Collie Greyhound

I'm going off my own experience with the cross ! I've seen the collie cross taking a fox and never seen one take one with a good honest kill! Usually have to dispatch it myself ! We're I've seen over crosses to an honest job and kill it out right before you can get to the dog! Dunno what your getting and with pictures and Facebook!

• Like 1

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Love em or loathe em..nothing stirs a debate when the words collie & lurcher are talked of in the same sentence..some owners me included just seem to gel with a cur x where others would rather tea

I have to be honest here the collie x was my first Lurcher, back in 1958 I was 14 years old still at school, I wrote about this before, Now this is the crunch, I learned with that dog by listening t

i've run cur dogs for best part of 30 years now, and it has to be said that the owner does make an enormous difference to the dog. yes failures do occur, but have you ever wondered why most profession

Posted Images

the collie crosses I was talking about was run daylight, never lamped, Run on plough, seed fields, Tattie fields, and Moorland, and Ive run them on Hard frost,

with no problems, Back in those days, deerhound/grey was a common breed then, x that breed into a good collie cross, and it did not stop there, once you crossed with the deerhound cross you get dogs upto 28/29" when you had a good bitch out of all those crosses especially, a bitch with a broken coat or rough coat which was common the next cross, a Grew dog, grey/whippet, and that litter you were on the money for all edible, a good coat good feet, with pace and a hunting brain, Prey drive, then I screwed up I emigrated, and I lost all that good breeding, when I came back 10 years later things had moved on LAMPING,

and the saluki xs the Saluki x has great recovery from a hard run, and can run clever, good feet, eye sight, prey drive,, you have to learn to work with them

they are the aristocrats, of the lurcher world, oh they can do there job, but sometimes they try your patience to the limit, such as life, nothing wrong with a good ole collie x biddable, I think it has a lot to do with the man on the end of the Lead, thats the problem, and if you run any dog Long enough , hard enough, you will sicken them always keep your dog sweet, that dog what you keep dreaming about does not exist, you HAVE to PUT the WORK IN front of the dog,But also know when he or she has had enough, you cannot keep emptying the tank, because its going to run dry,

You can sicken any dog for sure but collie xs , can sicken there selves in my opinion.

the dog i mentioned in my earlier post [glen] would kill a fox in seconds he just had the knack -he was marked up as a young dog but as he got older /wiser he was rarely bitten a very heavy powerful dog that would never let you down given half a chance -he was run on any terrain -marked a fox earth differently to marking other ground game -if fox was at home he would position himself away from the earth and very rarely got it it wrong when fox was bolted if i were to go back into the lurcher game this is the x i would choose for my way of life- biddable /honest -----ps good post

• Like 1

the collie crosses I was talking about was run daylight, never lamped, Run on plough, seed fields, Tattie fields, and Moorland, and Ive run them on Hard frost,

with no problems, Back in those days, deerhound/grey was a common breed then, x that breed into a good collie cross, and it did not stop there, once you crossed with the deerhound cross you get dogs upto 28/29" when you had a good bitch out of all those crosses especially, a bitch with a broken coat or rough coat which was common the next cross, a Grew dog, grey/whippet, and that litter you were on the money for all edible, a good coat good feet, with pace and a hunting brain, Prey drive, then I screwed up I emigrated, and I lost all that good breeding, when I came back 10 years later things had moved on LAMPING,

and the saluki xs the Saluki x has great recovery from a hard run, and can run clever, good feet, eye sight, prey drive,, you have to learn to work with them

they are the aristocrats, of the lurcher world, oh they can do there job, but sometimes they try your patience to the limit, such as life, nothing wrong with a good ole collie x biddable, I think it has a lot to do with the man on the end of the Lead, thats the problem, and if you run any dog Long enough , hard enough, you will sicken them always keep your dog sweet, that dog what you keep dreaming about does not exist, you HAVE to PUT the WORK IN front of the dog,But also know when he or she has had enough, you cannot keep emptying the tank, because its going to run dry,

You can sicken any dog for sure but collie xs , can sicken there selves in my opinion.

true, my colliex Blaze was good on foxes as ive said on posts , but I think if doing a lot of foxes in a week's lamping or day time, he would have said enough. where as ive seen few good 1x pit x greys would do that amount of work no prob, the bullxs will take more stick long term than colliexs, that's the only difference I think . but any dog what ever the x will sicken in the end :yes: and some of the bullxs did have very powerful jaws to start with , so its dogs for jobs but Blaze my collie x grey did kill fair few foxes, so was happy enough with him :yes:

I'm going off my own experience with the cross ! I've seen the collie cross taking a fox and never seen one take one with a good honest kill! Usually have to dispatch it myself ! We're I've seen over crosses to an honest job and kill it out right before you can get to the dog! Dunno what your getting and with pictures and Facebook!

Simple, the internet, ruination of terrier and lurcherwork. The last maybe 10 years especially.

60's 70's and into the 80's collie x's or lurcher x lurcher with collie on both sides would've been the predominating types for all lurcherwork, with deer/greys or beddy/greys in certain areas a close second.

Not having a personal dig at you, but there have been, and still are some very powerful efficient fox killing collie x's around that love the job. The fact you've not seen em doesn't mean they don't exist, or that you need a bull x for the job :thumbs:

• Like 7

Well there you go, there is always some one trying to down the ole collie x the most successful lurcher for filling the pot that has been bred, only this morning

my black bitch, she made a kill, it was grey dark, or even more, But the saluki has good eye sight for that type of morning or night, anyway I have the fawn dog on the lead, I can-not hear any thing, I am whistling, Nothing, I continue walking down the road, then return to the same field about 15 minutes, later still greyish

but I see her at the far end of the field, eating her quarry, b*****d, I Never had any other breed of dog do that on me, breed saluki/whippet/grey,she used to carry, now she would rather eat her catch, she is in top nick, exercised, every day without fail, and fed on the best beef mince, from the Knackers yard,

Border lad each to there own mate just noising all terrain up my first dog was a 3/4 cross Collie 38 years ago and what a dog he was would take everything put in front oh him including keepers lol then had another with to much collie in it put me right of them but as most of the collie crosses owners say it's the man on the lead not the dog alot of fecking piss each to there own

• Like 2

As I've said before I've always owned collie crosses and proberly will always have them but I never did the foxing game much but did do enough to understand what required! I belive if you want a foxing lurcher the collie cross is not the ideal pup to bring in? There is enough people getting rid of dogs half way through there first season as they are not happy with it and I'm not a believer in this ! I belive you carefully pick a pup for the job you do and keep it till the dog finishes it's life regardless if it's a good worker or not ! But if young lads see people talking about collie crosses taking fox then they set there heart out on one and end up not doing the business then dog is then shipped on to the local dog pound or what ever then it's a shame? Like the the book Merle start of a Dynesty think he really try's to sell the collie cross looking back at it now but as a youngster I thought the son shown out of his arse! I don't take an offence to what you said I'm happy to have a good decision about lurchers and see other peoples options !

• Like 5

Love em or loathe em..nothing stirs a debate when the words collie & lurcher are talked of in the same sentence..some owners me included just seem to gel with a cur x where others would rather tear their hair out than even have a thought of been seen in the presence of one..very few collie x's have the brute force strength a big old bucket headed Bull x possesses and that inevitably means it won't have the jaw power to dispatch a fox on impact or within seconds like the Bull x..does that mean it's inferior? To the butch and bravado trackie wearing youths probably so? But to me not at all..I've seen many types of lurcher dispatching foxes, being honest as long as they did the job what's the problem? Not many lurchers can hunt foxes, I mean seriously track one..EVERY single one of the dogs id class as being able to do that task were Collie x's..I have a cur x which given the chance would take on ANYTHING with a pulse, my lad has a big old dustbin lid headed bull x who would also do the same and to the eye looks real macho in his work..does that make the latter a better dog? Only one would hunt a fox on ANY terrain, in woodland, clear fell, moorland, fell or in dense cover that a terrier would struggle to get through..to kill they need to catch first..around an earth yes the bull types look the bees knees, on the lamp and being a catch dog id say there wasn't a lot in them probably favouring slightly the collie x ..for hunting their own and catching its curs all day..just my few years experience on the matter..you choose what YOU think and let us know how you get on :-)

now thats a great post . :yes::yes:

• Like 2