ? It cost them their power is what they'll tell you.

More than one politician has told me that even though Ireland was in a bad recession at the time that the Fianna Fail / Green Party coalition took away the license of one stag hunt and it was a massive factor in the down fall of that government.

In fact, even during the recession Coursing was one of the sports that didn't suffer and in fact was booming. In other words coursing is recession proof from the fact that it's very much in the blood of the Irish people.

No, IMO any politician with a brain will know not to mess with fieldsports in Eire. When Minister Simon Coveney a couple of years ago said he was going to ban terrierwork he was took to one side by his superiors and told to shut up.

The Irish politician who seems to be most vocal on banning coursing at the moment is an inner city yolk called Clair Daly.

Last week she asked for a hunt to be banned and the next day asked for abortion to be legalised in Eire.

How do these people get into these jobs ?

• Like 5

The wildlife ranger does be there when the hares are released back and they don't take messing.

Also, you'll find that most clubs have their old reliable beats that they use year after year for netting hares for their meets and the work it takes to provide hares for an annual meet really has to be experienced to appreciate it. So it's in the clubs interest to ensure that the hares are put back where they came from.

Hares used to be tagged to ensure that the same hares went back to where they were caught but now you just have to put back the same number.

It's a big pity IMO as it's mixed up the breeding and you don't see the different strains of localised hares that you used to. I knew places where the hares were nearly white (which is rare in the Irish hare, even though it's a sub-species of the Blue hare) and in Malahide, North County Dublin there was even a strain of yellow hares but like I say, the breeding is all mixed up now.

As for muzzling ?

It's only done in Park meets and dogs are left unmuzzled for open coursing. It was either muzzle them or loose coursing completely.

In park coursing there are no points for the kill anyway. Nor are there points for a turn, a go bye or a trip.

Basically it's the dog that reaches the hare first that wins the course. So Park coursing is not for the coursing purist but it is what it is and it's better than no coursing at all.

However if there is one thing that pisses me off on a coursing field is when at an open meeting you see a judge judging on just the run up. Makes me mad. I'd love to pull some of them off their bloody horse, LOL.

Ask any politician in Ireland what happened the last time a government meddled with hunting in Eire ? It cost them their power is what they'll tell you.

More than one politician has told me that even though Ireland was in a bad recession at the time that the Fianna Fail / Green Party coalition took away the license of one stag hunt and it was a massive factor in the down fall of that government.

In fact, even during the recession Coursing was one of the sports that didn't suffer and in fact was booming. In other words coursing is recession proof from the fact that it's very much in the blood of the Irish people.

No, IMO any politician with a brain will know not to mess with fieldsports in Eire. When Minister Simon Coveney a couple of years ago said he was going to ban terrierwork he was took to one side by his superiors and told to shut up.

The Irish politician who seems to be most vocal on banning coursing at the moment is an inner city yolk called Clair Daly.

Last week she asked for a hunt to be banned and the next day asked for abortion to be legalised in Eire.

Fair comment. :thumbs:

However, i have seen with my own eyes, greyhound coursing men, releasing hares, where they originally did not come from. Now, this was a few years ago, it must of got more stricter now. ?

One thing i dont like about a lot of greyhound coursing men, is their attitude towards lurcher lads, that even have permissiom to hunt on the land. Smashing up cars and vans ect, bullly boy tactics that does them no favours!! No need for it... :no:

Their was a incident lasy year. not far from me, where a man and his young son were ferreting with a lurcher, they had permission and were just after rabbits.. when they got back to the van, it was all smashed up and tyres slashed....3 men, belonging to the local greyhound coursing club, were stood around with baseball bats ready to lay in to the man....accusing them of trying to catch hares??? :blink: ...the poor boy was so shook up, he never wanted to go hunting again, that to me is disgracefull!!! :thumbdown:

• Like 1

As for muzzling ?

Nicely summed up there Neil,beat me to the answer for saluki246. as I understand it releasing hares was a numbers thing ie if they netted 40 they had to release 40 back on the land.

Liam Burke was an Irish politician and coursing supporter attending Old Yorks VCork County Open over here as well as well as the Waterloo Cup.

Y.I.S Leeview

As for muzzling ?

However, i have seen with my own eyes, greyhound coursing men, releasing hares, where they originally did not come from. Now, this was a few years ago, it must of got more stricter now. ?

One thing i dont like about a lot of greyhound coursing men, is their attitude towards lurcher lads, that even have permissiom to hunt on the land. Smashing up cars and vans ect, bullly boy tactics that does them no favours!! No need for it... :no:

Their was a incident lasy year. not far from me, where a man and his young son were ferreting with a lurcher, they had permission and were just after rabbits.. when they got back to the van, it was all smashed up and tyres slashed....3 men, belonging to the local greyhound coursing club, were stood around with baseball bats ready to lay in to the man....accusing them of trying to catch hares??? :blink: ...the poor boy was so shook up, he never wanted to go hunting again, that to me is disgracefull!!! :thumbdown:

"that even have permission to hunt on the land"? Correct me if Im wrong but arent clubs licensed to course by the Govt? so coursing without a license from the Govt is not allowed?

Y.I.S Leeview

As for muzzling ?

"that even have permission to hunt on the land"? Correct me if Im wrong but arent clubs licensed to course by the Govt? so coursing without a license from the Govt is not allowed?

Y.I.S Leeview

So the man and his son ferreting with a lurcher, on permission, need a licence to go ferreting with a lurcher??? :blink:

His not the only one been effected by this, their is members on this forum, that have had the same done to them over here...

Its about time, they realise, greyhound coursing clubs, dont own all the hares in ireland, they belong to no one, but out in the wild.,.. :thumbs:

Whoa I quoted about your dislike of greyhound coursing men attitude to lurcher lads

No the man and his son dont need a license to go ferreting with a lurcher.So what did the Garda do?

I seen topics on here but it was shooting syndicates that were up in arms

Y.I.S Leeview

Saluki I know exactly what you mean and know of several stories.

I also know of several stories from the other side of the fence.

It's a pity as IMO there's room for everyone, if everyone plays ball that is.

Unlike most I've seen both sides of the argument so I know what I'm taking about.

To me there's nothing more natural than watching a healthy, fit running dog coursing a hare on the hares terms.

Whether that's at an organised meet or a lad out for a stroll on a Sunday morning I don't care.

As long as fair play is shown to the hare and well done to any man who can get a dog fit enough to put a strong Winter hare under pressure , let alone lift her.

But when I see gate stopping and fresh dogs being slipped then it's back to the old argument of "that's not right".

It's always a pity when fieldsports men disagree .

• Like 2

Saluki I know exactly what you mean and know of several stories.

I also know of several stories from the other side of the fence.

It's a pity as IMO there's room for everyone, if everyone plays ball that is.

Unlike most I've seen both sides of the argument so I know what I'm taking about.

To me there's nothing more natural than watching a healthy, fit running dog coursing a hare on the hares terms.

Whether that's at an organised meet or a lad out for a stroll on a Sunday morning I don't care.

As long as fair play is shown to the hare and well done to any man who can get a dog fit enough to put a strong Winter hare under pressure , let alone lift her.

But when I see gate stopping and fresh dogs being slipped then it's back to the old argument of "that's not right".

It's always a pity when fieldsports men disagree .

Good post that fair play and thanks. Ill leave it at that. :thumbs:

• Like 2

As for muzzling ?

Y.I.S Leeview

its legit here..and you still get the odd cxxt slabbering very rare now i must say ..think the lesson was learnt lol.