You Learn Something New Every Day.....

the dog done that feat just over the hour, you see Lads, there was some good dogs knocking about in those days, you would get a pup for a fiver in those days,

or most likely for free, Again as stated, (((( the man who owns Scouser, will tell you, the story,

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Funny that,,,it was always my belief that they use the same seat regular,,I have put hares out of the exact same seat many times....and always assumed it was the same hare,,,as the useless dogs I owne

Hares. Fascinating little beauties ain't they?   If anyone has seen my books then they'll realise I spend ALOT of time watching them and, I am very lucky to have witnessed some amazing behaviour, st

We call them jump seats round here,,,,,,,when they jump,,,,,you slip your pilot dog..........

Posted Images

Quickly back to the original point. Driving local farm land on the quad checking mole traps iv seen hares get out of and sat the same seat several days in a row, not necessarily saying it was the same one but id put money on it being.

I remember last year, hartley being in a seat at the side of a pile of old walling stone next to a disused barn. Over the week or so I was working there he got up as I passed three or four times. I went back for the first time today since moling there last year and sure enough a hare was in the exact same seat between the stones.

What I said I will say just 1 more time because I'm getting bored now.

Early breeding season 9 times out of 10 times the hare that rose first than got retreaved by the dog according to my record's was a buck now I'm presuming right or wrongly that the buck thinks his fitter stronger or maybe just showing the doe what a great fit and health animal to breed with.

I can only guess as none of us talk hartly

my opinion why the buck rises first, is probably, he feels he is the strongest of the two, he will probably do a couple of hops, stretch the ole back leg, and then lay his ears flat on his back then you know were going to have a decent run here, ((( last year my dog, got onto one these good Hares by accident, I was walking a a right away, the Hare took him 3 good fields, twisting turning, but on every bend the hare was pulling 5 to 10 yards from him, I dont know how many bends was put

into him I lost count, but in the end the Hare was running away from my dog,into a wood and gone my dog followed, on without success, after the course I was disappionted in my dog, he was as fit as could be, the Hare was just too good for him, The Hare lives on vegatation, sleeps in all weather, rain hail, snow, the dog there fed on the best excercised to the limit, most live in very good kennels, but mr wright, he is the one, he is the one to get you all thinking, there is not the dog bred, as yet that is able to take his quarry on every run,

• Like 3

When ferreting often find the bucks are first to bolt.

Stalking rabbits with rifle its often the does sat out long enough for you to get of a shot.

From what i gather a dog and vixen in a earth dog will often bolt first.

Males only have one purpose thats to stay alive long enough to spread there genes,as a rule they stay out of dodge.thats my take on it.

• Like 2

When ferreting often find the bucks are first to bolt.

Stalking rabbits with rifle its often the does sat out long enough for you to get of a shot.

From what i gather a dog and vixen in a earth dog will often bolt first.

Males only have one purpose thats to stay alive long enough to spread there genes,as a rule they stay out of dodge.thats my take on it.

oul jd likes facts have you got this all documented an signed by a witness lol

I don't think that's it's inconceivable that a buck could rise first to deter predators away from its mate, similar things happen in the animal kingdom all over the world. I've never seen this happen but it's not as silly as some people on here make out.

Now I don't know wether it's a buck or doe that gets up first,,,and I don't really care.....but rather than saying the buck goes first cos it's protecting the doe,,,, is it not more conceivable that the buck goes first because it's just looking to get out of dodge,,,and get out way of danger,,,,,and possibly the doe,,,sits it out,,,cos the the danger is chasing after the buck,,, and also her being female maybe she more used to hiding from danger,,,especially when leading up to child birth...

Again,, I can't say as I have ever taken much notice ,,,,but I tell you what after this interesting thread,,,next year jan feb,,,lads will be looking at hares bits and pieces,,after shooting them,,,lol

• Like 2

Funny that,,,it was always my belief that they use the same seat regular,,I have put hares out of the exact same seat many times....and always assumed it was the same hare,,,as the useless dogs I owned back in the day couldn't catch them....

Always used to mark every seat i saw with a couple of stones nearby for another day, caught many Hares by doing that.

• Like 1