Silken Windhound (Borzoi Whippet Line Bred)

Francie bred Borzoi and yes she did just want a smaller version. They are all dna tested before you breed and were originally Sheltie Whippet Crosses which was then

selectively bred to small Borzoi, the difference is that the breed has been kept pure. Now, in the States they race and course them and believe me they do very well.

We have some racing for them here, they will chase rabbit or hare but you cannot chase hare round here, the farmers put up trip wires to stop it so, unfortunately it is

just plastic bags or furry skins.

Trip wires???? They must put up miles and miles of it if that's going to work ffs. Call me old fashioned but I think that would make it a tad difficult to get on with the business of farming - tractors, stock etc all having to move around the fields.

• Like 2

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

how can you be sure do you know everyone with a Borzoi? and whippet?

get them out behind some long ears see how they perform should be done with in the law of course driving to birds or guns on permission

bonny looking dogs, but if you want to gamble, buy a lottery ticket. If you plan on a successful working dog, I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole

Posted Images

The bitch was bought from america by a person in germany who the man I know bought it off then brought the bitchnin frommgermany and yes they do have american kennel club papers, your just one of those small minded ring paraders and because someones a chance of getting something you have you dont like it ........ and trip wires really??? You need to get out more and look closely there aint trip wires believe me im down that way a lot

I dont care how pure you think this breed is or how pure your dogs of this breed are the reality is they are borzoi x whippets that have been put to borzoi whippets which equals a cross which is not a pure breed !

had the pleasure to see a few silkens they have nothing to give to the working dog market ,as there better tried and tested dogs about ,most are show dogs and when out coursing some were poor ,but there will be some rocket trying to say they have a right good one for money and showing ,some look like alight built lassie collie , with no running style or brain , ask the keen coursing men in the states etc theyl tell you the truth

What does borzoi offer workwise?

I know of a few people with borzoi in there lurchers but dont really no why youd bother tbh

The only way I can see borzoi as being worthwhile in a lurcher is if you wanted an out and out fox dog and had access to some of the genuine old Russian blood. But having said that I have no idea if they still course wolves with them over there - it wouldn't surprise me if it's been banned. But if there are still some proper working lines over there then I could see the logic behind using a dog like that to breed a foxing lurcher. But I find it very hard to believe that even if the old working lines still exist, anybody's bothered to import one to this country. My guess is that any lurcher in the UK with borzoi in its makeup will have come from dogs that are dramatically 'watered down' from their Russian forebears. All of which is a long-winded way of saying I wouldn't want anything with borzoi in it ;)

Completely agree redneck. I'm not suggesting you *should* go for borzoi breeding if you want a fox dog. Just that I can see the logic of going down that road if you've got access to the genuine article. Either way, borzoi's not a dog I'd want in a lurcher.

As it part lurcher and part whippet its therefore a mongrel, lurchers or long dog so why has the AKC decided it's now a pedigree lol at a guess money IMHO mix two sight hounds and you may get some degree of success but it would take years of honest sective breeding to get something worthwhile never mind sellable to others as workers a few races on lure not going to prove much at all and to say fens covered in wires sounds like a get out to me lol

These sound a bit like them tumblers and other stuff people invent too sell crosses for more money could be wrong though

• Like 2