Pro Boxer Versus Bare Knuckle Champ

The black guy Bert Cooper was a good pro in his day,he was only ever a pumped up cruiserweight but fought for a world heavyweight title......went on to become a bit of a journeyman sadly but still shows the gap between pro and street !

so where do you rate Lenny McLean ? Could he have went far in the pro game?

Lennie was near unbeatable without gloves....with gloves he probably wouldnt of made it as a pro,particularly when you think Johnny Waldron knocked him out in the first round twice and he was only a southern area title standard light heavyweight.....Lennie was a fearsome fighting man but he wasnt a boxer.

was he ever defeated bare knuckle? Have you ever heard of any pros going into the bare scene and doing well?

Yes the first time he fought pretty boy shaw he got beat

I think the fella is asking about bareknuckle......no im not aware he ever lost on the cobbles although im sure he did......its worth keeping in mind he probably had over 1000 fights over a 3 year period in the early 80,s......i dont know that he ever lost but id imagine he did.

• Like 2

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

These overweight men with shaved heads and tattoos are a dime a dozen in every town they all think they're killers with ties to the military and they all say they had bare knuckle fights until some on

Willing to bet your not the most intelligent lol. A true legend? Word is so thrown about it devalues those who are legends. Can say the blokes a hard man and what not but what makes him a legend? I'm

i'm not to sure i'd want to be buying a book and lining the pockets of a dirty c.unt convicted of raping young boys! yokel.

The black guy Bert Cooper was a good pro in his day,he was only ever a pumped up cruiserweight but fought for a world heavyweight title......went on to become a bit of a journeyman sadly but still shows the gap between pro and street !

Lennie was near unbeatable without gloves....with gloves he probably wouldnt of made it as a pro,particularly when you think Johnny Waldron knocked him out in the first round twice and he was only a southern area title standard light heavyweight.....Lennie was a fearsome fighting man but he wasnt a boxer.

was he ever defeated bare knuckle? Have you ever heard of any pros going into the bare scene and doing well?
fella called monaghen [not rinty]from here was a pro.ended up bare scene done well.
was he a gypsy? Any domestic men do any good?

few say silver mc.kee had a few in london..

I think the fella is asking about bareknuckle......no im not aware he ever lost on the cobbles although im sure he did......its worth keeping in mind he probably had over 1000 fights over a 3 year period in the early 80,s......i dont know that he ever lost but id imagine he did.
feck me that's some going I take his explosive power was too much for most, with that amount of fights he must not have many long drawn out affairs to be fresh so quick for the next one

feck me that's some going I take his explosive power was too much for most, with that amount of fights he must not have many long drawn out affairs to be fresh so quick for the next one

You take it with a pinch of salt of course but Lennie claimed to of had fights for money every week for years and years,specifically through the early 80,s..... id imagine the figure of 1000 was a nice round figure but over his lifetime i wouldnt think thats far out

• Like 1

undefeated bare knuckle champion??!! WTF? champion pie eater more like. christ, i'm well into my forties and have damaged knees hands and shoulders plus i'm giving away at least ten stone, but i'd quite fancy a pop at him!!

• Like 1

Lennie Mclean (iirc) had 13 unlicenced bouts losing 6 and suffering 4 first round knockouts. Cliff Fields Knocked him out twice in the first round as did Johnny Waldron, Roy Shaw also stopped him . There is a good book called Wildcats by Danny Woolard which is worth a read about these men back in the day,another book mentions Mcleans record but I cant remember it at the moment . Paddy Monaghan was unbeaten as a bare knuckle fighter and has a book out that is also worth a read. Mclean was beaten bare knuckle by a man named Micky Gluckstad who also has a book out .

Edited by MickC

undefeated bare knuckle champion??!! WTF? champion pie eater more like. christ, i'm well into my forties and have damaged knees hands and shoulders plus i'm giving away at least ten stone, but i'd quite fancy a pop at him!!

There's always one lol

Lennie Mclean (iirc) had 13 unlicenced bouts losing 6 and suffering 4 first round knockouts. Cliff Fields Knocked him out twice in the first round as did Johnny Waldron, Roy Shaw also stopped him . There is a good book called Wildcats by Danny Woolard which is worth a read about these men back in the day,another book mentions Mcleans record but I cant remember it at the moment . Paddy Monaghan was unbeaten as a bare knuckle fighter and has a book out that is also worth a read. Mclean was beaten bare knuckle by a man named Micky Gluckstad who also has a book out .

Good book that wild cats brought it just because of Danny being into the bulldogs. Also seen him on a few documentaries.

To be fair, there's a world of difference in street skill and top level professional.

Think about Kimbo Slice going into the UFC. He got owned by a runt because he didn't expect the guy to rush him and go all out ASAP.

A street thug, albeit a skilled one, is nowhere near the same league as a man whose trained for years, day after day, with the worlds greatest coaches, using the highest level research to perfect fight strategy, cutting edge technology to check technique, and on a strict diet to enhance performance.

One of the major differences, the gloves. I remember an interview with a pro boxer (I can't remember their name) but they said it never hurt being hit by an opponent, even a pro, until they came up against Tyson. Considering they fought a lot pro's, it says a lot about the impact difference of bare knuckle vs boxing. Because of the pain difference (assuming not too much chemical nutrition is involved) the fighters will respond totally differently to being hit.

Did you ever see that fight, Boxer vs Thai Boxer? Thai Boxer just kept taking out the boxer's legs until he could barely stand. Another difference in fighting styles and a flaw in boxing.

Never really been into the bare knuckle boxing scene, but from what I've seen it doesn't look as high earning as pro boxing, and the fighters, although clearly powerful and very capable, are not in the same league as the pro's.

IMHO you can't compare the two, one is a sport that takes years of dedication and hard work the other is a couple if thugs knocking each other about.

But like most things in life, you use what god gave you to earn your crust I suppose.

I knew this lovely old boy when I was a kid, he had been a booth boxer in Scotland, received the cat in prison, been shot outside a club one night (he said they did him a right favour as they found a cancer when they got him on the operating table!!!).......this is how he lived his life, but he wound up totally institutionalised in the end he had done that much bird.

Bloody shame........point being, one can be a progression to a comfortable little life and one is normally a one way ticket.......your rep as a tough guy don't count for much if you can't spend your days in the sunshine IMHO

Edited by WILF

Mclean was beaten bare knuckle by a man named Micky Gluckstad who also has a book out .

That would depend if you accept him as being part of the human race,plenty of folk dont.

As regards pro/bareknuckle its a silly comparison to make nobody would choose to fight bareknuckle instead of turning pro its just something you fall into if you either cant get or are not good enough to get a pro licence.

• Like 3